1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31
Next

Last
  1. DjBobby
    I was playing today a little bit with the DPLL setting an I could swear it sounds better lower the setting is. More transparency with the lower setting.
    From the ES9038 datasheet: "For best performance, the DPLL bandwidth should be set to the minimum setting that will keep the DPLL reliable in lock".

The DPLL controls the bandwidth. Setting the bandwidth to its lowest value results in maximum jitter reduction. If the bandwidth is too low, the DPLL will loose lock and you will hear dropouts. If it is too high, it will lock safely but with some sound degradation. Thus the usable lowest bandwidth setting is one where no dropouts occur.
    I have been doing testing with the MacBook Pro and there were no dropouts even with the DPLL switched off. I guess the default "high" DPLL setting has been chosen in order to be compatible with widest range of sources, such as smartphones, tablets and laptops. Still for the better sound quality, I would experiment with the lowest possible setting, as long you hear no dropouts.

2. escalibur
    Has anyone played with some other opamps apart from V6s?

3. raoultrifan
    Yes, NE5532, V5 & V6 Classic/Vivid, OPA1652, AD8599, MUSES01/02/8920/8820 etc. In regard with THD+N the differences were very small, quite unexpected, given that inside PLAY differences were pretty high (up to 20dB of noise differences, but also up to 15dB in 2nd & 3d harmonics).

Seems that PLAYMATE and SWING have a much better power supply and bypassing caps than PLAY, perhaps a better PCB and ground plane too, so differences between opamps were not so big as I was expected.

Right now I'm using 4 x MUSES01 inside PLAYMATE, but I have no particular reason, at least not sound-related.

escalibur likes this.
  4. escalibur
    I'm curious how would AD797s perform used as double to mono...

Quickly I have tested OPA1612 in IV position and AD8599 in other but there wasnt much change in sound if any.

raoultrifan likes this.
  5. escalibur
  6. raoultrifan
    Well, this chip was already measured in this review, right? It looks very good indeed. AFAIK it's been used by Benchmark as well, with very good performance.

7. escalibur
    Yes but I mean how would it perform with Playmate. Mostly would there be any audiable differences. Regarding the measurements I wouldn't be surprised if eg. AD797 would perform as good as LME49600s.

8. raoultrifan
    LME49600 is an output buffer and not a regular opamps that can be used in IV/LPF/VAS. Burson products are using transistors in output stage, which might be considered an advantage under most circumstances, at least if lot of output power is required (>1W/ch.).

escalibur likes this.
  9. Postmodum
    So, today i changes the USB port on my computer, just because i was re-arranging the usb cables. An since then my Playmate isn't recongnized by windows 10 anymore. I just get a red cross on the speaker icon on the windows bar.

Anyone had this issue before? I tried several approaches and it just doesn't recognize the damn thing :x

Edit: Ok, it's okay now ... but i find these drivers and usb management pretty sensitive/weak/poor ... no idea why this happens ... :frowning2:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  10. raoultrifan
    Not me, and I've swapped several laptops to test the PLAYMATE and several USB ports, drivers too.
    Maybe you got a loosy port or plug or something, or simply drivers issue or just bad luck today. :)

Postmodum likes this.
  11. Postmodum
    Yeah, it was driver issues... grrr ... :) I love how random this can be ...

Unnistalled, installed, restart and done ...

On a totally different topic:

- Do you feel like the RCA and USB cables that came with the Playmate are good enough?
    I'm having some "popping" now and then coming from the speakers and i'm trying to nail down what can it be ...

Meanwhile i also need some new RCA and USB for my kid computer and was thinking about buying something better for myself ( looking at some custom RCA's with Van Damme Silver cables and a new USB cable without going too crazy on value).

( I have a playmate + bang. playmate connects to bang that has 2 RCA spliters, one for the bang itself and the others for the active sub ).

12. deenoo
    Hi everyone!
    Have you ordered and received one of your remote controls?
    It can be replaced with something other?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  13. raoultrifan
    @Postmodum, I got zero issues with PLAYMATE cables, nor with FUN, BANG or CV2+'s cables neither, but with an RCA-RCA cable from PLAY I got a cold-soldering on one end that was interrupting the audio (could also cause popping I guess).

If the popping is on both channels, then check plugs on the computer, but also swap the USB cable and retest.

If the popping is on one channel only then check the RCA cable.

14. Mouseman
    I have a remote - I paid extra to get one separately. I'm not sure if you could use a universal remote in its place, but if you were going to try, you'd probably need an original unit to learn from, or try random codes. It is a very nice remote, even if the price is rather steep. It is machined out of solid metal, so it's very sturdy.

deenoo likes this.
  15. deenoo
    Has anyone listened to with a linear power supply?
    After removing the USB card, you have already tried using I2S?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
First

Back
19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
30 31
Next

Last