New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Jun 26, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,201 of 1,256
@raoultrifan can you add Fun to the comparsion as well?

Jun 26, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #1,202 of 1,256
I can do that, of course. Meanwhile, I just finished my PLAYMATE vs. CV2+ test with "Head-Fi and HD Tracks" and a "Test CD Officiel for Bass". I'm unable to tell a difference with my Fostex T50RP-mk3 planars.

Opamps from inside PLAYMATE were 2xJRC5532DD in I/V stage and 2xLM4652NA in voltage-gain.low-pass. Swapping for MUSES01 makes no difference; maybe I might need to try other headphones too, but one thing's for sure: when I swapped opamps in PLAY differences were quite there, but in PLAYMATE I can't hear anything (at least not in 30 minutes of A/B testing).

I've used A/B test with perfect volume match.

However, CV2+ has an advantage of a much lower THD+N and an incredible power reserve too (not mentioning the beautiful massive look & feel.

Jun 26, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,203 of 1,256
when I swapped opamps in PLAY differences were quite there, but in PLAYMATE I can't hear anything (at least not in 30 minutes of A/B testing).
Do you have any explanation why would the Play be much more sensible to the op-amps rolling than the Playmate? Also have you tried to test it with the speakers? In my experience, listening through big speakers, gives much more soundstage and instruments separation differences, than listening through the headphones only.

Jun 26, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,205 of 1,256
Do you have any explanation why would the Play be much more sensible to the op-amps rolling than the Playmate? Also have you tried to test it with the speakers? In my experience, listening through big speakers, gives much more soundstage and instruments separation differences, than listening through the headphones only.

It's most likely due to the internal power regulators, especially when speaking about PLAY V1.6. Also, PCB traces, star grounding and ground plane, but...of course EMI/RFI may influence the output sound in a small manner.

I was able to A/B compare PLAY vs. CV2+ too, but with most music chosen on my T50RP-mk3 planar headphones it was almost impossible to sense any difference. Maybe I'll need re-test with different headphones (HE560 perhaps). However, with highly compressed music, at high recording level and low dynamic (e.g.: "Milk & Sugar Beach Sessions 2018"), PLAY seems to sound a bit fatiguing on the trebles, sort of a less separation between sounds and somehow more compressed and less clear. It's like music starts to get distorted somehow and some of the details starts to fade out a bit. CV2+ seems to drive a little bit more "effortless" such kind of music on T50RP-mk3 planars. For all these A/B tests I've used WASAPI and perfect volume match.

L.E.: Tested PLAY was V2.2 and opamps used were JRC5532DD and 5534DD.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,207 of 1,256
The PCB 2.3 has noticeably lower noise floor, darker background, cleaner transients and sounds a little faster perhaps due to cleaner power.

I use OPA209 in my gain stage, I also added the AudioNote Kaisei 220uF/100V Non-Polar caps on OPA209 rails. I believe PSU bypass on the gain stage will support the output stage too (though not as well as it would if I added it replacing an output stage PSU cap)

After side by side listening, my Play sounds better than Play 1.6 with SS2590.

Play 2.3 sounds better in my configuration than with V6C

Just as a comparison, V6C sounds better than SS3602 in NuHybrid DIY.

That is the est you can do without making any modifications to the board itself.
imran can you share the new revision pcb pic here

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #1,209 of 1,256
Has anyone figured out how to get 32-bit audio options in Windows for the Burson Play? Because it is advertised as supporting 32-bit but it seems it only gives 16-bit and 24-bit options.
Have you installed the Burson driver?

For me that one defaults to 44.1 32-bit, in the driver toolbar it also defaults to 32-bit. Windows 10.

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,214 of 1,256
Has anyone figured out how to get 32-bit audio options in Windows for the Burson Play? Because it is advertised as supporting 32-bit but it seems it only gives 16-bit and 24-bit options.

If I remember correctly, I only got 32-bit audio in Control Panel only when I used default Windows 10 XMOS drivers.

However, getting it to play 32-bit audio will not improve audio quality, and I'm also not aware of any recording studio recording songs by default in 32-bit.

What is really important is that PLAY is using internally native 32-bit processing to adjust the output volume through the rotary knob; this wouldn't be possible without a 32-bit DAC, unless adding additional active or passive components which usually contribute to increase the noise.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #1,215 of 1,256
If I remember correctly, I only got 32-bit audio in Control Panel only when I used default Windows 10 XMOS drivers.

However, getting it to play 32-bit audio will not improve audio quality, and I'm also not aware of any recording studio recording songs by default in 32-bit.

What is really important is that PLAY is using internally native 32-bit processing to adjust the output volume through the rotary knob; this wouldn't be possible without a 32-bit DAC, unless adding additional active or passive components which usually contribute to increase the noise.

Thanks for the reply. Which driver are you using for the PLAY?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back