NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #2,177 of 3,483
Hey Timetochill,

The Atlas is the least likely to be equated to being "sibilant" so something is not right here. First lets define "sibilant" so we can go over the possible causes.

Sibilant (or Sibilance) - "Essy", exaggerated "s" or "sh" sounds in vocals. Sibilant sounds carry most of their energy through the 4Khz to 8Khz range, but can extend to 10kHz, depending on the individual. Sibilance is often heard on radio.

I hear a sss or sh anything as being peaky and hot, so exaggerated Sh or SS.

#1 Case would be a poor seal in your ear, so your ear tips are leaking air = not air tight. If your have even a pin hole leak in your ear tips you will lose a lot of low end bass and the whole system will sound thin and hot. You need to make 100% sure your ear tips have a good solid air tight fit. The best IEM in the world will sound like absolute crap if you do not have a air tight fit. Please experiment with all your tips and pressure of the IEM in your ear so your are certain that you have a air tight fit. SUPER IMPORTANT. If you have a lot of ear hairs in the canal, so ear hairs in between your tip and skin this can cause a leak.

#2 Switch to a foam tip, silicone tips I do not like. I can take a silicone tip and measure it and then take the exact same IEM and measure it with a foam tip and the high frequency will be totally different. The silicone tip will have a narrow and tall FREQ curve, sharp spike like freq. A foam tip typically generates a much wider and less tall peak = softer and more extended peak. Works the other way as well, if you have a IEM that is too dark, use a silicone tip.

#3 Impedance mismatch, try a different source. I think this is unlikely.

#4 Your Atlas is out of spec

#5 You have extreme sensitivity to the resonance peak the Atlas has inherent.

If you think #4 I am happy to receive it and put on my AP audio analyzer to see if this is the case. We really want you to be happy.

Cheers

Ken

Hey Ken,
I tried the foams, which I usually never use for any IEMs I own, and the sibilance I'm hearing was pretty much non-existant. So I think it was definitely a fit issue. They sound a lot more full and dynamic now. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out and enlightening me with all this information.

Oct 10, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #2,178 of 3,483
I'd love some custom tips for my Atlas! Are there any other reccomended companies? I took a look at amplifon.com and looked at NZ, and didn't see anything :/

I live in New Zealand, so imagine I'll need to look off shore.

Starkey might be able to help you out. I was looking at getting custom tips done for another pair I have and they were recommended by Bay Audiology. Wasn’t going to be a cheap job though, the quote was $220

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #2,179 of 3,483
I paid CHF 180.-- for my amplifon custom tips, but the customer service is amazing, I chose this shop because I also ordered custom tips for using with my motorcycle.

For my Vegas I ordered customs tips from Custom Art in Poland, waiting now....

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #2,180 of 3,483
Custom tips are removable eartips that are custom made to the shape of your ears. You need to get custom molds of your ears done by an audiologist and send those molds to whoever is making the tips and those molds are what he uses to make the tips. The tips then go over the nozzle of the atlas and are removable just like the tips that come with the atlas, except they are custom to your ears so they should fit better.

Thanks a lot for the clarification sorrick. I was confused by the other process, which is reshelling, where the whole IEM is "embedded" within a shell that you can no longer separate from the IEMs. I have contacted a local shop where I will probably have my custom tips done.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #2,181 of 3,483
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,182 of 3,483
I'm not getting that with mine. Give me an example track where it's showing up and I check on mine.
There is one song that is sibilant on every earphone for me, it's "Medicine Man" by Dr.Dre from Compton album. Male vocals, specially at the beginning.
If anyone interested to check, I would love to hear your opinion. Might be that I don't correctly recognize what sibilance is.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,187 of 3,483
What do you NZ’s think about Neil Finn in Fleetwood Mac?
Sorry, way off topic but since you guys are around...

If they can keep their lineup in one piece long enough to complete a tour, then it's a great opportunity for him!

Oct 11, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #2,188 of 3,483
Just to add some hype about Solaris. KB statement from another forum :)

"Hey Guys,

We are committed to not gouging our customers, its sad to see others taking advantage of customers and frankly ruining the market. Loyalty and brand trust is way more important to us here at CFA. Not to sound cocky or anything but if we are comparing sonic and build value we could ask for well into the 3K+, easy... based off sheer performance of the Solaris vs competitors offerings, we choose not too gouge. I think people will be happy with the price and even happier with the performance.

Stay tuned.

KB"

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #2,189 of 3,483
KB sure sounded excited about something in the near future at the RMAF CanJam! I didn't want to talk about it until some info came out. Now with the Solaris out of the bag, KB must have been referencing it. He said it will be a hybrid that is going to be amazing! I'm looking forward to what the Solaris has to offer. CFA and KB truly value their customers.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #2,190 of 3,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back