New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Jun 14, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #1,187 of 1,256
I have some high pitch noise on right channel in my Play. Is mains noise suppose to be in both channels? That wasnt there when I got the unit.
It is only on the right channel, because the right analog output is closer to the digital section which makes the interference. Probably the noise was always there, but you din't notice it earlier. Also if you swamped the op-amps, it is stronger noticeable with some op-amps then with the default.

Jun 14, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #1,188 of 1,256
It is only on the right channel, because the right analog output is closer to the digital section which makes the interference. Probably the noise was always there, but you din't notice it earlier. Also if you swamped the op-amps, it is stronger noticeable with some op-amps then with the default.

Got Vivid version Play from day one. Well I ordered that newest PCB from Burson so let see if there is any difference.

Jun 15, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #1,190 of 1,256
@Onik, what PCB version? If it's about V1.6, then the easiest "mod" would be to order a V2.2 or V2.3 PCB from Burson, via email. However, I found that AD8599 opamps are a little bit less noisier and might help somehow when pairing the V1.6 PCB with sensitive cans.

Given the high power output of the PLAY (about 2x1.8 Watts) I would suggest to not pair it with sensitive cans, especially that it has no analogue volume control to lower the background noise of the inside stages (you'll get in your cans entire noise generated from the I/V + LPF + Gain stages), like all other DAC/combos with digital volume control.

Jun 16, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #1,191 of 1,256
@Onik, what PCB version? If it's about V1.6, then the easiest "mod" would be to order a V2.2 or V2.3 PCB from Burson, via email. However, I found that AD8599 opamps are a little bit less noisier and might help somehow when pairing the V1.6 PCB with sensitive cans.

Given the high power output of the PLAY (about 2x1.8 Watts) I would suggest to not pair it with sensitive cans, especially that it has no analogue volume control to lower the background noise of the inside stages (you'll get in your cans entire noise generated from the I/V + LPF + Gain stages), like all other DAC/combos with digital volume control.

IMG_20190528_225418[1887].jpg

I got V 2.1. I think I am now happy with this Play, I don't really use it with sensitive iems or low impedance cans.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #1,192 of 1,256
@Onik, seems that you already spent lot of money on solid-state opamps, so now the the easiest and cheapest mod you can do is to lower the distance between the transistors pairs to about zero mm by using a small plier to bend them to get closer. This will ensure an identical temperature between the transistors of each pair, meaning that bias current will be identical.

Of course, it's hard to hear or even measure any audible change, but this is really an easy to do mod and it costs nothing. :)

Jun 17, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #1,195 of 1,256
Ive got the SparkOS in my Fun/Swing combination and they are worth the cost for sure. They compete well against the V6 bursons. More detailed than the Vivids and more energetic than the Classics.

Jun 18, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,196 of 1,256
The PCB 2.3 has noticeably lower noise floor, darker background, cleaner transients and sounds a little faster perhaps due to cleaner power.

I use OPA209 in my gain stage, I also added the AudioNote Kaisei 220uF/100V Non-Polar caps on OPA209 rails. I believe PSU bypass on the gain stage will support the output stage too (though not as well as it would if I added it replacing an output stage PSU cap)

After side by side listening, my Play sounds better than Play 1.6 with SS2590.

Play 2.3 sounds better in my configuration than with V6C

Just as a comparison, V6C sounds better than SS3602 in NuHybrid DIY.

That is the est you can do without making any modifications to the board itself.

Jun 25, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #1,200 of 1,256
PLAY_orig_1KHz-Headphones_Stereophile02-25.png
First I'd like to upload some measurements for the RCA-out, so we can visually compare stuffs before getting into the subjective auditioning areas:

CV2+_1KHz.png

Conductor Virtuoso V2+ (THD of 0.0016%, THD+N of 0.0039%)

PLAYMATE_4xMUSES01.png

PLAYMATE Everest (THD of 0.0017%, THD+N of 0.015%)

PLAY_orig_1KHz-Headphones_Stereophile02-25.png

PLAY Basic V2.2 (THD of 0.0012%, THD+N of 0.015%)
Regarding THD seems that PLAY 2.2 > CV2+ > PLAYMATE > , while in respect with THD+N there's CV2+ > PLAYMATE = PLAY, at least for the RCA-Out (RCA-Out=Headphones-Out on PLAY & PLAYMATE anyway).

L.E.: I've uploaded newer pics for PLAY V2.2 and PLAYMATE.

Not appears on the above pics, but with very sensitive IEM's there's sort of a high pitch noise on PLAY V.2.2 which doesn't exists on PLAYMATE, so I will give an advantage to PLAYMATE over PLAY for the subjective lower background noise, but also for the newer firmware and drivers, the front LCD, custom filters etc.

Attachments

• PLAYMATE_THD_1KHz_EMPH-OFF.png
    PLAYMATE_THD_1KHz_EMPH-OFF.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back