New Cowon Plenue L
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:40 AM Post #616 of 668
I just checked a brand new out of the package 1tb Sandisk Extreme and it is formatted in ExFat. That is why I formatted it in the Kann before I used it because the A&K Dap formats to Fat32. I'm pretty sure the trick was to use a new, never before loaded card, formatted to Fat32 and loaded while in the Plenue L .

Furthermore, if one checks the properties of the internal memory on Plenue L it is also formatted in Fat32.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #617 of 668
Thanks a lot, @DaYooper !

I am also using a Sandisk Extreme Pro actually, and indeed it was originally formatted in ExFat.

I have tried two different "methods" today:

- First method: inserting the SD card directly in my computer (meaning: not using the Plenue as an intermediate), formatting it in Fat32 using GUIFormat, and loading my music on the card --> did not solve the problem,

- Second method: connecting the Plenue to my computer, inserting the SD card in my Plenue, formatting the SD card in Fat32 (still using GUIFormat), and loading not all but some of my music on the SD card, just to test (as, through the Plenue, the connection is very slow) --> did not solve the problem and made it actually even worse, as my Plenue did not even "see" the music on the SD card afterwards :D

(However: with this second method, I cannot totally exclude that it was my computer that did something wrong / did not manage to transfer the files properly, as it is pretty old and has had some problems in the past, especially with its USB ports...)

About the idea to use a new, never before loaded SD card: while I am very far from being an expert in IT, I have to say that I fail to understand how / why this could make a difference... in my view, there should actually be no difference between a "brand new" SD card that has been formatted in Fat32, and a SD card that has already been used (even multiple times) and that has been formatted in Fat32, as the formatting itself erases the card's content and makes it virtually "new" again... but, as I am clearly not an expert, I am definitely not 100 % sure of course...

Now, the problem is that this idea would require that I buy another 1 Tb SD card in order to try and see if it works... given the price of such SD cards, I have to say that I am not sure that I am ready to try! :D

Should anyone else wish to provide us with some feedback / ideas / advice, please do!

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #619 of 668
All this talk about the L and I just had to plug it in. 4.4 out to C9 in Pre mode to Oppo PM-2. Now I remember how much I enjoyed this little jewel. :L3000:
A solid dap , Im connecting it to a Romi amp. I do like Cayin.

Mar 16, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #621 of 668
Hi all,

Quick update regarding my attempts to make the Plenue L work properly with a 1 Tb SD card!

In the meantime, I have actually formatted the SD card back to ExFAT, using my Sony NW-WM1Z. I still have exactly the same problem (meaning that the Plenue L will refuse to start with the SD card inserted, and that I have to start the Plenue L first and then insert the SD card), but it seems that the Plenue handles the SD card formatted to ExFAT just as well as if it was formatted in FAT32, and that the "database update" goes even faster with the SD card formatted to ExFAT... which is surprising, as (according to Cowon) bigger SD cards should be formatted to FAT32.

In any case, it seems that the Plenue recognises all files and is able to properly play all the songs on my SD card (regardless of its format), so the issue is actually not that problematic... I just have to remember to remove the SD card before starting the Plenue and to insert it again once the Plenue is on.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #622 of 668
The PL

Attachments

• 20220319_120924.jpg
    20220319_120924.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #624 of 668
Hi all

I only post very rarely due to an incredibly busy home and work life, so I hate to be that person who just logs in once in a blue moon to get questions answered, but I've exhausted all other avenues...

I've got a Plenue L on the way (retiring an AK240) and have a couple of questions RE amping. I've done a lot of research and reading up but haven't come across precise answers:

Does it need - as in absolutely definitely need - an amp to satisfactorily drive full-sized headphones with an impedance of up to 50ohms? Doing the basic maths on the spec I know they should be fine up to just over 30ohms, but I've also read some people have managed fine with headphones above that.

I've previously only used DAPs on the go with low impedance IEMs (I've been using Shure SE846 for several years now), so have never needed or desired amping at all, but I have recently become a full-time homeworker so am moving over to full-sized headphones for all-day listening (which I can't do with IEMs - comfort issues [the issue being my ears rather than the IEMs]), so all of this is completely new ground for me despite having used DAPs for over 20 years.

After lots of headphones research I've decided on two - Monolith 1060 and Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X - which are both marketed as "easy to drive from all sources", but both way above the ~30ohms the Plenue L spec suggests, so I'm assuming the "all sources" referred to are more likely to be desktop units like laptops and PCs rather than DAPs.

Also, a further question - if I replace the stock cables in both sets with balanced (although one of them - can't remember which - sounds like the stock cable might already be balanced, despite being 3.5mm rather than 4.4), will that alone negate the need for an amp, or am I still going to be better off amping?

Which means the last question is pretty predictable - if the answer is "get an amp", what should I be looking at? Again, this is completely new territory for me and I've NEVER looked into it before the last week or so of research. An amp would need to be small and portable (not that I will be carrying a full size headphone setup around with me, but I don't really have the space for a desktop amp) and not cost the earth. The choice is overwhelming, but the Fiio E10K seems to be a favourite and is mentioned in more than one review for the Plenue L as a good pairing.

Thanks all, and apologies again for logging in just for answers.

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #625 of 668
Hi all

I only post very rarely due to an incredibly busy home and work life, so I hate to be that person who just logs in once in a blue moon to get questions answered, but I've exhausted all other avenues...

I've got a Plenue L on the way (retiring an AK240) and have a couple of questions RE amping. I've done a lot of research and reading up but haven't come across precise answers:

Does it need - as in absolutely definitely need - an amp to satisfactorily drive full-sized headphones with an impedance of up to 50ohms? Doing the basic maths on the spec I know they should be fine up to just over 30ohms, but I've also read some people have managed fine with headphones above that.

I've previously only used DAPs on the go with low impedance IEMs (I've been using Shure SE846 for several years now), so have never needed or desired amping at all, but I have recently become a full-time homeworker so am moving over to full-sized headphones for all-day listening (which I can't do with IEMs - comfort issues [the issue being my ears rather than the IEMs]), so all of this is completely new ground for me despite having used DAPs for over 20 years.

After lots of headphones research I've decided on two - Monolith 1060 and Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X - which are both marketed as "easy to drive from all sources", but both way above the ~30ohms the Plenue L spec suggests, so I'm assuming the "all sources" referred to are more likely to be desktop units like laptops and PCs rather than DAPs.

Also, a further question - if I replace the stock cables in both sets with balanced (although one of them - can't remember which - sounds like the stock cable might already be balanced, despite being 3.5mm rather than 4.4), will that alone negate the need for an amp, or am I still going to be better off amping?

Which means the last question is pretty predictable - if the answer is "get an amp", what should I be looking at? Again, this is completely new territory for me and I've NEVER looked into it before the last week or so of research. An amp would need to be small and portable (not that I will be carrying a full size headphone setup around with me, but I don't really have the space for a desktop amp) and not cost the earth. The choice is overwhelming, but the Fiio E10K seems to be a favourite and is mentioned in more than one review for the Plenue L as a good pairing.

Thanks all, and apologies again for logging in just for answers.

According to Twister's review the Plenue L happily drives the A-T ATH-R70x which is 470 ohm's.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cowon-plenue-l.23560/reviews

Apr 10, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #627 of 668
It has good power and its 4.4 gives great power.

Apr 10, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #629 of 668
Thanks.

So more than adequate from single ended, with benefits still to be had from going balanced but not essential with either of my headphone choices?
Yep , but adding an amp is fun and adds a special sonething.

Attachments

• 20220212_115015.jpg
    20220212_115015.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back