New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 12, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,126 of 3,924
Howdy...

Just received my T1.2 this week on the recommendation of Mike at Woo Audio.  I wanted to spend more but he suggested the T1s.  I like them but have a couple of questions.  First, how long is the burn in for these cans and how worthwhile would it be to get a 3rd party cable instead of the stock (which honestly, seems pretty nice)?  

Thanks.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,127 of 3,924
Hi everyone! 

Just received my Tesla T1 2nd gen yesterday. I can't express enough of how much I love them! They are without a doubt, SUPREME to the Sennheiser HD650's! I can't put them down! They are that good! I'm really happy that I decided to spend the cash on them. Definitely my best purchase yet!

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,128 of 3,924
copajohn,

The original/stock cable that comes with T1.2's is very good quality. Sure, they're are "better" cables that could possibly bring about a finite amount of additional transparency (~5%) but dont't expect the tonality to change or for cables to transform the sound in any way

In my opinion the main reason to "upgrade" your cables it to rewire for balanced or to obtain a specific length thats more convenient and comfortable for youre listening situation or preferences.

Then again, you could always get the shorter more portable cable from the T5P.2 or the balanced cable that Beyer sells specifically for the T1.

--Shawn

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,129 of 3,924
spiderking31,

I have both the HD650's and the T1.2's and i wouldn't call the Beyer's SUPREME. Thats seems excessive or an exaggeration.

I dont think we should be spreading the headhone a is better than headphone b propaganda. Once you're in the high end game there is just different flavors of transparency.

Both headphones perform great. To my ears, they have more in common, more similarities than differences. The biggest differences lie in the soundstage presentation.

In my opinion, the HD650's have a more intimate sound stage.

To be more specific, I perceive the midband to have some additional emphasis or energy (75Hz-500Hz +2-4db). This gives slightly more weight to vocals and/or instruments in this region which I find more engaging.

The T1.2's are ruler flat, almost to a fault. They have no character. Its actually quite a remarkable engineering feat. I find with some genres or material the T1.2's can being boring or lifeless.

The T1.2's advantage is in soundstage width and depth, imaging, instrument localization and instrument separation.

That being said, the differences are rather small...

It all comes down to your preference. Do you prefer a closer mic'd session or more of a mid hall experience?

--Shawn

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #1,130 of 3,924
spiderking31,

I have both the HD650's and the T1.2's and i wouldn't call the Beyer's SUPREME. Thats seems excessive or an exaggeration.

I dont think we should be spreading the headhone a is better than headphone b propaganda. Once you're in the high end game there is just different flavors of transparency.

Both headphones perform great. To my ears, they have more in common, more similarities than differences. The biggest differences lie in the soundstage presentation.

In my opinion, the HD650's have a more intimate sound stage.

To be more specific, I perceive the midband to have some additional emphasis or energy (75Hz-500Hz +2-4db). This gives slightly more weight to vocals and/or instruments in this region which I find more engaging.

The T1.2's are ruler flat, almost to a fault. They have no character. Its actually quite a remarkable engineering feat. I find with some genres or material the T1.2's can being boring or lifeless.

The T1.2's advantage is in soundstage width and depth, imaging, instrument localization and instrument separation.

That being said, the differences are rather small...

It all comes down to your preference. Do you prefer a closer mic'd session or more of a mid hall experience?

--Shawn
Most of the experts around here compare the T1.2 to the HD800-never the 650. T1.2 have far and away more accuracy, air and speed in presentation than the 650. Imho, far more exciting, not to mention build quality far exceeding 650. Add the balanced cable to the T1.2's and they become truly special. I was not expecting too much going balanced cable. Now, it's mandatory, for me at least, with the cans.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #1,131 of 3,924
Most of the experts around here compare the T1.2 to the HD800-never the 650. T1.2 have far and away more accuracy, air and speed in presentation than the 650. Imho, far more exciting, not to mention build quality far exceeding 650. Add the balanced cable to the T1.2's and they become truly special. I was not expecting too much going balanced cable. Now, it's mandatory, for me at least, with the cans.

What would you say if you knew that way back in 2011 a Benchmark engineer posted that:

"The result of balanced headphones is less damping factor, more distortion, and more noise." and " balanced headphones configurations offer no real benefits, to boot."

What would you say if in the same thread, our own EE Moderator KWKARTH posted:

"Someplace around here at least a year or more ago, I posted the genesis of balanced headphone amplifiers.  It was a brilliant business decision, allowing the company create a new product of higher performance from bridging the outputs from amplifier modules already on hand in stock without having to completely redesign." 

and then went to say that:

"Yes, I think this thing took on a life of it's own and pretty soon companies started to realize they could sell more gear at higher profits if they made the gear "balanced."

and further posted:

"If I'm running 400' of cable from one studio to another, I want a balanced line, but to go from DAC to headamp 1m away, it's a wasted effort, and doubly so if I'm driving an unbalanced device like a speaker or headphone."

