NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Sep 30, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,116 of 3,483
I have observed this driver/flex suction phenomenon. Sound goes out when push on earpiece with certain tips installed. Comes right back. Will this hurt the driver? I ask because it’s worth putting up with if you like the tips your using.

Hi tlcocks,

Have you tried the "lift/insert/drop method"?

1. Lift the ear
  2. Insert IEM
  3. Drop ear

I haven't tried this but, as per other comments, it should get rid of the driver/flex effect.

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #2,117 of 3,483
Hi tlcocks,

Have you tried the "lift/insert/drop method"?

1. Lift the ear
  2. Insert IEM
  3. Drop ear

I haven't tried this but, as per other comments, it should get rid of the driver/flex effect.
Will try, but if fails to help, will this driver/flex effect hurt the driver?

Sep 30, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #2,118 of 3,483
Reading up on this. My problem is a momentary loss of sound, not crackling noise. Is this still driver flex?

Sep 30, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #2,121 of 3,483
So my Atlas turned up today :D

@SteveKiwi customs didn't touch my parcel, so I skipped about $350NZD ($230usd) customs! There was no price declaration on the parcel,nothing to indicate they were expensive, and had my work address (govt based) on it, so... Well I'm feeling rich today despite everything

I couldn't resist plugging them into my smartphone. Had a 5 minute listen and to be honest wasn't super impressed compared to my Sony wi-1000x, the Sonys have considerably more bass too, so I'm hoping an dac/amp really wakes these up :)

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,122 of 3,483
So my Atlas turned up today :D

@SteveKiwi customs didn't touch my parcel, so I skipped about $350NZD ($230usd) customs! There was no price declaration on the parcel,nothing to indicate they were expensive, and had my work address (govt based) on it, so... Well I'm feeling rich today despite everything

I couldn't resist plugging them into my smartphone. Had a 5 minute listen and to be honest wasn't super impressed compared to my Sony wi-1000x, the Sonys have considerably more bass too, so I'm hoping an dac/amp really wakes these up :)

Yes it's a mystery to me how NZ customs work
With the Atlas they seem to be VERY tip dependent and you really have to either stuff them in your ears or have a really loose fit to get the best out of them.

With foams it has to be really stuffed in your ears, with the Final E tips it seems a looser fit achieves the desired result.

I have the Sony's too and love them, but once you have the correct fit for you the bass of the Atlas comes through.

One other thing with the Atlas, with all the silicon tips if the seal is too tight the drivers will go silent completely, then come back to life once the pressure equalizes.

From what I've read this seems common to most people.

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #2,125 of 3,483
Yes it's a mystery to me how NZ customs work
With the Atlas they seem to be VERY tip dependent and you really have to either stuff them in your ears or have a really loose fit to get the best out of them.

With foams it has to be really stuffed in your ears, with the Final E tips it seems a looser fit achieves the desired result.

I have the Sony's too and love them, but once you have the correct fit for you the bass of the Atlas comes through.

One other thing with the Atlas, with all the silicon tips if the seal is too tight the drivers will go silent completely, then come back to life once the pressure equalizes.

From what I've read this seems common to most people.
The first day I tried them with iPhone too. Didn’t immediately fall in love. First listen from phone bass woolly and mids slightly amorphous. They needed break in and proper tip selection. Spend time doing those two things and within a few days you’ll love them and never wanna go back to your Sony. See my previous comparisons. Tonight I listened to Diana Krall’s debut album with RHA tips. Was absolutely blown away. Now I’m gonna put the phone down and listen to some more.

Sep 30, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #2,126 of 3,483
Atlas: How to wear

Over or hanging down as preferred.

I prefer over the ear as the cable resting on top of my ear helps lock them in place

The shape is largely uniform and straight apart from the place where the MMCX connects. Use this in conjuction with your individually shaped ear canal as a counter weight of sorts to achieve the tight balance.

Insertion: pull the ear up and back, or up and out to straighten the ear canal. Then insert and release your fingers.

Maybe there is sound, maybe not. If not angle the Atlas from side to side this releasing some of the pressure, push it in a bit again and repeat if necessary. Find the resting balance point.

Tips: they will color the sound a bit of course.
Regardless as far as fit I found I had to ! go down a size ! with my usual JVC Spiral dots to get the right fit.
Also seasonally cold and hot I change my tip sizes and they seem to contract and expand.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #2,127 of 3,483
The first day I tried them with iPhone too. Didn’t immediately fall in love. First listen from phone bass woolly and mids slightly amorphous. They needed break in and proper tip selection. Spend time doing those two things and within a few days you’ll love them and never wanna go back to your Sony. See my previous comparisons. Tonight I listened to Diana Krall’s debut album with RHA tips. Was absolutely blown away. Now I’m gonna put the phone down and listen to some more.

I listened to a song with full volume on my Samsung... 30 minutes later my ears are still sore from volume I think :/ I like to listen loud, perhaps high end iems aren't for me, or perhaps I just need to expand the sound more :)

I've only ever used comply tips, I can't wait to play around with the others and see how they go!

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,128 of 3,483
I listened to a song with full volume on my Samsung... 30 minutes later my ears are still sore from volume I think :/

It's a DAC effect IMO. If you listen to a better DAC, the sound will not tire your ears even you crank it up really loud.

Sep 30, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #2,129 of 3,483
It's a DAC effect IMO. If you listen to a better DAC, the sound will not tire your ears even you crank it up really loud.

That's exciting to hear, I've got an Oppo HA-2, Cayin c5, and iFi micro Black Label at my disposal.. I'll try those one.

I may end up buying a DAP, in which the AK70, or the Hiby r6.. But I need to put some time into looking into those more

Oct 1, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #2,130 of 3,483
You are right, I actually owe this to myself.

You're right!! and I'm happy that you do get my point!

Too many people to quote so just some thoughts to share:

- After a 100 hour burn-in (connected to the iPad 20 hours a day until Sunday...) and the sound began to open by Saturday!... but it did open, and WOW!
Beautiful and impressive all around.
The better the quality of the file, the better they make you feel...
My head is still getting used to the booming of the bass though! Only a couple of hours of actual listening however...
- Driver flex is an issue, IMO due to the tips, too soft... lifting the ear helps tremendously
- but still sound signatures are always very tip dependent and I haven't quite scored the central one (good mix of H, M and L)
- waiting for the triple flanges (cuttable to two just in case) and let's see.

Thanks to al you who share experiences and info, it's fun hobby and fun being here!

PS last note

- DAP on the works... these babies deserve an excellent reproduction, because of their brutal honesty... thinking of the L6.
Hope I have the same luck with the customs! Here in Italy it's a tossup...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back