New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Apr 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #526 of 789
Input 1 and 2 are the same other than that fact that Input 1 (?) is also connected to the loop out.

The loop out would allow you to integrate it into a system without using the preamp out, thus double amping.

Say you have a CD Player that outputs a Line Level signal (no volume control) which you then run into a preamp for a speaker system, but you want to use that CD player for your headphone amp as well (LG). You could connect the CD player to your LG then the Loop Out of the LG to your Preamp and get the same Line Level signal for both.

Quote:
Just ordered the LG. I am wondering about the input at the back of the amp, (P,L,#1,#2)
(L,#1 come with Loop out)
What does the loop out means? Which input do you guys usually use with this amp? (L,#1,#2) any different?
Thanks,

Apr 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #528 of 789
Quote:
Usually I thing of loop outs are at a fixed level not controlled by the main Potentiometer on the pre-amp. It may be different with the LG.

It's not different.  It's a standard loop out like MT outlined.  I actually go the other way around, feeding my LG via the loop out of my preamp to gain more inputs.  I'd use the LG as a preamp for my speaker system as well, but with relatively sensitive speakers, it's just got too much gain with too many of the tubes I use.  I like to have more than a couple of degrees of play on my volume knob before I wake the neighborhood.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #529 of 789
Quote:
Input 1 and 2 are the same other than that fact that Input 1 (?) is also connected to the loop out.

The loop out would allow you to integrate it into a system without using the preamp out, thus double amping.

Say you have a CD Player that outputs a Line Level signal (no volume control) which you then run into a preamp for a speaker system, but you want to use that CD player for your headphone amp as well (LG). You could connect the CD player to your LG then the Loop Out of the LG to your Preamp and get the same Line Level signal for both.

Correct me if I am wrong, either input 1,2 give the same result? (no significant in term of sound quality)
Moreover, if I don't want to use the loop out, I should use the input #2 for my DAC/CD player right?
Thanks,

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #530 of 789
Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong, either input 1,2 give the same result? (no significant in term of sound quality)
Moreover, if I don't want to use the loop out, I should use the input #2 for my DAC/CD player right?
Thanks,

You probably shouldn't overthink it.  Use input #1 for your DAC/CD player.  When and if you add a second source, use input #2. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #532 of 789
I did in fact have both of them in home for awhile at one point and I'd say the HD800/LG is the closest combo I've heard to the LL1/009. Very, very good. Now that I've sworn off the 009 it'd be my first pick if I were to just randomly buy a headphone rig again.

Quote:
Have any LG owners compared LG/HD800 to LLx/009?

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #533 of 789
Quote:
I did in fact have both of them in home for awhile at one point and I'd say the HD800/LG is the closest combo I've heard to the LL1/009. Very, very good. Now that I've sworn off the 009 it'd be my first pick if I were to just randomly buy a headphone rig again.

Even though the HD800/LG combo is close, you still believe it's worth the 2x the price you would pay to reacquire the 009/LL combo?  I realize the final 5-10% in high-end audio is always disproportionately expensive, but that's pretty high praise for either the 009 and/or LL.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #534 of 789
Even though the HD800/LG combo is close, you still believe it's worth the 2x the price you would pay to reacquire the 009/LL combo?  I realize the final 5-10% in high-end audio is always disproportionately expensive, but that's pretty high praise for either the 009 and/or LL.

I was surprised how much better I thought it was, actually. I was expecting it to be near nothing and thought I'd just keep my HD800s. I hadn't been impressed by any Stax cans I'd heard before that.

The first time I switched back to the HD800 my jaw dropped. It wasn't a subtle difference. Very similar signature (close to neutral with a very slight treble tilt) but better in every way.

So, in the end, I absolutely thought the cost was worth it. Maybe not in price to performance, but if you've got an LG and HD800 you stopped worrying about price to performance a long time ago.

I had the LF and HD800 when I bought the combo and did my inital comparison. I heard the LG in my home AFTER buying the LL1 (but had the same reaction). It was definitely better than the LF but it will couldn't make the HD800 and 009.

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #535 of 789
Quote:
I was surprised how much better I thought it was, actually. I was expecting it to be near nothing and thought I'd just keep my HD800s. I hadn't been impressed by any Stax cans I'd heard before that.

The first time I switched back to the HD800 my jaw dropped. It wasn't a subtle difference. Very similar signature (close to neutral with a very slight treble tilt) but better in every way.

So, in the end, I absolutely thought the cost was worth it. Maybe not in price to performance, but if you've got an LG and HD800 you stopped worrying about price to performance a long time ago.

I had the LF and HD800 when I bought the combo and did my inital comparison. I heard the LG in my home AFTER buying the LL1 (but had the same reaction). It was definitely better than the LF but it will couldn't make the HD800 and 009.

Damn, kinda regretting cancelling my 009/BHSE order.  Although I suppose I now have the chance to try the LL2 instead...

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #536 of 789
Damn, kinda regretting cancelling my 009/BHSE order.  Although I suppose I now have the chance to try the LL2 instead...

The LL2 is an extremely nice piece of gear. I'd be upgrading if I still had my 009s. Build quality is leaps and bounds better than LL1 and it apparently is noticeably better sound wise which is hard to believe, but trusted ears have told me so.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #538 of 789
Long time lurker but decided to jump in. I now have a shiny black LG which came in the other day. It still needs some break in time but even out of the box I am enjoying the sound with an Ayre DAC and HD800. Looking forward to how it sounds after some more time and through my Weiss DAC. I will get around to some tube rolling eventually but need to get a feel for the stock sound first.

Apr 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #539 of 789
Quote:
Long time lurker but decided to jump in. I now have a shiny black LG which came in the other day. It still needs some break in time but even out of the box I am enjoying the sound with an Ayre DAC and HD800. Looking forward to how it sounds after some more time and through my Weiss DAC. I will get around to some tube rolling eventually but need to get a feel for the stock sound first.

Keep in mind that initially there was a question as to whether or not Alex would include any tubes at all.  It's the "tube rollers dream amp" after all.  Either way, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Apr 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #540 of 789
What a way to jump in...My dynamic rig of choice right there amp and can wise.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back