New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Dec 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #526 of 602
I wonder if one of your opamps are oscillating. Would you please double check the temperature for each opamp? If you don't have an IR thermometer, at least use your finger after 30 minutes of music playing with case closed (then open up the case and check then the temps).

I would suggest you to address this issue to BURSON, maybe they can accept a RMA.

However, if you really want to replace them, please post back what models you found. I would personally suggest you Nichicon UCD or Nichicon UCB, but I guess Nichicon UCH should do as well.

Increasing capacitance values above the original values might cause MCPS regulators to oscillate, so I would stick to the original values, unless you have a scope around and you feel comfortable to record and check for any possible power rails ringing after power-ON and also check for PSU oscillations.

Good luck and come back with good news!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #527 of 602

Dark time for my PLAY MATE most of the output caps are fried I only pointed few of em to show playm8 users.

But the weird thing is that I noticed constant hiss(white noise) only on my left Chanel.:nerd:

I'm now thinking to replace all elna rvj series caps with good and high quality ones.

Any suggestions on good caps would be appreciated.
what happen fuse blown or everything burnt

Dec 26, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #528 of 602
I have received a Playmate some two weeks ago and must say I've been really enjoying my time with it. It's really great all round device. I've been trying it with several headphones and it always produced powerful and well controlled sound. But I'm mostly using it right now as a DAC hooked to an amp and a pair of speakers from my signature. Being used as a DAC might not been its primary usage scenario but it shines anyway, sounding more incisive than Topping D50s and with greater sound-stage. I've found out that max volume produces the best fidelity in that case but that's expected I suppose.

If you're interested in my in-depth thoughts check this review. There's a video too at the end of that page.

Now I'm wondering - if it sounds as good with NE5532 op-amps, should I try and play with V6s. But they're quite pricey as we need 4 of them so I might opt for some other op-amps first.

To be completely honest I was somewhat unaware of Burson. I mean, I have heard about the name but I always connected it with fancy op-amps, never with final products. I'm glad that has changed now and I'll keep a closer eye on their products.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #529 of 602
I have received a Playmate some two weeks ago and must say I've been really enjoying my time with it. It's really great all round device. I've been trying it with several headphones and it always produced powerful and well controlled sound. But I'm mostly using it right now as a DAC hooked to an amp and a pair of speakers from my signature. Being used as a DAC might not been its primary usage scenario but it shines anyway, sounding more incisive than Topping D50s and with greater sound-stage. I've found out that max volume produces the best fidelity in that case but that's expected I suppose.

If you're interested in my in-depth thoughts check this review. There's a video too at the end of that page.

Now I'm wondering - if it sounds as good with NE5532 op-amps, should I try and play with V6s. But they're quite pricey as we need 4 of them so I might opt for some other op-amps first.

To be completely honest I was somewhat unaware of Burson. I mean, I have heard about the name but I always connected it with fancy op-amps, never with final products. I'm glad that has changed now and I'll keep a closer eye on their products.
There is a thread with Playmate reviews where you can read about the effect of using different op-amps: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/burson-audio-playmate.23567/reviews
Alternatively, you can also post your review there.
For majority of Playmate users and for me personally, the best sounding combo is using the V6 Classics in the I/V and the V6 Vivids in the LP Gain.
Burson has occasionally promotions where you can purchase the V6 op-amps on sale.

Dec 28, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #531 of 602
Dec 30, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #532 of 602
Hey guys, some updates from my side:
Playmate is dead again :frowning2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13OoC-cfKO9WLlyuFVrx9TZjVwVe22LbU/view?usp=sharing

Just contacted Burson one more time ...
I have the Playmate and the Bang ... although they are amazing, i don't know if will get more Burson stuff in the future :frowning2: The journey with this equipment has been less than happy.

So, if this doesn't work out with fixing the Burson, is there any alternative to Playmate you can advise me? ( i need pre-amps since I need to connect the Bang amp to it )

Just thinking that the money i spent on this and opamps ... hurts my heart. :x

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 12:49 AM Post #533 of 602
Power supply or defective opamps, I might say. You might want to try PLAYMATE with BANG's power supply and see if it powers up well. Also, swap opamps with JRC5532 and see if it works fine (you can do both: change opamps and the PSU).

