New: Brainwavz R3
Oct 8, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #46 of 157
OK UE900 vs R3 listening to Collin James tune "Down in the Bottom" using my computer playing out a Little Dot DAC1 and an Indeed Tube Amp.

R3 - neutral sound with the OK detail but feels like it is missing something in the mids. This headphone is very smooth and clean, the comfort and smoothness mean they will never be a fatiguing IEM. But they are not a super resolving IEM with tons of detail and the beass and treble are both on the polite side.

UE-900 - neutral sound with lots of detail, bass is tight and punchy, mids are crisp and detailed, treble is detailed and crisp but never sibilant. The headphone is comfortable and while detailed and punchy also can be listened for extended periods without fatigue in my opinion.

I will be honest. The UE900 slays the R3 in terms of detail and dynamics. But at 3-4 times the cost I would have been unhappy if it didn't. This isn't to say the R3 is no good, it just isn't up to slaying the UE900. If you have heard the UE900 and find it's detail to much or find it edgy then the R3 would be an excellent alternative as it's more polite signature would suite you very well. They do share a similar type of signature though in that they are both neutral and slightly on the bright side. I want to be clear though. The UE900 is my FAVORITE BA based IEM I own. So there is bias on my part towards it's sound.

Thank you for making it clear for me :D

Oct 8, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #47 of 157

Raz:

Actually, comments comparing the R3 to the TF10s sound-wise were made by a Brainwavz rep (whom I assumed to be you, since you're the public face) on at least two occasions.  One was on the mp4nation page on facebook, where the R3 was said to sound like "the TF-10, only with more feel."  I can't link to that comment because of the way FB is set up, but it's easy to find.  

The other statement was similar, occurred during the development stage, and was on a public forum; I'll try to track it down again and you can tell me whether the person representing Brainwavz was you or someone else.  It wasn't on the Hello, World thread and it might not have been in the mp4nation forums at all.

The mention of the black anodized version and your comment was purely to illustrate that you seem far more modest than many other headphone makers and reps on Head-fi, and that that is both amusing and refreshing.

WRT your mention of creating headsets "from the ground up":  It sounds as though you're saying you'll create a single separate headset with a particular set of features, tier and sound signature rather than offering any other models in headset versions.   Did I understand you correctly?

I mentioned your comment on amping because hearing the R3 amped might change a listener's perception of its sound signature (especially when discussing its representation of lower frequencies).  It would be good to hear about the differences, which you mentioned briefly on another site and in another thread.

Edit - A few corroborating links:

Head-fi users who also read comparisons by Raz to the TF-10:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631240/brainwavz-r1-review/600#post_8997407
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-brainwavz-delta-r3-dual-dynamic-pg948-onkyo-phones-pg-904-kef-m200-pg835-philips-fidelio-s2-pg-724/14385

Comment by "MP4Nation" on the facebook post, "The new Brainwavz R3 will blow your mind" (November 30, 2012):

"It will stick to being two drivers. The design is quite different from the traditional earphone design, this may not sit well with people. The sound is really good, at its current tuning its got the sound of a TF10 but with a bit more feeling."

https://www.facebook.com/mp4nation/posts/496501617038658

As i said previously i may have forgotten, the comment is from almost a year ago and so much work was done on the R3 from that point till now that the comment isn't relevant any longer. The R3 back then compared to the R3 that is being produced are essentially a totally different beast.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #48 of 157
I do like the UE900 more than any other BA based IEM I have owned but I do have times where I prefer less detail, it almost becomes to noisy especially for poorly recorded material. The other night I was wearing the R3 for a couple hours while I was reading the forum and mucking around on my computer and I wad able to completely immerse myself forgetting i was wearing anything in my ears which is a good sign for me. But to achieve a similar result walking around requires strict cable management or else I feel the cable weight on my ears as I move.

Oct 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #49 of 157
The teaser image for the R3 posted back in April...

From the beginning, the R3 was all about their shape. Their shape is a form of the set up they wanted to use for the dual dynamic drivers. While the old R1 tried a large bass driver and smaller second driver separate all the way up through a dual bore sound tube, the R3 has two 10mm drivers on opposite ends with a single bore tube in between...

