New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,636 of 1,956
I think the T1.2 came out first and then Beyer feels the pressure to release something with lower impedance to catch up with with audiophiles' portable trend including DAPs and DAC/AMP. Very few headphones on the market today has a 600 ohm impedance compared to the past. That said, the T1.2 sounds excellent on my Kann Cube and I did justify purchasing it as the only portable gig that can drive the T1.2 properly without a desktop system.

I never tried the DT770/880 but I can say the brightest I have ever found in Beyer headphone was the DT1990 Pro....sold it 3 weeks after purchase. I learned my lesson.
So that's why the T5p has more elegant and slick looks compared to T1.2 but that's just me. When I didn't had the T5p, I was looking all days for a solution to use the T1.2 for eveything. Today haven't found any except portable bluetooth adapters and batteries will degrade over time. It would end in frustrations and like you said, they Beyer indeed felt the pressure. If the T5p and T1 are super close in sound signature, then Beyer sure did a very good job! Todays it won't be any good if a lot of headphones are 600ohm considering people wants to drive them with ease I think.

I learned my lesson too. For now on, each time I want to get a new, I'll ask the owners about the treble peaks. It sounds like ear armor piercing treble from 770/880 :/

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #1,637 of 1,956
yeah that's my only complaint about the T1.2. Otherwise, it is quite a musical and enjoyable headphone. I think T5p was obviously tuned to be the closed-back counterpart of the T1.2. They are super close in sound signature and usually cost about the same.
Have the feeling that right now the t5p is more expensive than the T1. Both are great headphones for their use but imo the sound quality of the T1 exceeds the t5p.

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,638 of 1,956
Have that feeling too. Another concern I had were the different earpads. P-leather earpads is uncomfortable and sweating is one of them. Luckily I found earpads covers that protects them. This guy likes to keep everything stock and completely undamaged...

Apr 22, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,639 of 1,956
Have the feeling that right now the t5p is more expensive than the T1. Both are great headphones for their use but imo the sound quality of the T1 exceeds the t5p.
I don't agree with that. To my ears the T5P gen 2 sounds better than the T1 gen 2 inlcuding playing out of a Violectric V280 and a Beyer A2 and my Hugo2. And it is also more comfortable and you can use it outside the house with a portable player. Winner all round. Check my past posts on this and my past headphone inventory.

Apr 23, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #1,640 of 1,956
I guess it boils down to taste and purpose. I never owned a T1 2nd gen but I did listen to the T1 and T5p side-by-side and was surprised how the closed T5p was holding up against his semi-open sibling. As I needed a closed-backed option and chose the T5p and never looked back :). It is almost as great sounding as the LCD-XC and even more comfortable to wear for hours than the Z1R - hence the best closed-backed option for me out there, in particular at that price point!

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,641 of 1,956
I guess it boils down to taste and purpose. I never owned a T1 2nd gen but I did listen to the T1 and T5p side-by-side and was surprised how the closed T5p was holding up against his semi-open sibling. As I needed a closed-backed option and chose the T5p and never looked back :). It is almost as great sounding as the LCD-XC and even more comfortable to wear for hours than the Z1R - hence the best closed-backed option for me out there, in particular at that price point!
The ZR1 and the T5p is more comfortable and yet the T5p is 'cheaper'. Did Sony a bad job at wearing comfort?

The Beyers sure knows how to impress. I like Amiron Home because of detailed bass and recessed vocals which can be really nice for movies/series on Netflix and Amiron Wireless for more treble and yet laid back while the bass is there too. It did boils down to tastes and purpose indeed.

I'm now thinking on wether to get the Klipsch Heritage HP-3 or not.

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #1,643 of 1,956
Are Beyerdynamic T5 p Mk II and Beyerdynamic T5 d second generation the same product but with two different names?
Do you have link to them?

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,644 of 1,956
100% agree. The T5P Gen 2 is one of the most underrated headphones in it's price range.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #1,647 of 1,956
The picture of this one looks somewhat differrent from the T5p second generation.
https://pricespy.co.uk/audio-video/speakers-headphones/headphones/beyerdynamic-t5-p-mk-ii--p3663383

No, it's the same headphone. You can check Beyer website for their official lineup. The T1.2 has two color options, and the T5p 2nd gen has this black and metallic grey color, which I love. I wish I picked a similar color variation (ninja black) for the T1.2 when I purchased it instead of the silver one.

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,648 of 1,956
The ZR1 and the T5p is more comfortable and yet the T5p is 'cheaper'. Did Sony a bad job at wearing comfort?

The Beyers sure knows how to impress. I like Amiron Home because of detailed bass and recessed vocals which can be really nice for movies/series on Netflix and Amiron Wireless for more treble and yet laid back while the bass is there too. It did boils down to tastes and purpose indeed.

If you like that classic wooden headphone look, I also suggest ZMF. I have auditioned a few of their dynamic cans and they sound impressive while looking quite gorgeous. I am currently eyeing the ZMF Aeolus. Since my T1.2 and T5p have perfectly balanced sound that already serve most of my need, I will probably get something with a good bass slam as an addition.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #1,649 of 1,956

No, don't get me wrong, the ZR1 fits me like a glove, it is light and comfortable. However, it feels bulkier and I passed it on after just a few weeks as it didn't excel for me in any dimension, really. As most of us, I want to build a small collection of headphones that complement each other.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,650 of 1,956
If you like that classic wooden headphone look, I also suggest ZMF. I have auditioned a few of their dynamic cans and they sound impressive while looking quite gorgeous. I am currently eyeing the ZMF Aeolus. Since my T1.2 and T5p have perfectly balanced sound that already serve most of my need, I will probably get something with a good bass slam as an addition.
Yeah, I looked at ZMF headphones a few months back But they are hardly available here in the Netherlands. Wanted the ZMF Verité. The Klipsch HP-3 Ebony is the exact one I'm looking for. Found one EU eBay seller that sells them but need to gather lot of info and reviews first. Otherwise I'll stick to my current headphones.

Maybe because its too expensive. In Europa, I may get a Denon AH-D7200 for USD 610 and T5p-2 for USD 870.
I got my T5p.2 for €779. Had the AH-7200 and literally requested a return within one hour of first time use. Headband is way too @!#$%( uncomfortable!!!!!!!!! And more expensive than T5p.2

No, don't get me wrong, the ZR1 fits me like a glove, it is light and comfortable. However, it feels bulkier and I passed it on after just a few weeks as it didn't excel for me in any dimension, really. As most of us, I want to build a small collection of headphones that complement each other.
The ZR1 looks simple and nice too. What were your issues with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back