New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Aug 1, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #467 of 602
I've re-read the whole thread, and see a variety of answers, but I thought I'd ask again since everyone has had their Playmates for a while, and Burson has a 48-hour sale on opamps. I have the stock version, but I got some V6 Classics a while back. I'm wondering if I should get 2 Vivids and run in the Everest configuration, or get 2 more Classics (for 4 total) or just 4 Vivids? I listen to mostly metal and rock, and love bass. Any recommendations?

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #468 of 602
The way I think of the difference between classic and vivid is that vivids have a wider soundstage and are more energetic sounding. The classics make the soundstage feel closer more intimate and the detail is slightly better. I like having a combo of the two types.

Aug 1, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #469 of 602
The way I think of the difference between classic and vivid is that vivids have a wider soundstage and are more energetic sounding. The classics make the soundstage feel closer more intimate and the detail is slightly better. I like having a combo of the two types.

Do we need 1, 2, 3 or 4 op amps for the SWING DAC? Its not clear on the website. I think someone reported one of the op amps doesnt fit in the SWING box, no?.

Aug 1, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #472 of 602
The two duals are for IV and LPF and should be identical. The singles are for output buffers and should also be identical.
Of course, you can mix Classics with Vivids if you want, for example: 2 x V6 Classic duals + 2 x V6 Vivid single.

Aug 2, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #473 of 602
I have been running 2x V6 Vivid duals in the Playmate for the last several weeks. I’m very happy with the sound coming from this setup. Very detailed and spacious sound. Very natural timbre and still a lot of power to spare. Running both my Senn HD650 and my Dekoni Blues from Playmate and having a blast.

Aug 2, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #474 of 602
I've re-read the whole thread, and see a variety of answers, but I thought I'd ask again since everyone has had their Playmates for a while, and Burson has a 48-hour sale on opamps. I have the stock version, but I got some V6 Classics a while back. I'm wondering if I should get 2 Vivids and run in the Everest configuration, or get 2 more Classics (for 4 total) or just 4 Vivids? I listen to mostly metal and rock, and love bass. Any recommendations?
Get 2 Vivids. As Playmate use only dual op-amps you can swap them and see what configuration you like.

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #475 of 602
Finally after a few plays, I try to say a few things about playmate.
I state that in the past I have had devices and headphones even of a certain level. After selling everything, I took a break also due to the problem with my ear.
Recently I have approached the world of headphones with more practical solutions always buying dac and integrated amplifiers.
Currently my headphone is an ultrasone edition 5 limited, headphone snubbed certainly for the important price and because it is not fashionable. I found an unmissable opportunity and bought it.
Returning to the playmate, thanks to the various discounts I took the op-amp to replicate the everest configuration. Since I arrived before the playmate I only listened to the bursons.
My source is a lg v30 with uapp in bit perfect mode
Regarding the construction quality, for the price class,the quality of the case, the circuit and the components seems to me good. The only defect I found is related to USB and power connectors. If I touch the back or move the device, it turns off and comes back on, due to some contact. Alex from Burson told me that it is normal and not to touch the device. But to me it´s annoying.
Regarding the sound, I was really surprised. Of all the devices tested in this price range, for me the burson is better and produces a sound that belongs to higher class appliances. The 32 ohm power reserve is huge.
It seemed to me a very balanced device, with good control of low frequencies and really good restitution of medium and high frequencies. I had read that someone complains about the high frequency performance but honestly it's fine for me.
Always remember the price class.
I am not a person of in-depth reviews but with my little accumulated experience the playmate sounds really good and for the vast majority of people it can represent a definitive device.
when i´ll have money, i will buy a definitive electronic but for now i´m very very happy with playmate.
P.S. 1 sorry for my english
P.S. 2 really thanks for the support to romanian friends @Eiffel and @raoultrifan

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #476 of 602
@alota, I'm glad you like this device and I'm sorry to hear that you're having (or had) ear issue.

Regarding the power plug from the backside, maybe you'd like to turn the cable one turn and bend it under the PLAYMATE. This should keep the power connection more sturdy. I had the same issue on my PLAY combo, but not on PLAYMATE, and I was able to fix it by simply placing one round/turn of the cable from under the PLAY. Hope this helps.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #477 of 602
@alota, I'm glad you like this device and I'm sorry to hear that you're having (or had) ear issue.

Regarding the power plug from the backside, maybe you'd like to turn the cable one turn and bend it under the PLAYMATE. This should keep the power connection more sturdy. I had the same issue on my PLAY combo, but not on PLAYMATE, and I was able to fix it by simply placing one round/turn of the cable from under the PLAY. Hope this helps.
Thank you. I don't understand one thing. Under playmate how? In my case i have same problem when i touch the usb. I think is more related with fixing the voard to the case. But the playmate is in a stable table and i touch only volume control. It's a minor issue. For the price honestly i don't care much

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #478 of 602
Two and two, got it. I dont know IV or LPF. But thanks for the
Thank you. I don't understand one thing. Under playmate how? In my case i have same problem when i touch the usb. I think is more related with fixing the voard to the case. But the playmate is in a stable table and i touch only volume control. It's a minor issue. For the price honestly i don't care much

My SWING DAC/PREAMP does the same thing. I speculated it was the blue USB cable that came with the unit having a bad pin. If I touch the device it disconnects from the computer.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #479 of 602
But the playmate is in a stable table and i touch only volume control. It's a minor issue. For the price honestly i don't care much

I see, I thought it's a power plug issue when you're moving the PLAYMATE or the table, but it's not. Then, maybe it's due to the lack of real grounding of the PLAYMATE; the actual grounding is done through the computer where the PLAYMATE is connected to, and if this computer. Not sure it worth investigating further, but you might try with a laptop running on battery and see if the issue persists. If still issue, then please try to "ground" your PLAYMATE via an RCA cable on one of your speakers amplifier.

Basically, PLAYMATE only has audio ground, which is floating, and when you touch the outer case (or the volume knob) you're probably changing ground potential. However, this minor issue should probably occur when you touch the case too, not only the knob.

Aug 3, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #480 of 602
[...]
My SWING DAC/PREAMP does the same thing. I speculated it was the blue USB cable that came with the unit having a bad pin. If I touch the device it disconnects from the computer.

Funny thing, this never happened to me when I touched the case or volume knob PLAYMATE, I wonder why. Indeed, I had a loosy connection on the laptop side that cause audio interruptions, but this was also happening with CV2+ too, so it was definitely the USB port from the cable (I don't think it was the blue cable that came with PLAYMATE).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back