Thus instead of mixing when leaving the earphone, the sound mixes together in the "acoustic chamber" and out the center mounted bore. It is a design that produces a unique sound. Thanks to Raz for the review sample. You may find the R3 here:
http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/r3.html

Specification

1. Drivers Dynamic,10mm x2
  2. Crossover Passive
  3. Rated Impedance 32 Ω
  4. Frequency Range 20Hz ˜ 20kHz
  5. Sensitivity 95 dB at 1 mW
  6. Rated Input Power 2 mW
  7. Plug 3.5mm Gold Plated
  8. Cables 1.3 m Y-Cord, Copper
  9. Cable Type Pro Grade Memory Cable

Contents & Accessories

1. Foam Tips Comply T500 (x1)
  2. Silicone Tips Standard S,M,L (x6)
  3. Silicone Tips Bi-Flange (x1)
  4. Silicone Tips Tri-Flange (x1)
  5. Adapter ¼" Adapter (x1)
  6. Airplane Adapter x1
  7.   Hard Casex1
  8.   Manualx1
  9.   Warrantyx1 (24 Months)

Contents/Specifications subject to change without notification

My pre-release sample kit...(no tri-flange or airplane adapter)

Next to the Brainwavz S1

BUILD: The R3 cable is a gray 1.3m Y cable that is fairly thick and has a rubbery sheath. The last 6" on the earphones side is bendable memory wire. The capsule shaped housings are made of aluminum, sound tube included. A thin, black fabric mesh sits at the end of the tubes to protect from debris. The plug side is another beefy 45 degree gold plated plug a wee bit smaller than the one on the S1. The overall build is thick and sturdy and inspires confidence. The R3 does have a two year warranty.

FIT: The R3 are an over the ear design. The capsule shaped housings are designed to sit more out alongside the ear thanks to 10mm long sound tubes. Bi- and tri-flange tips are included if more length is desired. The R3 are a more shallow fitting earphone. Certainly a different shape than we have seen before and hard to predict how they will fit a particular person. We have seen quite a few positive and/or surprising comments about no problems fitting the R3. An important part of getting them to fit right is bending/shaping the memory portion the right way. A bit of practice and tweaking will reveal the right shape.

SOUND: The Brainwavz self descriptions have been fairly accurate as of late. The R3 is... "...characterized by detailed highs and mids, clear bass and a wide soundstage" which is also close to the mark. The design essentially places two straight earphones directly facing each other. Then the two mix in a chamber and the sound then travels through a fairly long tube into the ears. The drivers are further away than in other designs and this is heard in the sound. A good deal of distance is heard in the stage. There is good width as well though the depth and distance stands out more. A nice, airy sound with good space between all notes. The overall sound is very well balanced in both bass and treble extension and the frequency balance. The sound is more on the cool and neutral side. Nice texture, a good amount of detail, and their spacing and closer to flat bass makes them pretty quick as far as pace and lets their dynamics and texture shine through more. not balance armature speed but the sound is actually reminds me of the armature sound in some respects. My Sleek SA7 dual armature(with the standard included bass + port) is bassier and packs a more dynamic driver-like sound. The R3 differs from the armature sound in being smooth even though is is cooler and brighter/lighter sounding than many dynamics.

I find the R3 sound is quite EQ-able if you choose and I find they take amping quite well. They fill in more with amping and take a bass boost switch well. My JDS Labs C5 synergizes well bringing the R3 more forward esp. the vocals which are a bit forward in the C5. The R3 take on the sound of source and amp well which can be good or bad based on the direction one wants but wise choices can lead to a great match.

OVERALL: The R3 won't be for everyone. They are decidedly big and thick and probably not for those that want small, light, and low profile. They are more audiophile voiced than many of the dual dynamics like the Radius earphones or even the R1. They are just an earphone based around a unique design, with a quality sound, and a competitive price. They stand out and are worth a look!  

