New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Apr 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #542 of 789
Not the first time my wallet took a hit for good sound and it won't be the last.

I am glad Alex included tubes with the unit. It will give me a baseline sound to compare when I start rolling.

Hitch up your suspenders and get ready for a fun ride!

You will definitely want to roll some tubes through that beauty, probably sooner than later.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #543 of 789
Not the first time my wallet took a hit for good sound and it won't be the last.

I am glad Alex included tubes with the unit. It will give me a baseline sound to compare when I start rolling.

You will definitely want to roll some tubes through that beauty, probably sooner than later.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #544 of 789
Quote:

Agreed. Tube rolling on this amp, is just fantastic. I've run 5-10 different sets of tubes and all add something new to the table. This amp really is multiple amps made in one unit. 

Apr 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #545 of 789
Can anyone point me to a suitable primer on sonic signatures of various tubes?  For example, if I were seeking tubes to make the LG sound something close to a 300B amp, is there such a thing?  (I realize 300B is a power tube.)  Or tubes that present the clarity and transparency of stat amps?  I guess I'm looking to see how different I can get the LG to sound.

Apr 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #546 of 789
Well, it's not exactly what you're looking for, but you can always read Joe's Tube Lore.  Most tube reviews and thoughts are normally geared toward getting the tubes that best fit a particular listener's ideal rather than seeing how different the reviewer can make the amp sound.  It's an exercise that can be really fun with the LG, but I haven't found a whole lot of applicable reading.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #547 of 789
Well, it's not exactly what you're looking for, but you can always read Joe's Tube Lore.  Most tube reviews and thoughts are normally geared toward getting the tubes that best fit a particular listener's ideal rather than seeing how different the reviewer can make the amp sound.  It's an exercise that can be really fun with the LG, but I haven't found a whole lot of applicable reading.

I'm guessing that the results of tube rolling are so subjective that even if the purpose was to see how different the reviewer can make the amp sound it still might not really match your own perceptions. The LG is my first foray into the world of tube rolling but I'm looking forward to experimenting.

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #548 of 789
The good thing is that it will provide a relative correlation to ones own subjective impressions 
smily_headphones1.gif
  ..dB

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #549 of 789
Quote:
The good thing is that it will provide a relative correlation to ones own subjective impressions 
smily_headphones1.gif
  ..dB

That's a great point.  If you try out a couple of tubes from Joe's Tube Lore, you can form your own opinions and have a basis for comparison for the rest of the tubes.  It also can help give you more options for tubes to try out.  

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #550 of 789
If nothing else, the article from Joe's Tube Lore gives some good info on tube types, brands, etc.

Out of curiosity do the LG owners on this thread stick with NOS or are there any current production models that are worth checking out?

May 5, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #553 of 789
Anyone try CV 181 Shuguang treasure with the Liquid Glass yet? I m curious about their sound and output gain.
Any recommends for 6SN7 pairs around $300. I want clarity, sweet vocal, crispy high, and quality bass.
Last question, I want to upgrade my Dac too (current is wyred dac 2) any quality USB Dac under $4000 on the market?
Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back