1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New Cowon Plenue L

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by tiddlywinks, Aug 31, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last
  1. dsrk
    Looks very nice, please post your impressions and comparisons with P1 and R6Pro.

2. jmills8
    Interesting idea. The R6 Pro has the exact dacs and internals as the R6. So would think it will sound the same. This Cowon is my ninth Cowon. First listen its pretty close sounding than the P2. Guess I need more time with the L.

3. twister6 Contributor
    That was exactly my first impression as well, PL closer to P2mk2. The difference is more apparent when you start listening to DSD and other high res files. Need to finish one more review before starting to work on PL. Also, R6Pro arriving soon...

Dukebb13 and jmills8 like this.
  4. Mimouille
    Well hurry up will ya! We haven't got all day.

Dukebb13 and Venture Guy like this.
  5. jmills8
    Wonder is there any describtion how each of the Dac tuning will change the sound ?
    "The PLENUE L provides a wider variety of digital filters than ever before for fine-tuning the ES9038PRO DAC. Extreme micro-tuning is possible via seven DAC filters (Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter I Slow Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter I Apodizing, Fast Roll-Off, Linear Phase Filter I Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter I Slow Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter I Hybrid, Fast Roll-Off, Minimum Phase Filter I Brickwall Filter) for realizing transient signal responses in the time domain. This empowers listeners to tune sounds previously beyond the limits of hearing even with identical sound sources".

6. twister6 Contributor
    Do you hear the changes?

jmills8 likes this.
  7. jmills8
    Theres a slight change, but wished Cowon could explain their intention for each of the choices.

8. twister6 Contributor
    Except for A&K, every DAP manufacturer who uses AKM and ES DACs just brings out access to change digital filters built into those chips. Manufacturers don't even care if the do or don't change anything or how users interpret that because manufactures are not in control of those filters. The only thing Cowon is in control of is JetEffect, other filters - I have seen graphs with impulse figures which are totally meaningless :frowning2: If you hear the change, good. if you don't, it doesn't matter. Personally, I hear only subtle change. Planning to start working on PL review next, so will try to pay closer attention to it, I guess...

jmills8 likes this.
  9. SciOC
    The DAC filters for the ak4497 are explained on akms website and basically mean the exact opposite of what they do. I know it was linked in the m5s thread for the ak, but the ess chip may be explained in their website in the same way or someone may have posted it if not

It wasn't that hard to find for the ak, I bet it's somewhere relatively easy for the 9038 to be found. Hopefully the names make more sense for the ess. I use them on my R6 but changes are minute at best..

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  10. jmills8
    Then the L has that AI thing which changes the eq automatically ? I really like the L.

11. twister6 Contributor
    Yep, they introduced this feature in Plenue 2 mk2, AI Audio. I covered it in more details here. AI Volume is pretty cool, more transparent volume normalizing (than in WM1Z). AI JetEffect, I wasn't too crazy about it because it changes effects based on the genre of the music (assuming from ID3 tag), so you are not in control of it. AI Shuffle is more advanced, but I didn't play too much with it.

jmills8 likes this.
  12. SciOC
    Have you heard the 2 or the 2mkii? If so, how do you think it compares. Right now I have the 2 but am within the return policy period and really trying to decide what to do.... I'm not blown away by it.

jmills8 likes this.
  13. jmills8
    I use Headphone 3 , with a TH900 or a iem like JVC 10,000. Also use an amp with it at times. Which dap blows you away ? What styles of music you testing the Cowon with ?
    20190121_133127.jpg

golov17 likes this.
  14. SciOC
    Mostly rock and alternative, also some classical, electronic and ambient music.

I prefer a highly detailed signature, warmth and smoothness isn't really my thing for a stock tuning. Basically, I like a blank slate that I can modify to my liking with EQ/DSP.

Cowons jeteffect is decent and their EQ is very good, but MSEB on my hiby r6 really gives fantastic control.

15. nanaholic
    @jmills8

May I ask if you use external m3u playlist with the Plenue L? Do you know how to get those working?

First

Back
1 2 3 4
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Next

Last