New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #766 of 3,925
I unfortunately have no information about availability of those, as same as their product code. EDT-T1V is for older ones. But those new earpads are the cause of pretty much the main changes in sound signature of new Teslas.

Did a quick search, looks like Thomann has the new earpads in stock.

Edit: Almost forgot, thanks for clarifying the new earpads specifics

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #768 of 3,925
Buying a T1.1 and having it recabled might cost less than a T1.2 or HD800. I've heard plenty of complaints about the original T1 that put me off buying them before (at least stock). Hmmm... would you still recommend the HD800 without tubes? Which of the three for gaming + music use?

It might and probably will, but have you considered used headphones? Also with T1.2 and HD800 you have exchangeable cables right out of the box. With T1.1 it is better to modify them for mXLR plugs, without hard recabling. OCC7N copper with 8-string configuration should be a good direction.

Yes I do. HD800 can perform well without tubes and I'm not a big fan of them myself. I believe good results with HD800 comes from proper synergy. I could use expensive integrated DAC+AMPs and still prefer cheaper NuForce Icon HDP. I was completely surprised how good this pairing sounds, despite working in lower class and without great amount of power. And that is just an example.

For music and gaming I would choose HD800. Only with STAX from series pre-x07 you can do better.

I also was thinking what to chose for gaming and music. Amazing soundstage and distortion less nature (you can heavily eq it and it wont distort like DT990 for example, you can easily make it V Shape like DT990 for immersive experience) of HD800 is no brainer! For most genres i think T1 should be better, but where HD800 is better it is better significantly! SS warm amps that come my mind is Violectric and Beyerdynamic A20.

If you know that HD800 would be "it", you can give them a shot. At the end of the day it will still be up to you.

For most genres T1.1 sound quite balanced and predictable, just like ordinary headphones and that was always their strenght in my opinion. But still HD800 is a better product for me as a whole with better quality. And, to be honest, are perfoming more acceptible from greater amount of gear than T1 in both revisions.
Every EQ will inject some distortion into the system, especially the software one, but with HD800 I could sort things better, easier and faster. I'm often working with old Kenwood GE-45 analog equalizer with upgraded OPA's and found it very well suited for the task. With T1.2 I've had enormous amount of problems with their highs, which required very precise multiband equalization.
I still happen to prefer Lehmann on similar constructions over those two personally. 

Anyone know if someone offers adapters for the T1.2's connectors yet? (e.g. Senn/Audeze to T1.2's 3.5mm mono)

It is good to ask some DIY cable makers about them. Generally if you can buy proper connectors able to mount on the cable, then there shouldn't be much problem with feasibility of such adapters. But be adviced that it will add you some extra weight to the cable and can affect your final ergonomy greatly. That is why I decided to order a normal cable. After selling T1.2 I'll just reterminate it for HD800. 

And 3,5mm's are stereo, not mono. Although soldered as mono.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #769 of 3,925
It might and probably will, but have you considered used headphones? Also with T1.2 and HD800 you have exchangeable cables right out of the box. With T1.1 it is better to modify them for mXLR plugs, without hard recabling. OCC7N copper with 8-string configuration should be a good direction.

Yes I do. HD800 can perform well without tubes and I'm not a big fan of them myself. I believe good results with HD800 comes from proper synergy. I could use expensive integrated DAC+AMPs and still prefer cheaper NuForce Icon HDP. I was completely surprised how good this pairing sounds, despite working in lower class and without great amount of power. And that is just an example.

For music and gaming I would choose HD800. Only with STAX from series pre-x07 you can do better.

If you know that HD800 would be "it", you can give them a shot. At the end of the day it will still be up to you.

For most genres T1.1 sound quite balanced and predictable, just like ordinary headphones and that was always their strenght in my opinion. But still HD800 is a better product for me as a whole with better quality. And, to be honest, are perfoming more acceptible from greater amount of gear than T1 in both revisions.
Every EQ will inject some distortion into the system, especially the software one, but with HD800 I could sort things better, easier and faster. I'm often working with old Kenwood GE-45 analog equalizer with upgraded OPA's and found it very well suited for the task. With T1.2 I've had enormous amount of problems with their highs, which required very precise multiband equalization.
I still happen to prefer Lehmann on similar constructions over those two personally. 

It is good to ask some DIY cable makers about them. Generally if you can buy proper connectors able to mount on the cable, then there shouldn't be much problem with feasibility of such adapters. But be adviced that it will add you some extra weight to the cable and can affect your final ergonomy greatly. That is why I decided to order a normal cable. After selling T1.2 I'll just reterminate it for HD800. 

