1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by raoultrifan, Dec 3, 2018.
First

Back
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last
  1. raoultrifan
    Nope to both, although I tried to power it ON via a linear PSU, but the inrush current is too high (my PSUs were delivering 3-4 Amps only); if I'll find a PSU with a bit more juice I'll give it a try, but I don't think there's much to improve here...given that it measures pretty well with default power brick.

I guess I2S can be used, but not sure it worth the trouble, because the original USB transport is absolutely flawless (very low jitter, drivers work perfectly). Of course, if there'll be anything to modify here it would be by adding a galvanic isolation, although I don't have any grounding issue, nor hum, nor any other issues.

2. deenoo
    I'm using Playmate with Raspbberry Pi.
    The Raspberry easily recognized it on USB, but there is a pop/snap/glitch on DSD playback.
    The Rpi plays without problem the same DSD files with my ES9038Q2M DAC on I2S.
    I would therefore like to try it out on the I2S.

3. raoultrifan
    What transport card have you used? Were you able to interconnect them properly?
    Sometimes a picture means 1000 words. :)

4. deenoo
    Is it true :)
    Raspberry Pi 3B+, did you think of this (transport card)?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. deenoo
    20190625_145451.jpg

raoultrifan likes this.
  6. raoultrifan
    Nice and clean setup, congrats!

However, I'm not sure I see how do you transport the I2S signal from the PLAYMATE to the RaspberryPi?

7. raoultrifan
    On my review there is a picture that shows the I2S connector named P102 (right of the image):

[​IMG]

A lateral view of that connector can be seen here as well:

[​IMG]

AFAIK this is the only way to interconnect PLAYMATE with an external transport card, or vice-versa, but please let know if you have other thoughts. Of course, any issues occurring will not be covered by the warranty. :frowning2:

8. deenoo
    Are not yet connected. I waiting for which of the GND, LRCK, BCLK, DATA connections on the P1 connector, from Burson tech guys. :)

9. raoultrifan
    I t should be already written on the mainboard, under the transport card (at least this is how it was on PLAY). However, better wait for Burson to reply, but you'll definitely void the waranty.

10. deenoo
    Burs_P1_i2s.jpg
    Thank you for the pictures!
    I measured the pins, but I'm not sure about, that's why I asked the tech guys. (about a week, no answer yet :frowning2: )

11. deenoo
    My experience is that, the Rpi GPIO and the I2S points of the ES9038Q2M DAC chip can be directly linked.
    That's how it works with my DAC card for a long time.

12. deenoo
    I do not want to disassemble so much that I can look under the mainboard :)

Anyway, I use a galvanic isolation card (IanCanada's FiFoPi) for Rpi.

13. raoultrifan
  14. raoultrifan
    I understand what you're trying to do now. :)
    How are you playing music there? Volumio?

15. raoultrifan
    Can anyone that updated the firmware recently to post here the new firmware version that appears in TUSBAudioDfu.exe application?

Thank you!

First

Back
20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
31 32 33 34 35
Next

Last