New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 15, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #752 of 3,925
But it's still not closed and not so ideal for portable use.

I happened to discuss this just today with a local head-fier... My impression about that product was similar, i.e. why build a portable version of a semi-closed headphone that offers not much isolation (besides that I think the 600Ohm version with its lighter voice coil has an advantage overall) and he had a good point, referring to the overall strategy of Astell&Kern, i.e. centering around mobile devices. I think small footprint is especially valued in Asia and not necessarily because of mobility but simple space considerations, i.e. using the same ocmponents at home. And making the T1 easier to drive with a mobile player for use at home does make some sense in that context I think... e.g. I do in fact use my PHA3+Z7 combination when I want to listen at home but outside my own room where the rest of my (desktop) equipment resides.

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #753 of 3,925

I happened to discuss this just today with a local head-fier... My impression about that product was similar, i.e. why build a portable version of a semi-closed headphone that offers not much isolation (besides that I think the 600Ohm version with its lighter voice coil has an advantage overall) and he had a good point, referring to the overall strategy of Astell&Kern, i.e. centering around mobile devices. I think small footprint is especially valued in Asia and not necessarily because of mobility but simple space considerations, i.e. using the same ocmponents at home. And making the T1 easier to drive with a mobile player for use at home does make some sense in that context I think... e.g. I do in fact use my PHA3+Z7 combination when I want to listen at home but outside my own room where the rest of my (desktop) equipment resides.

There is a comparison test in German for both the beyerdynamic T 1 (2. Generation) and Astell&Kern AK T1p.
Read test from Machtechnews (German only).

Nov 16, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #754 of 3,925
There is a comparison test in German for both the beyerdynamic T 1 (2. Generation) and Astell&Kern AK T1p.
Read test from Machtechnews (German only).

Hm... Not worth translating :wink:
The first three comments are quite to the point though...

I think I'll stay with the 600Ohm version anyway. And prefer the screw-on adapter (which looks really nice btw).

The decision to make the cable detachable helps with such model variances I guess... Not much effort to put different cables into the A&K package. Would be nice if the 3,5mm connectors with the locking mechanism were available to third party cable makers as well...

Nov 16, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #755 of 3,925
Hm... Not worth translating :wink:
The first three comments are quite to the point though...

I think I'll stay with the 600Ohm version anyway. And prefer the screw-on adapter (which looks really nice btw).

The decision to make the cable detachable helps with such model variances I guess... Not much effort to put different cables into the A&K package. Would be nice if the 3,5mm connectors with the locking mechanism were available to third party cable makers as well...

The google chrome translation wasn't that bad actually. German translates pretty well into English while still retaining some of it's even most figurative language and special context. They are very similar languages after all.

The snap-on or plug-in type adapter cable for the AK T1p is the same Beyerdynamic 1.4m (not 3m) cable for the T1.2 that you can buy straight from the Beyerdynamic website.

Edit: I just realized the joke, you're from Austria so you probably already took or understand German. :-D

Nov 17, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #756 of 3,925
  The google chrome translation wasn't that bad actually. German translates pretty well into English while still retaining some of it's even most figurative language and special context. They are very similar languages after all.

The snap-on or plug-in type adapter cable for the AK T1p is the same Beyerdynamic 1.4m (not 3m) cable for the T1.2 that you can buy straight from the Beyerdynamic website.

Edit: I just realized the joke, you're from Austria so you probably already took or understand German. :-D

Yes, I could read the article in German and was just commenting on its content :wink: And that I found to be rather empty.

You're right, only the 3m cable has a screw-on adapter, the 1,4m cable sold as an accessory does not and might well be the same as bundled with the AK T1p.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #757 of 3,925
With fully burned T1.2 once again I've compared everything together and made quick comparison with two (also) fully burned HD800's from early-mid and mid-late batches and previous version of T1.

