NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas
Sep 22, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #2,011 of 3,483
I own the Caynin N5 II now with massdrop plus, it's fine but I don't notice a quality difference between my PC soundcard and the dap. Since IDC about Android would the m3 be a better dap maybe for me?

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #2,012 of 3,483
Hi @ExpatinJapan . Thanks for your comment. At the moment I'm considering these:

- iBasso DX150
- Cayin N5 II
- FiiO X5 III
- Shanglin M3s
- HiBy R3
- A&K AK70 1st gen.
- FiiO M7 -> I'd love this one due to the FM radio but I think I'm going to have to leave this out: it's output is 40mW @ 32 ohms only. Unless someone enjoys its SQ comparing it to other DAPs.

I'm leaning towards the iBasso DX150 even though my wallet says nonono! But the Cayin or the Shanglin M3s look good too.

If you fancy the idea, could you please make a brief comparisson between the DX150, the DX120 and the MS3? I'm mostly interested in how is the bass response on each.

Thanks! :)
As I previously posted, the M3S, out of your list would more than likely deliver you the best "all-around" experience. I also mentioned to you the Opus#1S because it appears bass is import ant to you. The Opus#1S has a more full, rich signature. The M3S delivers awesome clarity and has a "punchier" bass delivery. Both of these will offer you a near perfect GUI experience with the Opus#1S being a touch more polished. The M3S is more full featured. Both have more than enough power to drive the Atlas and both pair well.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #2,013 of 3,483
As I previously posted, the M3S, out of your list would more than likely deliver you the best "all-around" experience. I also mentioned to you the Opus#1S because it appears bass is import ant to you. The Opus#1S has a more full, rich signature. The M3S delivers awesome clarity and has a "punchier" bass delivery. Both of these will offer you a near perfect GUI experience with the Opus#1S being a touch more polished. The M3S is more full featured. Both have more than enough power to drive the Atlas and both pair well.

Hi @subguy812. Yes, I am narrowing my search between the $279 M3S and the new (just out) iBasso DX120. I didn't mention the Opus for unfortunately it is not available in my country, though Amazon has it listed, but thanks for letting me know about it.

The DX120 looks like quite a competitive DAP at just $299 imho but I'd love to see more reviews.

These are its specs:

400mW @ 32 ohms BAL.
100mW @ 32 ohms SE.
16 hours battery time.
0.38 ohms BAL / 0.3 ohms SE Output Impedance

Unfortunately there are not much reviews regarding its SQ yet or how it would pair with the Atlas.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2,014 of 3,483
Hi @subguy812. Yes, I am narrowing my search between the $279 M3S and the new (just out) iBasso DX120. I didn't mention the Opus for unfortunately it is not available in my country, though Amazon has it listed, but thanks for letting me know about it.

The DX120 looks like quite a competitive DAP at just $299 imho but I'd love to see more reviews.

These are its specs:

400mW @ 32 ohms BAL.
100mW @ 32 ohms SE.
16 hours battery time.
0.38 ohms BAL / 0.3 ohms SE Output Impedance

Unfortunately there are not much reviews regarding its SQ yet or how it would pair with the Atlas.
May I ask where you are located? Also, Musicteck includes a case with the purchase https://shop.musicteck.com/collections/shanling/products/shanling-m3s-portable-hi-res-music-player
I have been told they ship anywhere and supposedly they are fair with their shipping.

I have been told the iBasso's have excellent sound but their UI has some frustrations. Anyone that has used the DX devices could confirm.

The Shanling M3S had some control wheel issues at one point and I am not sure if they have corrected it, I would encourage yo to go to the Shanling M3S thread and ask.

I can confirm the UI and the SQ is very good.

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,015 of 3,483
Any thoughts on this? I have the SE846 now and am considering the Atlas, but don't want to move forward if it's not a significant upgrade.

