New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,621 of 1,965
Hi, I am considering buying a T5p or T1. Which one would you pick?

I own both. If you have to decide, you need to ask yourself whether you need an open or closed back headphone.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,622 of 1,965
it depends on your source. T1 takes a lot of amp power while T5 can play from a phone.

T5 plays well from a phone, but from my experience it sounds at its full potential on a good DAP and a decent desktop system as well. The T1 will require some power to sound good. For portable, I highly recommend the IFI iDSD Black Label. T1 also pairs nicely with tube amps.

Apr 22, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #1,623 of 1,965
T5p if you don't have a source that doesn't provide enough power.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #1,624 of 1,965
is a full size desktop rig overkill for t5? t5 fits me well comfort wise t1 does not and i would be using with a chord tt2.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,625 of 1,965
is a full size desktop rig overkill for t5? t5 fits me well comfort wise t1 does not and i would be using with a chord tt2.
In my opinion, no, it's not overkill but that's subjective. A full size desktop rig here too with T5p.2
Maybe it's overkill to some but let's be honest, they sounds so good and comfort is so good too so why not.

Apr 22, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #1,626 of 1,965
T5p if you don't have a source that doesn't provide enough power.
[/QUOT]
I am considering upgrading my Denon AH-D5200 with something that has better clarity, mids/vocals such as HD600,HD650,HD6XX,Sundara,T1,T5K,E-MU Teak,TH610,,,,after reading comments here at head-fi narrowed down to those two phones. I listen to all kinds of music, mostly film music, classic and jazz from Tidal Hifi. My humble amp is just an OPPO HA-2SE.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,627 of 1,965
I am considering upgrading my Denon AH-D5200 with something that has better clarity, mids/vocals such as HD600,HD650,HD6XX,Sundara,T1,T5K,E-MU Teak,TH610,,,,after reading comments here at head-fi narrowed down to those two phones. I listen to all kinds of music, mostly film music, classic and jazz from Tidal Hifi. My humble amp is just an OPPO HA-2SE.
I see. You don't have the opportunity to try out the T1? But you can't go wrong with either the T1 or T5p.
I got the T5p because it's very easy to drive it. I once tried using it with my Nintendo DS Phat for giggles and was blown away. Clarity is outstanding.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #1,628 of 1,965
I see. You don't have the opportunity to try out the T1? But you can't go wrong with either the T1 or T5p.
I got the T5p because it's very easy to drive it. I once tried using it with my Nintendo DS Phat for giggles and was blown away. Clarity is outstanding.

The T1 will be a tad brighter and it does have a treble peak that could be unfriendly to those unfamilar with Tesla housesound. In fact, some finds it unbearable as you will be able to read in the T1.2 thread. I have no problem with it personally, but that's why you might want to audition to make sure you like the way it sounds. T5p is more balanced in my opinion. But with T1 you have a better soundstage as it is an open-back. I have both mainly due to different purposes of usage (t5p for office and outdoor) and T1 for desktop.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,629 of 1,965

Never an overkill. It will sound as good if not better.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #1,630 of 1,965
The T1 will be a tad brighter and it does have a treble peak that could be unfriendly to those unfamilar with Tesla housesound. In fact, some finds it unbearable as you will be able to read in the T1.2 thread. I have no problem with it personally, but that's why you might want to audition to make sure you like the way it sounds. T5p is more balanced in my opinion. But with T1 you have a better soundstage as it is an open-back. I have both mainly due to different purposes of usage (t5p for office and outdoor) and T1 for desktop.
So the T5p was a much better choice. My intentions on headphones is to be able to use them on any device, wether portable or desktop. The T1.2 won't cut it for me.
For better soundstage I have the Amiron Home but screw it, I pick depending on my mood.

Never an overkill. It will sound as good if not better.
Exactly!

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #1,631 of 1,965
So the T5p was a much better choice. My intentions on headphones is to be able to use them on any device, wether portable or desktop. The T1.2 won't cut it for me.
For better soundstage I have the Amiron Home but screw it, I pick depending on my mood.

Exactly!

yeah that's my only complaint about the T1.2. Otherwise, it is quite a musical and enjoyable headphone. I think T5p was obviously tuned to be the closed-back counterpart of the T1.2. They are super close in sound signature and usually cost about the same.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #1,632 of 1,965
yeah that's my only complaint about the T1.2. Otherwise, it is quite a musical and enjoyable headphone. I think T5p was obviously tuned to be the closed-back counterpart of the T1.2. They are super close in sound signature and usually cost about the same.
And my other complaint is: why is there no T1.2 32ohm and open-back. It has probably to do about the portability and open-backs doesn't block noise. But then again, if they are super close in sound, why not. I'm just curious why the T1.2 has more reviews than the T5p if they are close in sound and price.

But the treble peak of the T1.2, is it like the DT770/880?

Apr 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,635 of 1,965
And my other complaint is: why is there no T1.2 32ohm and open-back. It has probably to do about the portability and open-backs doesn't block noise. But then again, if they are super close in sound, why not. I'm just curious why the T1.2 has more reviews than the T5p if they are close in sound and price.

But the treble peak of the T1.2, is it like the DT770/880?

I think the T1.2 came out first and then Beyer feels the pressure to release something with lower impedance to catch up with with audiophiles' portable trend including DAPs and DAC/AMP. Very few headphones on the market today has a 600 ohm impedance compared to the past. That said, the T1.2 sounds excellent on my Kann Cube and I did justify purchasing it as the only portable gig that can drive the T1.2 properly without a desktop system.

I never tried the DT770/880 but I can say the brightest I have ever found in Beyer headphone was the DT1990 Pro....sold it 3 weeks after purchase. I learned my lesson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back