And 3,5mm's are stereo, not mono. Although soldered as mono.
I Think i would like HD800 with A20. A20 have thick natural lifelike mids + HD800 thin mids = natural and not thin mids. Hd800 have very precise bass, but it lack bass and A20 have big amount of bass and sub bass so now it should not lack bass punch. Highs are tamed of A20 = a bit harsh highs of HD800 = no sibilace. Dont know how it cant work with HD800? It must work! Later i pick Bifrost multibit. Actually i would be happy for music with HD650, but i wanted HD800 to use for 80% gaming and movies and 20% for music. I also want to try sometime T1 but i think HD650 and DT990 can give me what t1 can for my preferred genres.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #770 of 3,925
If you are so sure about it that you are shouting that it will work, then god bless and try it out.

But I would never call highs of HD800 "harsh". It better suits T1.2 and that was the reason why I was so terrified when compared them with 10-times cheaper M220 PRO. My 14-years old SRS-3030 literally blew T1.2 out of the water and only HD800 or Audeze could stand a chance for similar money. HD800 are typically bright in 6 kHz, but not harsh unless feeding chain is at least decent quality.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #771 of 3,925
Anyone know if someone offers adapters for the T1.2's connectors yet? (e.g. Senn/Audeze to T1.2's 3.5mm mono)

I know Double helix and Norne have the connectors to make cables for the T1 gen2. Just got a sample from them a few days ago. So it is possible now to get something that fits, whereas before we had no plug that would work. 

Nov 18, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #772 of 3,925

Interesting... I've had quite some Beyerdynamic headphones and just one with problems (a Custom Studio had a defective driver). Should not happen even once with the top-tier models of course, but I think its not a general problem. Did your dealer handle the exchange or Beyerdynamic directly? EU or US?

Beyerdynamic directly.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #773 of 3,925
I own these headphones and keep them on my desk uncovered. I recently noticed the membrane has some particles perhaps dandruffs. How can I clean it without damaging it?

(Image is for illustration, not my set.)

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #774 of 3,925
Exchanging them for old ones brought T1.2 back to the signature of T1.1, but with much better bass, more monitoring sound, more forward mids but unfortunately made them even brighter and with less sense of 3D in soundstage.

So with the new pads on the T1.1 there'd be crappier bass quality, less monitoring (neutral/analytical?) sound, less forward mids AND less brightness? Or doesn't it work this way?

Did a quick search, looks like Thomann has the new earpads in stock.

Thanks for the link. Going for a pair?

Originally Posted by matti620 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I own these headphones and keep them on my desk uncovered. I recently noticed the membrane has some particles perhaps dandruffs. How can I clean it without damaging it?

I'd say a soft (paint)brush if blowing air doesn't do it.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #775 of 3,925

I'd say a soft (paint)brush if blowing air doesn't do it.

I wouldn't blow air as the air could push in the driver membrane and damage/deform it. I've seen it happen on other headphones. :/

However, the brush sounds like a decent plan. 

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it as babying the headphones to much could add wear and tear to the headphones. I know the mesh that goes over the driver is actually pretty lightly adhered, as to not cause over gluing, and can come up if messed with too frequently. Maybe brush it out a couple of times per year, but don't make it a routinely thing otherwise you'll have bigger problems on your hands. :p 

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #776 of 3,925
I wouldn't blow air as the air could push in the driver membrane and damage/deform it. I've seen it happen on other headphones. :/

Gently blowing air, as if it was something erotic. Not at the top of your lung
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #777 of 3,925

Gently blowing air, as if it was something erotic. Not at the top of your lung
biggrin.gif

Lol. Good point, but if you do it at an angle it could catch the mesh and might pull on it a bit too. Imo I wouldn't worry about it :wink:

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #779 of 3,925

Thanks for the link. Going for a pair?

Me? Waiting for Santa to bring me some audio goodies......
Probably ending up hitting the Thomann 'add to basket' button 'myself somewhere late December. I'm pretty sure though youre not willing to wait for that  
beyersmile.png

If the earpad is what changes the sound signature significantly and nearing T1.2's sound, it'll be well worth the price without breaking the bank. Even if it would be just for the fun of it. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #780 of 3,925

If erotic blowing doesn't help, try using the tip of a soft badger shaving brush. If it really worries you that much and none of this works - this may sound rigorous I know - you could use the vacuum cleaner on low(est) power, holding it at a distance while holding the cup upside down to have gravity help you. - AT YOUR OWN RISK - 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back