NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Apr 20, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #528 of 3,483
While Jupiter was my gateway drug into campfire's lineup it did have a weird upper midrange for me that even I preferred the Orion over it despite having worse technicalities overall

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:43 PM Post #529 of 3,483
Wha wha whaaat!? Discontinued!?

*sadface

Although the Andromeda was the Jupiter perfected

You can still buy it, but after talking to Ken Ball at CanJam SoCal he mentioned that Jupiter is being phased out. They don’t have it ready for demo there unless you actually ask to demo it

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #530 of 3,483
$199 to $1099. Wow.

You can also go with Empire Ears ESR for 999 which is closer to Comet’s tuning than Andromeda IMO. ESR beats Comet on all fronts too except soundstage which is more or less equal or better to my ears

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #531 of 3,483
I would be interested to know if any BT adapters work well with the CFA dynamics IEMs. With LDAC and other codecs floating around SQ is starting to get pretty decent and there are times when ill take a 10% hit for convenience and comfort. Bluetooth 5 around the corner too!

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #533 of 3,483
I just ordered the Hiby R3 (pledge) and the BTX1. Inspired by Haiwaiibadboy's videos. I'm hoping this Comet + Hiby R3 + BTX1 combination will make for convenient and nice music listening during my daily commute.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #534 of 3,483
I just ordered the Hiby R3 (pledge) and the BTX1. Inspired by Haiwaiibadboy's videos. I'm hoping this Comet + Hiby R3 + BTX1 combination will make for convenient and nice music listening during my daily commute.
Yeah. I got on the R3 train on Day 2. Just got the Sony XBA-N3, but HawaiiBadBoy might just make me change my mind and switch to the Comets. Nothing can replace my Flares Gold, but I like new experiences and replaceable cables - hence the N3 purchase.

I've been following this thread for a while waiting to hear impressions of the Atlas, but it might be the Comets that work better for my needs. I mean really, who here has the Comets and doesn't love them?

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #535 of 3,483
I wouldn’t let that effect your opinion on an iem there is no way anyone can hear that and it can be used as just a marketing gimmick. 20 to 20 is what someone who has all their hearing tends to be at most people especially with age cannot even hear close to 20khz. Maybe 15-16

The point is those frequencies exist in nature and hence should be in the recording where they've been created. You may not be able to hear it, strictly speaking, but that doesn't mean you're not aware of it.

This may be inaccurate, but I've read that the reason some people are unnerved in certain old "haunted" buildings because of low frequency sound created by drafts that are on a similar frequency as some predator animals' very early vocalizations. They cause a subtle vibration in the listener's eyes and the brain still receives the information, even if it's not, strictly speaking, "heard".

I use some binaural meditation recordings that sometimes dip near 5hz and I get a better effect from transducers that can replicate that frequency.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #536 of 3,483
Is the Vega going to be discontinued? I see that it's sold out on your website.
I actually prefer the much more durable finish of the Vega.
The Atlas looks good brand new, but will be covered with micro scratches in no time.
Reminds me of the polished stainless steel on my Apple watch...
When things are used, they acquire wear specific to the characteristics of the user. It gives the item a story. As long as it doesn't affect the function, does it really matter?

It's sometimes different if you receive a marred item because the marring has nothing to do with your story. A pristine exterior might make them more valuable upon resale. Are you selling the earphones on?

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #537 of 3,483
When things are used, they acquire wear specific to the characteristics of the user. It gives the item a story. As long as it doesn't affect the function, does it really matter?

It's sometimes different if you receive a marred item because the marring has nothing to do with your story. A pristine exterior might make them more valuable upon resale. Are you selling the earphones on?

To each their own, but I don't really concern myself about the stories an item can convey through wear and tear. With the rate of new IEMs being introduced, I care more about the resale value. If I wanted to keep an IEM for life, I wouldn't bother with a universal anyway

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #538 of 3,483
E6C668E2-8C69-45EE-BDD1-17B23FDEE57B.jpeg

Campfire Audio Comet, iBasso DX200 with Amp 4, iBasso CA02 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter and iBasso CB13 cable.

Sounds stunningly synergistic.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #540 of 3,483
Just got my Comets. Brief impressions driving it off an iPhone 6S + TIDAL:

- nice well bodied bass
- vocals are incredible (I might get the Orion because of how much I like the vocals on these)
- balanced signature (slightly rolled off treble)
- very comfortable with stock foam tips
- good isolation
- nice minimalist packaging

Conclusion: - very easy to listen to, comfortable with good isolation, I can see these being my go-to for commuting.

Comparisons with ER4XR (not fair I know): - more warm, wider soundstage, less analytical and dry but lower resolution, detail and PRaT. But at $199, it's a must buy imo.

Will update later as I listen to it more and with more songs + different sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back