NEW CORDA HEADFIVE: A New Amp to Celebrate Head-Fi's Fifth Anniversary!
Oct 18, 2006 at 9:12 AM Post #646 of 805
My sisters boyfriend owns the dt770/80. I'll make shure I'll try It out if I get the chanse. =)

Oct 18, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #647 of 805
I also use DT880s with HeadFive and they do work very well together.

I'd also be very interested in trying out some of the Alessandro headphones, but I'm kind of broke after buying a new CD-player (check the sig), so those will have to wait.

PS. Grado RS2 in Finland: 925€ = $1158,5
frown.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #648 of 805
The Grado sr325 have come down a bit in price in Sweden the last couple of years. When I got mine from the states, they were 4300SEK in Sweden. Now you can get them for 3000SEK from Dustin Home. Might be worth a try.

Karl
running SR325+head5 (among other combos)

Oct 19, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #650 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hevimees
PS. Grado RS2 in Finland: 925€ = $1158,5
frown.gif

Ouch! That is insane.

Oct 20, 2006 at 7:04 AM Post #652 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by THESANTINI
I just purchased the HD595's today. Is this what I need to supplement them?

Yes, it would be a good choice.

I just received my HeadFive to use with HD595s. It's a great match. The HD595s are pretty easy to drive. Many amplifiers have too much gain so you end up just barely cracking the volume knob. The HeadFive is a reasonably low-gain amplifier (multiplies voltage by about 3 or roughly a 10 dB boost). So, you can actually use the volume knob. I'm driving the amp with a hot signal from a DAC (2 volts at digitial full-scale, the loudest sound on a CD). Normal listening is 9 to 10 o'clock on the dial. High noon is all I can stand and there's plenty more on tap. A typical amp with 20 dB or more of gain would be nuts with the HD595s. I'd barely be able to touch the volume knob.

The amp just does what an amp is supposed to do. Drives the headphones cleanly. Very musical. No signs of clipping whatsoever, even at very loud volumes. Effortless.

Biggest surprise? The crossfeed. I fully expected not to like it. But, darn, it really does help with a lot of recordings. Gets rid of the exaggerated "reverb" effect that you get on so many recordings because of the extreme stereo separation of headphones. Imaging gets rock solid with it. I'm finding that I prefer it "on" more often than not.

Summary. Good solid design. Dead quiet. Excellent power supply (and no wal-wart!). Crossfeed filter really works. Superb build quality -- enclosure, volume pot, switches, etc. Small size. Solid.

Oct 20, 2006 at 10:57 AM Post #653 of 805
I just received a package from meier audio. I haven't opened it yet.
But his thing came really fast. He said he'd send it on Wednesday and it should arrive in 5-7 days. But it arrived today, just 2 days after (!).

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #654 of 805
I've been testing the amp a little now. And it's currently on burn in.

A few observations I've made:
The amp surely gives greater instrument separation and there are more details than before. My portapro’s really sound better through the amp. No muddy bass at all.

But I don't think the amp sounds warm at all. It actually sounds "thinner" on my A900ltd than directly out of the cd-player. Thinner might be the wrong word since it sounds better, maybe “lighter” is a better word for it.

Edit:
I must say that I really like the crossfeed. The music sounds more natural; better positioning of the instruments. Now it sounds very echo-ish with the crossfeed turned off.

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #655 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard
Thinner might be the wrong word since it sounds better, maybe “lighter” is a better word for it.

Perhaps balanced could be the word you seek?

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #656 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
Perhaps balanced could be the word you seek?

Maybe, but it shure is less bass/midbass now.

Oct 20, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #657 of 805
I am listening to my Headfive with the 2005 DT990/250's right now. It is SO engaging sounding I have trouble working sometimes
580smile.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #658 of 805
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard
Maybe, but it shure is less bass/midbass now.

I've located the reason behind the lost bass. It was the cables! I had hooked up the amp through my fathers stereo and was using an audioquest silver cable between the cd and the amp. I now tried one of his aq copper cables instead.

What a difference!

Now it doesn't sound bright at all. But at the expense of some details.

The silver cable actually sounded better, and made more for the sound than the amp itself(!). But maybe it should as the cable cost more than I paid for the amp. ^_^

But it’s good to know anyway where the “less midbass” came from.

I never thought that a cable would make such a difference. I’ll certainly not neglect getting good cables from now on.

Now I just need to find a cable with all the details from the silver cable and the warmth from copper. Expensive… hehe
cool.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #659 of 805
I hate to mention it, because you already have the amp......but if you had ordered Meier Audio cables at the same time, it would have been a very good deal (he reduces their price to $115 when purchased with amp). They are of exceptional quality for the money.......you hardly know they're in the line. A friend has them and told me about them. I bought them with an HA-2 and couldn't be happier. I don't know why, but they seem to overlooked here. Maybe people just want to spend more money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #660 of 805
Oh, I didn't know about that one. But as of now I'm more in search of a mini->rca cable.
The Black Dragon or Black Max/Gold seems interesting. Or if I could find a "dark" sounding silver cable (If such a thing exists ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back