Do you remember placing the opamps vice-versa (at 180 degrees, with pin4 where should be pin1)?

Dec 31, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #534 of 602
Well, this happened yesterday from 1 second to the other. Everything was working flawlessly until now.
So I retried today and... something is burning... and now it doesn't turn on at all ... how good :frowning2:

I tried to identify as fast as I could but I wasn't really able since I wanted to unplug it really fast. Here's the pic of the are I think the problem is coming:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ibNRC0OCfWa61FoQclycfcOnuVzJ-6E/view?usp=sharing

Grrrrr ... my doubt is if this is something some electronic repair shop could do or not...

On a side note ... I just connected my BANG to my old Soundblaster ZxR ... no sound from it. For the Bang, I will need a pre-amp right? If so, do you have any advice on a pre-amp that won't make my bank account cry?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #535 of 602
Inside the big circle there are 5 power regulator (I'm adding the components from the right as well), 5 coils that acts as a filter to remove EMI/RFI and 5 diodes.
Inside the small circle there only one of the above (transistor, coil/inductor and diode).

Why would you think something there got fried? Usually those components might get fried if the opamps are defective (in short-circuit or wrongly inserted into the sockets); please remove all opamps and replace them with new-ones (JRC5532D, if possible for this "test"). Also, use BANG's supply for this short test.

You can control the amount of power from Windows volume control or from ZXR's knob. However, I recommend to use the low-gain setting on your BANG (set the two switches from inside till the volume is lower; do this with BANG powered off, for safety reasons).

BANG should do some humming noise when you connect RCA cables and gently touch the "hot" pin of the RCA; this way you'll know if it works fine or not.

Dec 31, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #536 of 602
Ok ... I knew something was frying :frowning2: as soon as I turned it on, there was a spark on the first Opamp slot ( if you notice on the left, it's burned )
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14DjnR9O6PoAfBtjrN57Q4z4Cu1MyPWsE/view?usp=sharing

So, after that, I went to Windows that freaked out with the drivers, removed them and reinstalled them...

Results? Actually the Playmate is working ... with sound and everything ... What...

Retried the V6 opamps and there's on Vivid that is messed up ... which one now it's the uncertain part because I don't want to put it back on.

So, looking at the image, and the damage that there is, what kind of problems will I end up having with the Playmate? Because right now everything is strangely working...

Sorry in terms of circuits and PCBs other than motherboards and GPUs ... I'm as ignorant as it gets :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #537 of 602
I'm glad is working fine now. As long as it's working fine now, I would say that no damaged occurred...yet., although warranty probably got lost now. However, keep an eye on those regulators, just in case they might try to change their colour to brown in the near future.

Also, some macro/close-up pictures around the area affected might help, because what you posted recently was a bit out of focus.

You're the only one that might say what actually happened in there. Maybe you placed a book on top of the PLAYMATE and after 2-3 hours the inside opamps got "cooked" gently and one of them burned. Or maybe the V6 got defective by itself, who knows...

Dec 31, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #538 of 602
Actually nothing happened... I have the bang and playmate stacked... that is it. One moment everything was good and the other second it went bad. This is the Second PCB I have... everything was smooth. Just bad luck I guess. Meanwhile contacted Burson lets see.

Now my doubt is ... if I order other V6 vivids ... will the "burned" area be a weak point and this is only working because I'm not using class a opamps ...

Is this something a eletronics repair shop can fix ir this is very specific and only Burson can handle?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #539 of 602
If BANG's under the PLAYMATE, then BANG's heat will get up and overheat PLAYMATE.
If BANG's on top of PLAYMATE, then PLAYMATE's heat will not be able to dissipate due to the BANG that is already heat-up.

Ensure at least one PC bay-unit between those two devices and positive ventilation inside the PC case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back