1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

NEW - Campfire Comet and Atlas

First

Back
124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
Next

Last
  1. sorrick
    The atlas are built like tanks. I wouldn't recommend it because they at a $1300 item, but you can sit on them if you wanted to and the items themselves would be fine. Perhaps you could send the mmcx connector of the cable with enough force, but the items themselves would be fine. Also, with their dynamic driver, the atlas is driver actually less prone to getting damaged by impacts than balanced armatueur drivers. I'm not saying you should abuse your items, but with decent care, they should easily last well over 5 years. There really isn't all that much to break in them, particularly if you are not cable swapping all of the time (which you would not need to do although some like to try different cables to subtlely tweak the sound). Don't submerge them in water, don't stick them in an MRI machine or other giant magnet, but otherwise they should be fine

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Colors likes this.
  2. deafmutelame
    Makes sense, yup. Hopefully that won't happen. Thanks theveterans.

3. deafmutelame
    Airport scanners should be fine, I understand, right? Auto-answer: otherwise I guess that there would be loads of reports of broken IEMs all over the place...

4. deafmutelame
  5. sorrick
    Yes, airport scanners are totally fine

deafmutelame likes this.
  6. deafmutelame
    Thanks sorrick.

Question: how about the "perfect" (sure, "perfect"... :thinking: ) DAP for the Atlas at a moderate price (below $500), taking into consideration sensitivity, OI and output power so that an external amp is not needed and hiss/noises are not audible?

[​IMG]

These are the technical specs of the Atlas:

5Hz–20 kHz Frequency Response
    105 dB SPL/mW Sensitivity
    19 Ohms @ 1kHz Impedance
    Less than 1% Total Harmonic Distortion

iBasso DX150 - $499

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/20180427/201804272105592243.pdf

FiiO M7 - $194:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Source: https://www.fiio.com/m7_specifications

HiBy R3 - $229

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shanling M3s - $279

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please feel free to suggest any other DAP worthy of the Atlas below $500.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  7. Audiophonicalistic
    I listened to the dx150 and I was very impressed. I havent listened to the others. Dx150 picked up all the details of my songs and sounded very musical.

8. marcusd
    Out of that lineup, I used the DX150 a lot for the review. I found the Atlas doesn't need power quite as much as the Vega did. You can also swap around amp cards if you build up a collection so you can opt for neutral, powerful or middle of the road. No noise issues.

9. deafmutelame
    Thanks @Audiophonicalistic & @marcusd .

I shall consider the DX150 though it's a bit beyond my budget.

10. deafmutelame
    Regarding performance with the Atlas, how do you think this DAP would behave?

It's within my budget ($200) *and* it has FM radio, which is a plus to me, for I listen to it quite a lot when I'm going for a walk.

The chips used are SoC: Samsung Exynos 7270 and DAC:ES9018Q2C which should be quite decent.

The thing I'm concerned the most and why I'm asking here is its low? output power, 70mW @ 16 ohms. My current DAP, the X1, has got 56mW @ 16 ohms, so I guess it could be worse...

Do you think this could be an issue with the Atlas, sound quality wise?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. marcusd
    I am testing that combo tonight but based on my other uses with the M7 its ok, power is not a huge issue anymore with the Atlas compared to the Vega but the M7 is not as detailed or resolving as the DX150. I would say if you grab the BTR3 then LDAC wireless is very good.

12. subguy812
    Out of the DAP's mentioned I would probably opt for the Shanling M3s. The Opus#1S is a very nice pairing also. With the Shanling, the UI is pretty solid and many of the iBasso DAP's have their niggles in the UI.

13. JaZZ Contributor
  14. deafmutelame
    Oh, excellent, please let us know what do you think about it when you test it, for I might actually be very interested on pairing that M7 with the Atlas. I'm especially interested in how does it behave in the bass department.

15. ExpatinJapan
    Theres also the new DX120.

Which I have here but cant recommend yet as its still in the box and I have yet to listen to it (tomorrow).

DX150 is versatile with all its amps.
    Then you would have to find which amp complements it best (same with any dap).

M7 I havent really tried em together or the MS3 much.

I have even derived pleasure with the Shanling m0 and Hidizs AP80 with the Atlas.

I usually use it with the 4.4mm ALO Audio cable I have (like original just different termination) so that means using the iBasso DX200 or FiiO X7ii and their 4.4mm amps.

Its difficult as daps are quite similar in signature more and more as time goes by. But resolution, lack of listening fatigue etc do often go hand in hand as one goes up the chain.

For a US$1000 earphone its about finding which dap has the features you want, then narrowing it down within your budget. Finding that sweet spot where your earphones can reach their best but not break the bank.

At least they are DDs so its a little easier.

First

Back
124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133
135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144
Next

Last