New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Jun 27, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #457 of 602
I have my playmate connected to PS4 via optical as I couldn’t for the life of me get USB to work for sound output. USB is detected as a mic input though on PS4 however.

Xbox will be the same in that sound out will work over optical but you won’t get mic in for chat.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #458 of 602
The TOSLINK on XBOX ONE is only for audio-out, not for audio-in, so there's not way to connect a mic into PLAYMATE and expect it to work. Instead, you might want to use a mic attached to your gaming controller: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/wired-headset-help. You could also read Microsoft XBOX forum and check for a resolution.

AFAIK PLaYMATE is only compatible with Windows, Linux, Apple operating systems, not with PS4 or XBOX, so it shouldn't work on gaming boxes; although I never tried it out. :)

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:31 AM Post #459 of 602
My written review about the Burson PlayMate is live now!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/07/trouble-maker-burson-playmate-basic.html

Burson-Play-Mate-PlayMate-DAC-AMP-Hi-Resolution-Desktop-Class-A-2W-DSD-Review-27.jpg

Jul 4, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #460 of 602
Very nice and detailed review as usual!

Out of curiosity were you using the Playmate with the emphasis setting on? I dont find the treble to be rolled off at all on the Playmate unless that setting is on.

With Emphasis on its very noticeably rolled off and doesnt sound as good. For some reason Burson has it default to being on and they really shouldnt have done that. Its a nice option to have in case your listening to old cds that frequently have excessive treble and bad digital mastering but most music doesnt need it.

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #461 of 602
Very nice and detailed review as usual!

Out of curiosity were you using the Playmate with the emphasis setting on? I dont find the treble to be rolled off at all on the Playmate unless that setting is on.

With Emphasis on its very noticeably rolled off and doesnt sound as good. For some reason Burson has it default to being on and they really shouldnt have done that. Its a nice option to have in case your listening to old cds that frequently have excessive treble and bad digital mastering but most music doesnt need it.

I used it as it came out of the factory, I thought that most settings were the same as the original Play Basic. I should look into that and see how I had it set (?)

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #462 of 602
I used it as it came out of the factory, I thought that most settings were the same as the original Play Basic. I should look into that and see how I had it set (?)

Yeah out of the factory there is a setting called Emphasis which defaults to on. This setting causes the treble to roll off hard, as much as 8db in some places. The Play didnt have this feature it was just neutral out the box. Turning it off makes the Playmate so much better. It was really a poor decision to have it default to on as most people wont know about it.

It is supposed to be used when you are listening to old CDs that didnt already have Preemphasis built into them, so its a nifty little feature to have, but most music doesnt need it.

You should try it with Emphasis set to off as it will make quite a lot of difference!

Jul 4, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #463 of 602
There is an FR graph that shows the roll off in my review. I have enjoyed using the emphasis filter with earphones I find too bright such as MDR-EX1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back