Oct 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #51 of 157
I also have a test set in and I have to say that your review is spot on. I too thought the design a little bit odd at first, then after playing around with the memory wire got a very nice fit, with zero discomfort. The only problem I have has nothing to do with sound, I think the memory wire is too long, they have to be bent up to fit in the carry case, which makes it a bit of a pain to store away. And then you have to get the wire re bent again to get the fit right again....too much trouble IMHO. Other than that, I love the sound coming from these, especially amped, proving to me that unique and different dont always have to be a bad thing :) Thanks for the review!

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #52 of 157
What's intriguing to me is the combination of reference characteristics and a deliberately stylized signature; the apparent flatness of the FE combined with the borderline exaggerated depth of the soundstage (if I understood you correctly).  

Your review really makes me want to hear R3, but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy them just yet. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #53 of 157
  I also have a test set in and I have to say that your review is spot on. I too thought the design a little bit odd at first, then after playing around with the memory wire got a very nice fit, with zero discomfort. The only problem I have has nothing to do with sound, I think the memory wire is too long, they have to be bent up to fit in the carry case, which makes it a bit of a pain to store away. And then you have to get the wire re bent again to get the fit right again....too much trouble IMHO. Other than that, I love the sound coming from these, especially amped, proving to me that unique and different dont always have to be a bad thing :) Thanks for the review!

Yep, I think I did mention that in one of the other threads. The memory wire portion could be shortened or a larger version of the case that you could store a player/phone in. Some creative bending can also solve the problem...

What's intriguing to me is the combination of reference characteristics and a deliberately stylized signature; the apparent flatness of the FE combined with the borderline exaggerated depth of the soundstage (if I understood you correctly).  

Your review really makes me want to hear R3, but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy them just yet. 

Right. In a way sounds like reference bookshelf speaker sound was the goal. Not a better earphone than my SA7 but a better match with the C5 on that front as the forward Sleek and forward C5 makes for a very in your face sound while the R3 and C5 combine for a nice overall depth. Also the only phone I would use the C5 bass boost with. Normally I think the boost too much for my taste. As for it's spacial presentation and the way the two drivers mix together and layer things together, it is different and unique as people have said. The kind of thing you have to hear for yourself and see how you like it.

Oct 17, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #55 of 157
  Yep, I think I did mention that in one of the other threads. The memory wire portion could be shortened or a larger version of the case that you could store a player/phone in. Some creative bending can also solve the problem...

Right. In a way sounds like reference bookshelf speaker sound was the goal. Not a better earphone than my SA7 but a better match with the C5 on that front as the forward Sleek and forward C5 makes for a very in your face sound while the R3 and C5 combine for a nice overall depth. Also the only phone I would use the C5 bass boost with. Normally I think the boost too much for my taste. As for it's spacial presentation and the way the two drivers mix together and layer things together, it is different and unique as people have said. The kind of thing you have to hear for yourself and see how you like it.

I wonder whether there's a chance of R's implementing a shorter or less problematic cable.  Does Brainwavz ever do that sort of revision to an active product?

The reference speaker analogy's completely apt -- I didn't want to be the one to say it because I haven't heard the R3. But that aspect alone makes me want to hear and potentially own a purr (insert hedonistic critter), since I prefer a flatter sound myself and that's not where IEMs seem to be veering of late.

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #58 of 157
  The R3 back then compared to the R3 that is being produced are essentially a totally different beast.

It would be fascinating to compare the sound of the prototype with that of the finished R3.  I'd love to have a more utilitarian sense of the variables that might affect the sound.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #59 of 157
jant71 thanks for posting review and even more happy that you enjoyed them, i hope others find them to their liking as you have.

@scrypt We do make changes to design or build when we see a common problem, should we see a trend of feedback from current R3 owners on the memory cable being too long we will then make some changes to any subsequent production runs to reduce the length. As the R3 has only just been released, we'll be waiting for at least a month of two to hear what people post on forums and also what they share with us in private on the design.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #60 of 157
Just received mine, from the DX50's fantastic bonus offer - will post a review in a few days but...DAMN THE MEMORY WIRE IS BLOODY ANNOYING...

2 hours on and I have not been able to fit them in properly...
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back