New Cowon Plenue L
Mar 4, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #646 of 668
It’s really is a good DAP. Send to Steve NPaudio for even better sound!

It’s really is a good DAP. Send to Steve NPaudio for even better sound!
Really? What do you mean by better sound, did you do it? I also thought about sending it to Npaudio but I was afraid that I would no longer have the analogue house sound of Cowon... I'm not interested in having just a little more detail if it loses everything else...

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #647 of 668
Tonally it doesn’t change much. The mod unit just has a more robust bottom end and a tad warmer. The macro dynamic is also improved as well as the spatial imaging.
Really? What do you mean by better sound, did you do it? I also thought about sending it to Npaudio but I was afraid that I would no longer have the analogue house sound of Cowon... I'm not interested in having just a little more detail if it loses everything else...

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #649 of 668
Then the Golden Ears effect will be gone. The Chinese guy at Cowon that designed the sound known as Golden Ears etc. You don't wanna wreck that.
He did the best he can given the budget that he was given. Steve Of NPaudio replaced inferior with quality parts including Audionote Kensei capacitor resulting in better sound. He also replaced ribbon cables with Neotech copper wire to maximize the signal transfer from an audio board to the 4.4 output. The magic is still very much there but just better. As much as I love the stock Cowon L, I still prefer the sound of my modified ZX707 and 1ZM2 over it. Now it is almost as good as my mod 1ZM2.

Mar 5, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #650 of 668
He did the best he can given the budget that he was given. Steve Of NPaudio replaced inferior with quality parts including Audionote Kensei capacitor resulting in better sound. He also replaced ribbon cables with Neotech copper wire to maximize the signal transfer from an audio board to the 4.4 output. The magic is still very much there but just better. As much as I love the stock Cowon L, I still prefer the sound of my modified ZX707 and 1ZM2 over it. Now it is almost as good as my mod 1ZM2.
Well, good to know have you ever tried to use parametric eq, the best ever tried on any device, plus BBE (Jeteffect 7) the only actually working DPS ever seen..? The great strength of the Cowon in the past was due to this extraordinary implementation, without using it its potential is reduced by at least 50%. enormous increase in stage, spatial depth, instrument separation and macrodynamics... however, you have to learn to use it otherwise the sound is easily distorted, such an instrument should be implemented on any Dap, but for now no one has succeeded... for example Hiby Mseb is excellent but does not come remotely close to the exceptional Jeteffect Cowon... it takes the device to the next level...

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #651 of 668
I just had a couple of hours listening, with my fav tracks, using balanced, and I must say what impress me the most vs PM2 is the airyness e spatiality of instruments. Separation is better also. I find a great difference with DSD files, on standard flac it's there, but not so obvious. Anyway, given the price of PM2 , it's still a great sounding machine.

Ps: anyone with a PL could check if vu-meter works with dsd, please? Thanks!

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #652 of 668
I just had a couple of hours listening, with my fav tracks, using balanced, and I must say what impress me the most vs PM2 is the airyness e spatiality of instruments. Separation is better also. I find a great difference with DSD files, on standard flac it's there, but not so obvious. Anyway, given the price of PM2 , it's still a great sounding machine.

Ps: anyone with a PL could check if vu-meter works with dsd, please? Thanks!
It doesn’t work on L playing DSD files.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #654 of 668
Hi guys, I have a problem with internal memory: I formatted to delete previous owner music, I used the device itself function, but now both Plenue L and Windows show only about 7GB internal memory capacity! Tried reinstalling firmware, but didn't work. Any tip? Thanks

Attachments

• 20240305_204929.jpg
    20240305_204929.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #656 of 668
Any ideas? I tried using sdformatter and guiformat, but still no luck, it seems like I have a 7 gb dap right now! What is strange is that files in the root folder are dated 2014, even after fw upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #657 of 668
if it's that tjsong. The main thing is that he sends it. it has already been at auction 5 times)
My heart sank when i read the ebay name above. I have just bought the L off him on the uk ebay site. Checked with him and he promised it was in the post. 5 days later and it's arrived. Very happy. Apparently he had issues with some previous buyers.

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #658 of 668
My heart sank when i read the ebay name above. I have just bought the L off him on the uk ebay site. Checked with him and he promised it was in the post. 5 days later and it's arrived. Very happy. Apparently he had issues with some previous buyers.
Same here. I got my L from him as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back