New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Aug 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #496 of 602
No solder required :) In my case the worst part was disconnecting the 2 power plugs ... they are very well fixed, but by positioning and pushing the right way, they come off instantly. You'll see, it's quite easy. But that's just how those plugs work. After i got the hang of it i connected and disconnected them times over without issues.

All the other plugs are very easy since it's just pins.

Btw, i'm from Portugal too :wink:
thank a lot. you´re portuguese???nice. i´m italian but i live in portugal from 2003. now i´m in algarve with cold water. 10º less compared to sicily:ksc75smile:. muito obrigado pela tua ajuda:smile_phones:

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #497 of 602
Happy user with Burson Playmate Vivid and new purchase Fostex TH610 (AKG K7XX earlier). Massive explosion, great bass response, dynamic and soundstage. :)
IMG-6700.jpg

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #499 of 602
I finally got around to doing the opamp switch with the units I got from Burson when they were on sale. I'm trying the Everest configuration first. Holy cow - what a difference from the stock basic units (which were kind of a pain to get out without mangling the pins). Soundstage is deeper and wider, without any burn-in. Dead black silent background, much greater detail overall. I'm thing to give this some time and then switch in the Classics for the Vivids and see what I get.

Definitely worth the expense. This makes my Senns and AKGs absolutely sing. I just heard some horns in a Steely Dan song that made me jump.

Two questions - has anyone else found the back USB jack to be jumpy? I have to turn the unit off and on if I move my source a bit (particularly my iPhone). Also, has there ever been a fix for the front USB-C port? I haven't tried mine since I got the Playmate and it didn't work.

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #500 of 602
now playmate basic includes remote. Honestly i don´t like this policy

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #502 of 602
It seems that Burson has upgraded their website as well. No more different V6 editions of the products but single price and suggestions regarding the V6s. To me this is much better as the bigger prices are not scaring off some visitors. Basic versions are suitable for 99% of the listeners anyways so wise move by Burson in my optinion.

Sep 19, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #503 of 602
Burson Playmate Everest review

axU89Cs.jpg

The Package

WlX4PCV.jpg

Apart from Playmate Everest the package contains remote control, two USB cables (internal and external), RCA cables, PCI bracket for the Line Out, ¼” headphone adapter, allen key, a replacement fuse and the 5 year warranty card.

H8DHdUD.jpg

The Device

va48E53.jpg

I have to admit I wasn’t expecting Playmate Everest to look this good. It really looks like much, much more expensive device than what it really is. The finishing is very high quality. Every time I was about to sit in front of my computer it caught my eye. By being 100% honest with my reviews I have to admit that no audio device has had such effect on me.

Metallic color really fits well and it reminds me a lot of old school audio devices from the ‘70s and the ‘80s. It looks different in it’s own way. In my previous reviews I have sent my wishes to Burson to consider expanding color options and I’m very happy that they really do care about our reviews and feedback.

Front panel has ¼” headphone jack, microphone input, USB-C input port, OLED display, volume knob which works as a selecting button and on it’s right side there is small ‘menu’ button.

Playmate’s OLED display is one of the most noticeable physical differences compared to it’s predecessor Play. Unfortunately, display’s brightness cannot be adjusted. Gladly it’s not as bright as at some other devices and that is a good thing due to that it can be very distractive with ambient light. I’m glad Burson has set the display to relatively low brightness level.

Back panel has USB input, optical input, power plug, molex plug, power switch and RCA Line Out.

iIqVhdM.jpg

The Sound

The most important part of an audio device. How does it sound?

The settings used:

HP output: low
Filter: MP Slow
DSD: HI
PCM: HI
Emphasis: OFF

In short it sounds tight, polite, very well controlled and a tiny bit bright. Please notice that I was using Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro headphones with analytical pads which definitely play a part regarding the bright sound. I have quickly tested the filters and the difference between the filters was very minor. Everest being a mixture of Burson Audio’s best opamps (2x Classic Dual & 2x Vivid Dual) I have to admit that I can easily see someone at Burson saying ‘let’s go all in with this edition’. Does it put Playmate Basic to shame? I had to find it out by myself.

I’ve replaced Everest’s V6s with 4x NE5532s and did some listening sessions using the same songs in the same quality. I would be lying by saying that there is a HUGE difference in sound between the opamps. V6s do sound a bit better but we shouldn’t underestimate NE5532s’ performance neither. V6s have a bit more detail, more separation and maybe slightly deeper bass. Depending on your personal preferences and headphones this can be a good and a bad thing. Some listeners are suffering from audio fatigue due to too detailed music when the brain tries to concentrate to every instrument and sound at the same time. Over the time this can generate fatigue, stress and even a headache. Even at the opamps we can say ‘sometimes less can be more’.

Going back to the sound I couldn’t hear any hissing nor noise regardless of the volume lever or the opamps I was using. DT1990 Pros aren’t the most sensitive headphones but we are still talking about headphones designed for audio engineering professionals. Burson really did a great job in terms of low noise. For example the acoustic songs sounded very natural and raw. Compared to JDS Labs Atom with Khadas Tone Board the soundstage was smaller and a bit ‘packed’ or should I say a bit more intimate. It’s like comparing the same artist playing acoustic in a big and a much smaller room. To me that’s more of a preference instead of one is always better than the other. Other than that the sound was very clean and well balanced.

I haven’t tested all the possible opamp and filter combinations because otherwise writing this review would take months to complete. That could easily be a topic on it’s own.

