NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Oct 13, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,206 of 3,483
Hi guys
I purchased atlas recently and I do have the ergonomics problem that will keep drop out from my ear constantly. I’m thinking to get the mold to stick on the atlas. Any suggestion place near Orange County area? Or maybe LA area?

I would try the shirt clip solution IMO to relieve the cable tension and helps keep the IEM secure to your ears

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #2,207 of 3,483
To all frustrated pals with weight and driver flex problems:

I'll insist on that clip! Lifesaver... really, already saved me from a couple of yanks, and makes all the weight disappear...

And the small cuts on the tips, for the driver flex issue... I know it sounds weird, but you got nothing to lose and sooo much to discover!
Since I made those cuts I spoke about before, I have done it with a few of my tips and the result is always the same: air leaves, no driver flex, and sound stays.

A very faint open-back effect in some, but the tips are usually left intact, so it even gives some welcome air to the sound.

I'm loving my tips ever since (wide bore, medium spinfits) with even, open sound across the spectrum. Try it!

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,208 of 3,483
To all frustrated pals with weight and driver flex problems:

I'll insist on that clip! Lifesaver... really, already saved me from a couple of yanks, and makes all the weight disappear...

And the small cuts on the tips, for the driver flex issue... I know it sounds weird, but you got nothing to lose and sooo much to discover!
Since I made those cuts I spoke about before, I have done it with a few of my tips and the result is always the same: air leaves, no driver flex, and sound stays.

A very faint open-back effect in some, but the tips are usually left intact, so it even gives some welcome air to the sound.

I'm loving my tips ever since (wide bore, medium spinfits) with even, open sound across the spectrum. Try it!

Hi
I don’t think the clip will work for me since I have some upgrade cables to use and some cables just too thick or can’t attach the clip. I will try the custom art ear tips for sure since it sound like a perfect solution for me. I think another way to do is sell my atlas and buy equinox.

Thanks

Oct 13, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #2,209 of 3,483
Hi
I don’t think the clip will work for me since I have some upgrade cables to use and some cables just too thick or can’t attach the clip. I will try the custom art ear tips for sure since it sound like a perfect solution for me. I think another way to do is sell my atlas and buy equinox.

Thanks

In fact, just to be clear I would NEVER attach the clip to the cable itself!.... So I'm with you there...

I just found a use for those little velcro strips that came with the Atlas cables...

image.png

The clip is attached to the velcro strip, which just gently goes around the cable... gotta take care of that sweet cable!!

Just to say that it would work with any cable, any width... :wink:

Edit to add: I know it's not the coolest of solutions, but until they market something of the sort, this works nicely!...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #2,210 of 3,483
I’ve had the Comets since the L.A. show. I think I finally got these broken in! Haha. I’ve got other IEMs I use too. Now I see why Ken likes his foams on these. Such a difference from when I first tried them with the foams. Great clarity and body. Love these little guys and such a fantastic traveler. Just all-around great sound! Elton John sounds like magic (pre Lion King of course). :)

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #2,211 of 3,483
Comet's = ba = no burn in required. Maybe you just got used to them or got a decent seal perhaps?

Oct 14, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #2,212 of 3,483
Comet's = ba = no burn in required. Maybe you just got used to them or got a decent seal perhaps?
Maybe, just maybe. I started with the foams but didn’t like them because I thought they muddled the sound. So, I’d been using the Final tips on them. Now using the foams, I get the space and the clarity. Go figure.

Oct 14, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #2,213 of 3,483
Maybe, just maybe. I started with the foams but didn’t like them because I thought they muddled the sound. So, I’d been using the Final tips on them. Now using the foams, I get the space and the clarity. Go figure.
Final E are not good choice imho. They squelch the mids a bit. Not surprised you like foams better.