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #1,132 of 3,924
What would you say if you knew that way back in 2011 a Benchmark engineer posted that:

[COLOR=0000FF]"The result of balanced headphones is less damping factor, more distortion, and more noise."[/COLOR] and " [COLOR=0000FF]balanced headphones configurations offer no real benefits, to boot."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]"Someplace around here at least a year or more ago, I posted the genesis of balanced headphone amplifiers.  It was a brilliant business decision, allowing the company create a new product of higher performance from bridging the outputs from amplifier modules already on hand in stock without having to completely redesign." [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]"Yes, I think this thing took on a life of it's own and pretty soon companies started to realize they could sell more gear at higher profits if they made the gear "balanced."[/COLOR]

and further posted:

[COLOR=0000FF]"If I'm running 400' of cable from one studio to another, I want a balanced line, but to go from DAC to headamp 1m away, it's a wasted effort, and doubly so if I'm driving an unbalanced device like a speaker or headphone."[/COLOR]
I would say this-I've been into audio since 97 and have owned more exotic, high end gear than I care to mention. Spent easily north of $60k on equipment over that time span. I know all the reasons why 1 meter runs of balanced cables are theoretically nonsensical. Anytime I ever ran balanced cables into my 2 channel stereo I never heard a single difference whatsoever. I took the advice of MacedonianHero to use the T1.2 balanced. Obviously being skeptical and figuring I'll just blow another $160. You can believe whatever you want but to these ears the improvements were palpable.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #1,133 of 3,924

[COLOR=0000FF]"The result of balanced headphones is less damping factor, more distortion, and more noise."[/COLOR] and " [COLOR=0000FF]balanced headphones configurations offer no real benefits, to boot."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]"Someplace around here at least a year or more ago, I posted the genesis of balanced headphone amplifiers.  It was a brilliant business decision, allowing the company create a new product of higher performance from bridging the outputs from amplifier modules already on hand in stock without having to completely redesign." [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]"Yes, I think this thing took on a life of it's own and pretty soon companies started to realize they could sell more gear at higher profits if they made the gear "balanced."[/COLOR]

and further posted:

[COLOR=0000FF]"If I'm running 400' of cable from one studio to another, I want a balanced line, but to go from DAC to headamp 1m away, it's a wasted effort, and doubly so if I'm driving an unbalanced device like a speaker or headphone."[/COLOR]

If I don't run balanced into the pono player I don't have anywhere near enough volume. Period.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #1,134 of 3,924
If I don't run balanced into the pono player I don't have anywhere near enough volume. Period.

This is true, most devices output more power in balanced mode. Which depending on the headphone, does have an audible impact.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #1,135 of 3,924
Interesting points on both sides for Balanced Connections.

I am not sure on how to take my point in this but:

Yes, balanced cables do provide better job of cancelling the noise and doubling the gain of the signal thus providing a louder amplification (though more gain does not really equate to clearer, more detailed sound)

No, because if balanced connections really have "less damping, more noise and more distortion" then probably we wanted the signal to be colored just like how people like tube amps?

I am still new on audio hobby and dont claim on anything, but these are the two points that i have in my experiences.

I hope we can gain more knowledge by sharing inputs.

:)

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #1,136 of 3,924

"The result of balanced headphones is less damping factor, more distortion, and more noise." and " balanced headphones configurations offer no real benefits, to boot."

"Someplace around here at least a year or more ago, I posted the genesis of balanced headphone amplifiers.  It was a brilliant business decision, allowing the company create a new product of higher performance from bridging the outputs from amplifier modules already on hand in stock without having to completely redesign." 

"Yes, I think this thing took on a life of it's own and pretty soon companies started to realize they could sell more gear at higher profits if they made the gear "balanced."

and further posted:

"If I'm running 400' of cable from one studio to another, I want a balanced line, but to go from DAC to headamp 1m away, it's a wasted effort, and doubly so if I'm driving an unbalanced device like a speaker or headphone."

I would say this-I've been into audio since 97 and have owned more exotic, high end gear than I care to mention. Spent easily north of $60k on equipment over that time span. I know all the reasons why 1 meter runs of balanced cables are theoretically nonsensical. Anytime I ever ran balanced cables into my 2 channel stereo I never heard a single difference whatsoever. I took the advice of MacedonianHero to use the T1.2 balanced. Obviously being skeptical and figuring I'll just blow another $160. You can believe whatever you want but to these ears the improvements were palpable.

"I know all the reasons why 1 meter runs of balanced cables are theoretically nonsensical."

"Anytime I ever ran balanced cables into my 2 channel stereo I never heard a single difference whatsoever."

And yet, without a whimper, you have allowed yourself to claim improvements that you know can't possibly be there.

When, deep in your thinking process, you know scientifically, that what you are hearing is the volume increase between balanced and single ended.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,137 of 3,924
[COLOR=0000FF]"I know all the reasons why 1 meter runs of balanced cables are theoretically nonsensical."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]"Anytime I ever ran balanced cables into my 2 channel stereo I never heard a single difference whatsoever."[/COLOR]

And yet, without a whimper, you have allowed yourself to claim improvements that you know can't possibly be there.

When, deep in your thinking process, you know scientifically, that what you are hearing is the volume increase between balanced and single ended.
Ok God. Thank you. Got it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #1,139 of 3,924
  Could you all suggest me a couple of songs that sound best with the T1.2?

/triestosteerconversation

Very wise thing to do in these kind of situations..... Money for Nothing, Dire Straits 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back