Bas: T1.2 >= HD800 > T1.1
Stronger and more spacious in T1.2. Faster, lighter, better controlled and more precise in HD800. I must say I actually prefer the one from T1.2 to both T1.1 and HD800, although it can become a little unstable sometimes and where it does, HD800 are coming through as very steady and even sounding pair of headphones.

Midrange: HD800 >= T1.1 > T1.2
More distant and hollow in T1.2 while HD800 is more forward, more honest, tangible. It is clear win for HD800 in my book, as I expected to hear things contrarivise. I was struggle to admit it, but previous T1 were better in my opinion in this department, sometimes lacking against HD800, sometimes performing better. Now I know why @plakat still prefers his T1.1. Things gets better with time (burn-in + pads adaptation), but still present.

Highs: HD800 > T1.1 > T1.2
This is tremendous win for HD800 for better tone and resolution of its crystal clear highs. Even my much more cheaper AKG M220 PRO with EDT-T1V were able to pick a fight with T1.2, which I found very disturbing. Highs in T1.2 sounded just thin, cheap and displaced, unglued from the rest. Like it wasn't belong to the headphones from so high price range. This feeling was probably mostly due to overdetailed style of presentation but in previous version of T1 the whole character of highs blended better with the rest of tonal sections. With T1.2 even with mods which were able to fix its tonality, there were still some problems with pure quality. So while tonally T1.2 are better than T1.1, at the same time they are showing more contrast between overall character of bass + mids and highs. 

Soundstage: HD800 > T1.2 > T1.1
It is indeed quite similar, but for HD800 is still a win due to better sense of airness and openess. It is wider, but in T1.2 soundstage is deeper, with better depth, but for the price of hollow feeling mentioned above. Also soundstage of HD800 can be rescaled up very well with better gear.

So the answers for key questions from my point of view and ears are the following:

Does T1.2 perform better than T1.1?
- Yes and no. Bass is clearly better, tonality of highs is a tad friendlier, soundstage depth is better. At the same time midrange is worse and the balance of character between bass/mid and highs is shaken.

Does owner of T1.1 should consider buying T1.2?
- No, I would say rather no. You can consider buying new ear pads instead and letting them do a similar job on your old T1.

Does T1.2 can touch HD800 in any way?
- Only if we are talking about bass. But that's all. So mostly - no.

Can T1.2 with older ear pads do the trick?
- Probably. But I've found highs to be more piercing that way and the depth from soundstage is smaller. So yeah, still trade-offs. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #759 of 3,925
--snippet--

Does owner of T1.1 should consider buying T1.2?

- No, I would say rather no. You can consider buying new ear pads instead and letting them do a similar job on your old T1.

Thank you very much for the comprehensive write up and comparison.

Re 'new earpads', are you referring to regular replacement or a different kind, if so which ones?

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #760 of 3,925
Balanced DT990/600 upgrade path would be which pair you think? Still the T1.2, modified (reterminated for balanced) T1.1 or HD800?

I've had DT990/600 Edition and got the chance months ago for comparison with old T1 - Teslas were less veiled and more honest to my ears, although even brighter than DT990 and with lighter bass department. Despite that, Teslas impressed me more, as very precise technical headphones, while DT990 were very strong premium class aimed for greater fun coming from music. 
I would say if you want to get good bang for the buck and prefer fun at the first place, then DT990/600 with BAL cable should be strongly considered. But if I were you and I would have enough money, HD800 + proper BAL cable would be definitely my choice. Combine both pairs with good tube-based chain and you'll be surprised how much of goodies can be achieved that way.

Thank you very much for the comprehensive write up and comparison.

Re 'new earpads', are you referring to regular replacement or a different kind, if so which ones?

Your welcome. 

I am referring to redesigned earpads for new T1.2's. Their construction is different from ordinary EDT-T1V:
- more shallow,
- very soft and silky in touch, Beyerd used absolutely fantastic material here,
- only one ring of bigger acoustic holes from the inner side of earpads (old ones had them spreaded through entire earpad, just like other DT8/9xx series).