Sep 23, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #2,016 of 3,483
I own Atlas. Have heard shure 846 on my shure sha900 dac/amp, as well as the atlas. Atlas is a huge upgrade inSQ from 846 in all ranges. Mids bass treble all better. And my sha 900 has a killer parametric EQ on board. Atlas eq’s WAY better than shure 846’s, if you even need it. The bass and sound coming from Atlas is HUGE and very hi fi. One other poster said it best: it’s like having hi fi floorstanding speakers in each ear.
CA Atlas is easily the best iem. It has the best of the CA Andromeda (which I also love) but also the huge bass head bass that Andromeda doesn’t have. It’s a dream come true.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #2,019 of 3,483
I own Atlas. Have heard shure 846 on my shure sha900 dac/amp, as well as the atlas. Atlas is a huge upgrade inSQ from 846 in all ranges. Mids bass treble all better. And my sha 900 has a killer parametric EQ on board. Atlas eq’s WAY better than shure 846’s, if you even need it. The bass and sound coming from Atlas is HUGE and very hi fi. One other poster said it best: it’s like having hi fi floorstanding speakers in each ear.
CA Atlas is easily the best iem. It has the best of the CA Andromeda (which I also love) but also the huge bass head bass that Andromeda doesn’t have. It’s a dream come true.

SO looking forward to purchasing the Atlas! Thanks for your impressions @tlcocks. The only thing I'm concerned is about the fitting, especially when walking, which is what I'm going to use them the most. I guess it all depends on the shape of your ears...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #2,020 of 3,483
SO looking forward to purchasing the Atlas! Thanks for your impressions @tlcocks. The only thing I'm concerned is about the fitting, especially when walking, which is what I'm going to use them the most. I guess it all depends on the shape of your ears...

The main problem i see with Atlas is the fit and the weight.The best tip as many others say is the e final in that it gives the most balanced sound without dampening the highs like the stock ones.Unfortunately
depending on your ear shape they are better for stationary use as they tend to fall out of the canal very easily and the last thing you want is your $1300 iem hitting on the pavement as you walk.

Other than that Atlas is very worthy of its pricetag as it does everything at a very high level especially the ammount of detail it provides for a dynamic driver and the very beautiful,mellow,full of body although slightly recessed midrange.
Here is a review to help you make up your mind https://time-lover.com/2018/09/23/o100000-earphone/ (I love the precision in the colouring of the star rating)

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #2,021 of 3,483
The main problem i see with Atlas is the fit and the weight.The best tip as many others say is the e final in that it gives the most balanced sound without dampening the highs like the stock ones.Unfortunately
depending on your ear shape they are better for stationary use as they tend to fall out of the canal very easily and the last thing you want is your $1300 iem hitting on the pavement as you walk.

Other than that Atlas is very worthy of its pricetag as it does everything at a very high level especially the ammount of detail it provides for a dynamic driver and the very beautiful,mellow,full of body although slightly recessed midrange.
Here is a review to help you make up your mind https://time-lover.com/2018/09/23/o100000-earphone/ (I love the precision in the colouring of the star rating)

Hi Caruryn. Thanks for pointing me towards the E Final tips at http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/earpiece.html

I've been looking for them in Europe and I have came across this:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=final+silicone+eartips

126_ext_10_en_0.jpg

Now my questions are:

- Does the Atlas come with E Final tips?
otherwise,
- In your opinion, which type should I purchase, Type A, B, C or E?

Also, the review you mention is in japanese, which is still another one of my pending things to learn on this lifetime... :) But don't worry, I think I've read each and every one Atlas review on the net by now! :D

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #2,022 of 3,483
Hi Caruryn. Thanks for pointing me towards the E Final tips at http://snext-final.com/en/products/accessories/detail/earpiece.html

I've been looking for them in Europe and I have came across this:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=final+silicone+eartips

126_ext_10_en_0.jpg

Now my questions are:

- Does the Atlas come with E Final tips?
otherwise,
- In your opinion, which type should I purchase, Type A, B, C or E?

Also, the review you mention is in japanese, which is still another one of my pending things to learn on this lifetime... :) But don't worry, I think I've read each and every one Atlas review on the net by now! :D
Yes e final tips are included but i read somewhere that the japanese azlasedna earfit are the best for Atlas apart from going custom.But don't you have google translate in your browser?

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #2,023 of 3,483
The large comply foams really hold them firmly in place. The sound best too. Can always wear over the ear too.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,024 of 3,483

I found the comply tips sounds more open with the mids than final tips.

Sep 24, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #2,025 of 3,483
I found the comply tips sounds more open with the mids than final tips.
They also grip best and counter the weight of earphones, which by the way is not bad and quite manageable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back