As a source I’ve used recently released Amazon Music Unlimited Ultra HD (what a name indeed) streaming service. I did play some games as well. Unfortunately, I have lost my faith in games’ audio due to quite poor sounds in general. Game studios aren’t caring that much about audio quality due to that most gamers are using onboard sound cards with very cheap headphones.

Some of the songs I've listened during my testing sessions:

jajKGJ5.png

P9Tovft.png

oJ3X8Am.png

4yssbam.png

Playmate's ESS3038 DAC can be used up to 32bit @ 384kHz natively in Windows 10 without additional drivers installed.

elEbBSt.png

I’m glad that Burson is (sadly) one of very, very few audio companies who still believes in opamp swapping. Because of that final product’s price doesn’t always have to be the very expensive one just because the company has decided to use expensive opamps. Swapping the opamps according to personal preferences without going ‘all or nothing’ can benefit both sides. More sound options depending on your own preferences and probably cheaper price meaning more sold units as not everyone can afford the most expensive models.

KKpRf35.jpg

It’s hard to recommend V6s for those who are just entering the party and buying their first DAC & AMP combo. My personal preference would be Playmate Basic for the starters and V6s for the dessert. I’m not sure is Burson doing this on purpose or by mistake by making Basic version this good that it makes our lives much harder recommending V6s editions over the basic ones. Either way V6s are the way to go if you are ready to pay the full price with no compromises. You would be set for years to come without any need for an upgrade. The only ‘upgrade’ I can think of would be a hunger for not any better but rather different sound.

zWmm4T3.jpg

The Verdict

It has been a while when I’ve reviewed Burson Play. The device which has introduced me to what is Burson capable of. To me Playmate feels like natural step into the right direction. On the one side we could think of Playmate being something Play should have been in the first place but on the other such development takes so much time, energy and investments that if you wait for too long your final product might never be released. ‘Better done than perfect’ right?

wpzMe5F.jpg

Playmate is a very solid device especially for Basic’s price. I’m not afraid to compare it to majority of other popular audio devices. Many of them are just amps with no internal DACs. In fact, we don’t have that many DAC & AMP combos with the qualities of Playmate like 2W amp, ESS3038 DAC, swappable opamps, 5 year warranty, audio filters, USB & optical inputs and the list goes on… I can easily see some advantages in combos over DAC & AMP stacks. In combos they both are designed to work together. This means the implementation of both sides to work together on the optimal level. With separate devices you can only hope for the best especially if two devices are designed by different companies.

If there is something, I could hope for is the casing. Personally, I think it’s a good time to move on from ‘DVD’ cases especially with the models designed with gamers in mind. Being a PC enthusiast and gamer myself I can’t remember when was the last time I saw a relatively new gaming case with the 5,25” slot. My personal preference would be black / silver coloring with a bit shorter and wider case for desktop use.

I really wish that Burson continues to conquer the the world past Everest to the new heights. The Universe is full of names waiting to be chosen.

And as always, I’m very curious what is Burson planning to release next. Until then all I can say is great job guys, great job indeed!:clap::beyersmile:

Oct 1, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #504 of 602
what volume should the playmate be at if I'm connecting a different amp to it? I know earlier in this thread someone said that a certain volume needed to be set to achieve the correct amount of initial power being supplied. I can't seem to find that discussion.

Oct 8, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #506 of 602
Hi Gang.
I'm new here, and have a noob question.
I've had my eye on one of these new playmates for a while. If i got one, i'd be using it connected to PC via USB to run headphones (also looking to treat myself to some fancy headphones).
My current sound output is an internal sound card, the ASUS Essence STX II, with Burson vivid op amps.
The question I have is, Would there be much difference in overall sound quality if i was to run the new playmate, compared to my current sound card?
Thanks in advance
M

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #507 of 602
Marty, ASUS Essence STX II has a quite "potent" headphone amplifier inside and the internal DAC is also very good and free of background noises. Depending on the headphones you intend to purchase in the near future a powerful headphones-amplifier, like the one PLAYMATE has inside, might help you a bit more. Also, the added flexibility that an external USB DAC/headamp combo gives you, so you can move from one room to another, from a laptop to another or to your desktop, now that's something that only PLAYMATE could give you.

Regarding just the sound quality for one of your present headphones, perhaps only an A/B test could answer you this. However, both audio devices have a low-enough THD and a perfectly flat frequency response that your ears might really struggle in finding any differences. But worth mentioning that these audio devices are designed for different purposes and are kind of comparing apples with peaches. :)

I personally would recommend PLAYMATE because:
- flexibility of moving from one computer to another
- ability to swap opamps (some people might feel tiny differences in the final sound, especially the soundstage and details)
- way lower output impedance on PLAYMATE (0.5 Ohms vs. 10 Ohms on the STx II)
- way much output power on the PLAYMATE
- jitter test is awful on the STX II (probably from the digital noise from inside computer's case)
- linearity test sucks on the STX II
- PLAYMATE can fit inside the computer and the headphone plug will be easier to access on front of the case
- discrete output buffer design with about twice the power of the STX II (TPA6120A2 chips)

The few advantages I can see on the STX II would be:
- possible lower analogue background noise when using IEMs (although, given the 10Ohms output impedance I'm not sure IEMs will be compatible with STX II)
- does not takes space on the desk, given it's placed inside the computer (well, PLAYMATE can fit inside the case as well)

Oct 9, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #508 of 602
Hi raoultrifan.
Thanks for getting back to me with exactly the type of reply i was looking for.
I might just order one and give it a go. maybe i'll even switch between both devices, and leave the sound card to send signal to my Adam Audio A5X desk monitors, and the Playmate to drive my headphones.
Now to continue to decide on some headphones.
Cheers
Martin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back