New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 26, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,666 of 1,956
AH-D7200 @ EUR 435, amazon.fr.
I returned that one. That headphone has the most uncomfortable headband I've ever had.
The difference between the 7200 and T5p.2 are huge to be honest. The earpads of the 7200...very very comfortable though.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #1,667 of 1,956
Hi All, 2 weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 2nd gen T5p's after much deliberation. I've been curious; I owned the T70p before, and I must say that while brilliant in some ways I generally thought they were rather bright and 'bottomless' sounding. What they did, they did right. However, they just didn't do everything I expected.

This led me to doubt very much on touching another Tesla driver (especially in this price range), but boy am I glad I did. It is 100% not what I expected, and I'm loving every single bit of it (something I never had with any HP before). Anybody else had experience with T70 (or T90) and felt similar?

PS: live albums sound eargasmic on these cans!

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,668 of 1,956
Hi All, 2 weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 2nd gen T5p's after much deliberation. I've been curious; I owned the T70p before, and I must say that while brilliant in some ways I generally thought they were rather bright and 'bottomless' sounding.... Anybody else had experience with T70 (or T90) and felt similar?

The problem of the T70 was the stock pads are too shallow, preventing good sealing, and making them virtually an pair of on-ear headphones. After I put DT1770 velour pads on them, they are much more balanced and have good alternative of the T5p sound. My late T90 chrome edition is also more balanced than early T90.

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,669 of 1,956
The problem of the T70 was the stock pads are too shallow, preventing good sealing, and making them virtually an pair of on-ear headphones. After I put DT1770 velour pads on them, they are much more balanced and have good alternative of the T5p sound. My late T90 chrome edition is also more balanced than early T90.

Thank you for your insights. I guess I've parted with my T70p too early then, never got to try any other pads. How would you say the T70p (with DT1770 pads) differs from T5p 2nd?

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,670 of 1,956
Thank you for your insights. I guess I've parted with my T70p too early then, never got to try any other pads. How would you say the T70p (with DT1770 pads) differs from T5p 2nd?

I have the 250ohm T70, not the 32 ohm T70p. I would say the T70 with the DT1770 pads has more "direct and energetic" sound comparing to my T5p 1st Gen. The T70 is somewhere between my T5p and Signature Pro.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #1,671 of 1,956
Hi All, 2 weeks ago I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 2nd gen T5p's after much deliberation. I've been curious; I owned the T70p before, and I must say that while brilliant in some ways I generally thought they were rather bright and 'bottomless' sounding. What they did, they did right. However, they just didn't do everything I expected.

This led me to doubt very much on touching another Tesla driver (especially in this price range), but boy am I glad I did. It is 100% not what I expected, and I'm loving every single bit of it (something I never had with any HP before). Anybody else had experience with T70 (or T90) and felt similar?

PS: live albums sound eargasmic on these cans!
Do tell more! I've been on the fence with this can for too long.

Apr 29, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,672 of 1,956
Do tell more! I've been on the fence with this can for too long.

Well, I'd love to tell more but I'd probably be rambling. I want to prevent 'new-toy ramblings', so is there anything you'd like to know? Perhaps compared to (or in combo with) some of my gear?
Currently I'm mostly using them out of my iDSD BL, using Tidal Hifi. I must say I haven't been able to compare them to any of my other cans, as I've been exploring my music catalogue all over again with these.

The one thing I will add now: I was afraid these wouldn't have the base I'm looking for (I'm not a basshead, but I think it should be there when needed) but they surprised me in every way possible. There's plenty, but only when needed, and with much detail. It is the one can (apart from maybe the PRO900i) for which I don't touch the Xbass of the iDSD. It's just right.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,673 of 1,956
So, my 3rd pair of T5p.2 arrived.
They are as good as ever. A few things I noticed:
- Headband padding seems a bit less, is this Beyer's fix for the 'headband coming loose' issues some have with the T1/T5p?
- Earpads seem less 'new' then the ones you can order from Beyerdynamic themselves as replacement, did they change these?
- Dekoni choice leather pads are a heavenly match for these!
It's good to be back 'home' :D

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,674 of 1,956
So, my 3rd pair of T5p.2 arrived.
They are as good as ever. A few things I noticed:
- Headband padding seems a bit less, is this Beyer's fix for the 'headband coming loose' issues some have with the T1/T5p?
- Earpads seem less 'new' then the ones you can order from Beyerdynamic themselves as replacement, did they change these?
- Dekoni choice leather pads are a heavenly match for these!
It's good to be back 'home' :D
3rd pair?? May I ask why 3rd? :p

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,677 of 1,956
Sold the 1st and 2nd pair in the past.
One learns from mistakes they say, so I made the mistake twice.
Ouch, the 1st gen had a cool case.

Last edited:
May 1, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #1,678 of 1,956
Ouch, the 1st gen had a cool case.
The 2nd Gen has a more useable travel case ! plus the detachable cables is a big plus.

May 1, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,679 of 1,956
The 2nd Gen has a more useable travel case ! plus the detachable cables is a big plus.
I know. The 2nd gen case also doesn't damage other stuff if you have them in the bag. The detachables cables is a very big plus and it's durable too!

May 1, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,680 of 1,956
Gen 2 is miles ahead of gen1 in most departments: frequency curve, portability, case, cable and durability!
One could think that the pads of gen1 were better, but their price nowadays is insane and with Dekoni and the likes there are so many options to choose from pad wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back