I unfortunately have no information about availability of those, as same as their product code. EDT-T1V is for older ones. But those new earpads are the cause of pretty much the main changes in sound signature of new Teslas. That's their secret. Even acoustic muffler on the back of the drivers can't change the sound as much as earpads. This is the crucial part of any headphones, and Teslas are no exception here. Exchanging them for old ones brought T1.2 back to the signature of T1.1, but with much better bass, more monitoring sound, more forward mids but unfortunately made them even brighter and with less sense of 3D in soundstage. Still, some people loves that kind of presentation, more honest, more direct and sounding like "ordinary" headphones.

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #761 of 3,925
beyerdynamic has the WORST QC ever

My first pair was DOA, no sound in left earpiece. Second pair has a very channel imbalance with the right side louder than the left side.

That too of the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2.

It took them a month to replace the unit and this is what I get.

I'm done with Beyerdynamic.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #762 of 3,925
  beyerdynamic has the WORST QC ever

My first pair was DOA, no sound in left earpiece. Second pair has a very channel imbalance with the right side louder than the left side.

That too of the Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2.

It took them a month to replace the unit and this is what I get.

I'm done with Beyerdynamic.

Interesting... I've had quite some Beyerdynamic headphones and just one with problems (a Custom Studio had a defective driver). Should not happen even once with the top-tier models of course, but I think its not a general problem. Did your dealer handle the exchange or Beyerdynamic directly? EU or US?

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #763 of 3,925
I bought a pair of T1 V2 which were thankfully in working condition. It did not take too long to decide to return them and unfortunately it was not a difficult decision.

Good things:
- sound stage
- decent PRAT
- provide a little isolation
- comfort
- detachable cables

They are not an upgrade over T1 V1 imo. Here are my main issues with these headphones:
1. The bass has more body, but it did not sound as having very good quality. A bit phat and unresolving.
2. The mids are recessed and lower mids are somewhat warm, which might not be too bad if it was not for point 3.
3. High mids/treble are still bright and they are tonally off. Stringed instruments sound fake. Brass is painful. Exaggerated vocal sibilance. This is compared to several flagship headphones and speakers I have at my disposal.
4. T1 V2 did not sound very coherent top to bottom and sounded quite closed for open headpones. The closed sound is more of an issue for me than the slight advantage the little isolation provides for.

These headphones are imo best paired with a very coloured or defective rig to suit their flaws. The worst offenders were sibilance, general treble brightness and tonality. 

I was really hoping for something better.

Rig used:
Eddie Current 2A3 MK4
MSB Signature V stack
MSB UMT Plus transport

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #765 of 3,925
I already have a fully balanced DT990/600 (including internal wiring replacement); it's UP-OCC copper. Much smoother and less harsh/offensive compared to the stock cable by a large (imo) margin. I use it for everything at the moment. No real complaints either.

Just upgraded my amp to a balanced Violectric HPA V181. I'm not really into the ideas of tubes. Not considering another amp either. What I have now works with bright headphones as is; even the Ultrasone Signature Pro sounds inoffensive. Lol. My current setup got rid of the edgy, rough and offensive treble I was hearing out of my old (bright) schiit setup.

Buying a T1.1 and having it recabled might cost less than a T1.2 or HD800. I've heard plenty of complaints about the original T1 that put me off buying them before (at least stock). Hmmm... would you still recommend the HD800 without tubes? Which of the three for gaming + music use?
I also was thinking what to chose for gaming and music. Amazing soundstage and distortion less nature (you can heavily eq it and it wont distort like DT990 for example, you can easily make it V Shape like DT990 for immersive experience) of HD800 is no brainer! For most genres i think T1 should be better, but where HD800 is better it is better significantly! SS warm amps that come my mind is Violectric and Beyerdynamic A20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back