New Cowon Plenue L
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #181 of 668
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #183 of 668
This is still not available in the US. Can anyone recommend a reputable place to purchase from?

I would say me but currently there's a Plenue L stuck in canadian customs (from uk) to a fellow headfier.

I'm in the same boat looking for a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, It's available in the US but no english version anywhere else.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #184 of 668
Yeah, mine is currently stuck at customs, but I think if you ship via Express courier like DHL or something it should be fine, but it will be like double the price for shipping. Apparently Royal Mail never had any sort of agreement with Canada Post so you don't get tracking while the item is processing in customs like EMS etc. Will update once I get it haha.

Mar 3, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #185 of 668
Yeah I might have to try DHL again. I stopped using them after a really bad experience importing some TRD exhausts from the US, it almost went to court.

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #186 of 668
Just got my PL in today! Huge thanks to Nayparm who hooked me up! So far no impressions of the sound, but from a build quality standpoint these are on the same level as AKs top offerings. If AK was a Lambo the PL would be a McLaren.

Going to pick up my 4.4 cables today too, going to be exciting! 20190305_124149.jpg

Attachments

• 20190305_124213.jpg
    20190305_124213.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #187 of 668
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

I checked the tracking on Canada Post this morning and nothing there ?????? I was getting a bit worried :anguished: lol

Your going to love the sound and all that EQ goodness :L3000:

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #189 of 668
Great. These Cowons DAPs are amazing, small with big sound and amazing EQ that really works, a pure joy. Sold my Plenue S but miss it a lot. Will probably get P2 MK2 soon because of the much lower price and my 2.5mm cables. I just can't find a better value DAP today.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:36 PM Post #191 of 668
Listened to these with Focal Stellia (SE) and my own CE-5 (SE and Balanced) and Mr.Speakers AFO (Balanced). My portable source used to be Fiio Q5 (sold) and most recently Galaxy Note 9. Compared to the Note 9, my CE-5 has a wider soundstage, imaging and resolution. Layering is also much improved over Note 9 and bass hits a bit harder. I haven't messed with the JetEffect stuff but overall it's a nice improvement across the board running everything stock. With headphone mode turned on I was able to drive the Stellia in SE at around 80-82 volume and it sounded very competent. It was my first time also hearing the Stellia myself and it's a very balanced sound sig that's very enjoyable with its excellent dynamics. Very easy to recommend even as a blind buy, definitely one of if not the best closed back you can get right now. Didn't really like my Mr.Speakers sound out of the PL, I think planars definitely need a powerful amp to sound their best. My desktop setup is SMSL SU-8 and THX 789 amp.

Don't have experience with other daps to compare sound but its a great size for portable use and the UI is very simple. I only really have 2 complaints and that's the low resolution of the screen and micro-usb. Screen quality compared to AK and Sony is kind of poor, although I am using it with the screen off most of the time, its still something you want to be better, especially at these price points. I know that the Sony Players has a similar resolution screen, but I think they mask it very well with larger text font and smaller album art.

Overall great purchase, albeit overpriced (even at the price I got it for) this is the cheapest TOTL player you can get. I think it's about 20% improvement over Note 9, if you already have high end IEMs or portable headphones and you want the last few bits of sound quality this is it. Just know that you won't get any bluetooth or wifi so no streaming.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #192 of 668
Its 4.4 is where the PL shines.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #193 of 668
I would recommend some iem to go SE as the balanced output impedance is 1.8ohm so it can affect the sound on some units. Otherwise yeah 4.4 is the way to go, wish I could try the Stellia out of the 4.4 but my XLR>4.4mm adapter was at home lol.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #194 of 668
Well Im using a TH900 through its 4.4. Also at times I added a Mass Kobo amp through its 4.4 which made it a top home set up.
20190203_180734.jpg

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #195 of 668
Listened to these with Focal Stellia (SE) and my own CE-5 (SE and Balanced) and Mr.Speakers AFO (Balanced). My portable source used to be Fiio Q5 (sold) and most recently Galaxy Note 9. Compared to the Note 9, my CE-5 has a wider soundstage, imaging and resolution. Layering is also much improved over Note 9 and bass hits a bit harder. I haven't messed with the JetEffect stuff but overall it's a nice improvement across the board running everything stock. With headphone mode turned on I was able to drive the Stellia in SE at around 80-82 volume and it sounded very competent. It was my first time also hearing the Stellia myself and it's a very balanced sound sig that's very enjoyable with its excellent dynamics. Very easy to recommend even as a blind buy, definitely one of if not the best closed back you can get right now. Didn't really like my Mr.Speakers sound out of the PL, I think planars definitely need a powerful amp to sound their best. My desktop setup is SMSL SU-8 and THX 789 amp.

Don't have experience with other daps to compare sound but its a great size for portable use and the UI is very simple. I only really have 2 complaints and that's the low resolution of the screen and micro-usb. Screen quality compared to AK and Sony is kind of poor, although I am using it with the screen off most of the time, its still something you want to be better, especially at these price points. I know that the Sony Players has a similar resolution screen, but I think they mask it very well with larger text font and smaller album art.

Overall great purchase, albeit overpriced (even at the price I got it for) this is the cheapest TOTL player you can get. I think it's about 20% improvement over Note 9, if you already have high end IEMs or portable headphones and you want the last few bits of sound quality this is it. Just know that you won't get any bluetooth or wifi so no streaming.

Glad to hear your enjoying the Plenue L, had mine on today :L3000:, have you had chance to play with the EQ and BBE etc yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back