Oct 14, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #2,214 of 3,483
I’ve had the Comets since the L.A. show. I think I finally got these broken in! Haha. I’ve got other IEMs I use too. Now I see why Ken likes his foams on these. Such a difference from when I first tried them with the foams. Great clarity and body. Love these little guys and such a fantastic traveler. Just all-around great sound! Elton John sounds like magic (pre Lion King of course). :)

It's sound sig is definitely meant for foam tips, just like the Vega

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #2,215 of 3,483
If driver flex is preventing the transmission of sound, you could try this on any cheap tip before doing it on some pricier tips. Get a thickish pin (or in my case this hook cutter - i forgot what it's called) and check the insertion length of the atlas for that tip, puncture a hole in the tip core (small at first and try to increase till it can comfortably release the pressure) near where the tip should end. Turn it back to normal and try inserting it. I use these on the go, when I need fast and deep insertion anytime (ohhh a quickie!!) and it works in preventing driver flex and allows deeper insertion. There is a slight change in the sound because of the makeshift vent, so ymmv on its usability.

DSC_0810_1539612009623.jpg

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #2,216 of 3,483
Do those IEMs have vents, especially front ones?

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,217 of 3,483
If driver flex is preventing the transmission of sound, you could try this on any cheap tip before doing it on some pricier tips. Get a thickish pin (or in my case this hook cutter - i forgot what it's called) and check the insertion length of the atlas for that tip, puncture a hole in the tip core (small at first and try to increase till it can comfortably release the pressure) near where the tip should end. Turn it back to normal and try inserting it. I use these on the go, when I need fast and deep insertion anytime (ohhh a quickie!!) and it works in preventing driver flex and allows deeper insertion. There is a slight change in the sound because of the makeshift vent, so ymmv on its usability.

Lol… I’ve been saying it for a few days now…

but I recommend using a sharp edged point like a small cutting knife or in my case, small scissors, that way the tip’s silicone remains structurally intact. In fact, I can’t even see the cuts I’ve made to mine (4 transversal cuts on the tip's bell! not the tube...) and the airflow is perfect when needed, while the effect on sound is really minimal to none.

The way to go!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #2,218 of 3,483
Lol… I’ve been saying it for a few days now…

but I recommend using a sharp edged point like a small cutting knife or in my case, small scissors, that way the tip’s silicone remains structurally intact. In fact, I can’t even see the cuts I’ve made to mine (4 transversal cuts on the tip's bell! not the tube...) and the airflow is perfect when needed, while the effect on sound is really minimal to none.

The way to go!

By that I'm assuming you cut slits on the very tip of the silicone tip? Which should work to bleed out air, but can invite tearing of the tip from accidents. I opted for a hole in the tube since it's furthest away from being touched or manipulated once done.

Either is fine I believe, but in case i want to reverse the process, a bit of super glue to the tube hole or even blutack can return it to 'normal' and it wont be easy to see (or bother me, oc tendencies are a pain)

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #2,219 of 3,483
By that I'm assuming you cut slits on the very tip of the silicone tip? Which should work to bleed out air, but can invite tearing of the tip from accidents. I opted for a hole in the tube since it's furthest away from being touched or manipulated once done.

Either is fine I believe, but in case i want to reverse the process, a bit of super glue to the tube hole or even blutack can return it to 'normal' and it wont be easy to see (or bother me, oc tendencies are a pain)

My problem with the tube was that, at least the ones I tried that with, the tube ripped, and that was that for the tip. I tried superglue and the force of putting the tube back on the hem tears the hole back.
Maybe it depends on the tip.
Cutting at the "bell" instead, seems to be able to sustain the cut and remain intact, and since it is at the right place to allow air flow, some twists and it's on.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #2,220 of 3,483
My problem with the tube was that, at least the ones I tried that with, the tube ripped, and that was that for the tip. I tried superglue and the force of putting the tube back on the hem tears the hole back.
Maybe it depends on the tip.
Cutting at the "bell" instead, seems to be able to sustain the cut and remain intact, and since it is at the right place to allow air flow, some twists and it's on.

Both cases seem to derive problems from the thinness or weakness of the material. I used those generic tips from some of my China IEMs, its still holding from all of the pulling and installing i did. A hole from a huge safety pin should prevent tearing as its just a hole. The sewing implement i used tears a gash, but its not big enough to cause tearing or destruction in my case. On the tips, a hole too might prolong use insted of a cut. I've had a generic tip grow a tiny cut from the bottom bell slowly going up with use till it doesn't seal anymore, it's why i thought a tip cut might do the same with prolonged use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back