New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 22, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #796 of 3,924
So I got my T1.2's a few days ago and after several hours of testing and doing back and forth's, I'm pretty sure I still prefer my T1.1's. However I suspect preferences will be subjective, and as such I thought I'd explain the differences I noticed.

Did the T1 even need improving?

Now I should mention, my copy of the T1.1's are what I'd class as pretty much ideal. I've never thought they suffered from any kind of sibilance, harshness or thinness of any kind, and they've always felt very smooth to me. In-fact, they're noticeably smoother than my HD800's, which can actually sometimes sound slightly thin and ever so slightly artificial in comparison. I'm confident there are some frequency differences amongst different copies of the same cans, simply due to manufacturing variance. The only thing I've ever felt was ever so slightly lacking with the T1.1's that I have, is sub bass quantity, but even then only in some tracks, and this is fairly easily remedied with some EQ'ing. When I need that extra bass, in Amarra I use an EQ with 32+4, 62+1 and 250-1, and that pretty much perfects them for those tracks that need the added sub bass oomph.

With all that said, with the T1.2's all I really wanted was something similar to what my EQ above essentially offers with my T1.1's, which is a slight boost to bass quantity, with limited loss of detail or change in overall sound signature.

Physical differences.

Before I get to the sonic differences, I thought I'd just spend a tiny bit of time explaining some of the physical one's. The most obvious is the new detachable cable, which is still high in quality, though a little less chunky than the old one, and now covered with what feels like a soft braided material instead of the rubber from the old one. The cups themselves I believe are exactly the same, minus the new ear cup material which to me doesn't look or feel quite as nice, and seems to make my ears get hotter quicker. 

The headband also feels and looks different. It seems slightly chunkier, and is slightly less premium to the touch. I don't think the headband is actually made of real leather any more. Likewise, the bit that connects the leather and the metal clasps together on the old model is made of actual metal (albeit smaller in size), unlike with the new model where these pieces are now a chunkier plastic. On the plus side, the new headband has a much sturdier and stiffer size change clicks, which is great, and an improvement from the loose feeling clicks on the old version.

Overall whilst the new cans are essentially the same basic design as the old one, the new headphones seem just a touch less premium than the old version, and seem slightly lighter to hold too.

Sonic differences, detail retrieval. 

So how do the T1.2's fair sonically? Well, naturally they are actually similar sounding to the T1.1's, however there are definitely some noticeable differences in how they both sound.

The most apparent difference overall is that the newer second generation model is slightly less open sounding, and a little less airy or detailed overall. I generally find it a touch harder to separate instruments and different sounds with as much precision as I can with my old T1.1's. Instead, with the T1.2's things sound ever so slightly more congested and intimate. I can't tell you exactly what causes this, though if I had to guess, it could be a combination of more subdued mids and highs, as well as a tiny bit more sub bass quantity, but after doing A/B comparisons with dozens and dozens of tracks, it was something I noticed recurringly. I'd often hear more tertiary background elements and sounds in tracks with the old version T1's compared to the new version, even though if I actively sought to hear the same sound or instrument with the T1.2's, I could generally find it, just not as easily.

Sound stage

On occasion, the soundstage with the T1.2's can sound a little deeper or more encapsulating, surrounding you more spherically, however it is definitely not as wide sounding as the original T1's, and this for me personally is a negative. I prefer width over depth, as I usually like to picture myself listening to a band, or listening to music as if the artist(s) are close in-front of me but spread out horizontally, as if on a stage, rather than only the main singer in-front, and the rest of the people playing the instruments surrounding me from all sides, some even from behind me. The T1.2's make the latter easier, and the former harder, whereas with the T1.1's it's the opposite. The T1.1's let you picture a wider and larger horizontal stage, where the T1.2's offer a soundstage that is a bit more intimate. Which you prefer will likely come down to subjective preference.

Bass

I was expecting the 2nd Generation T1's to have a noticeable bass emphasis over the originals, but in all honesty the bass is very comparable. I do feel like on occasion I can feel more sub bass quantity with the T1.2's, but it's only a very, very slight boost, and not really particularly noticeable or stand out. With certain tracks you'll feel a touch more impact down low, mostly with hip hop or other tracks that have subtle b-line of low bass in the background, but I have to re-iterate the fact that the difference is minor. I think in this sense it's a missed opportunity for Beyerdynamic.

Mids and highs

Mids sometimes seem ever so slightly more subdued with the new version, in the sense that vocals can at times sound a little less up-front or dominant. Highs seem mostly comparable, though there is a possibility they could be a little less crisp or defined with the T1.2's, as detail retrieval as mentioned earlier, is often easier on the old version. Whilst both the T1.1's and T1.2's are overall smooth sounding cans (at least my copies), I actually on very rare instance, heard more sibilance with newer version when compared to the older version. I'm not sure if the new version has more of a peak somewhere in it's frequency range or not, but this might explain it. In any case, neither sounds crass or harsh, and are both smoother sounding than my HD800's. I'd imagine instances where they have sounded overly sibilant, are more a fault of the recording than the headphones themselves, especially given how rare sibilance is with either.

Perhaps I was lucky with my original T1.1's, as I never felt they ever needed further smoothening or tempering up top, contrary to the opinions of others.

Other sonic pick ups.

One thing I noticed was that with a few tracks, male vocalists sounded more honest and realistic on the T1.2's, whilst it was female vocalists that sometimes sounded better on the T1.1's. Also, as mentioned earlier, when listening to the same tracks on both headphones over and over, I often felt it was easier to make out subtle background sounds and tertiary instrumentals with the T1.1's compared to the T1.2's, though I still wouldn't class the latter as lacking in detail, it just doesn't have quite the imaging potency as the T1.1's. Having said that, the more intimate presentation the T1.2's offer did actually benefit a few tracks, which sounded a tad more atmospheric as a result. 

Overall thoughts.

I'm not really sure if some of the changes with the T1.2's are necessarily positive, from the physical design differences, through to the sonic tweaks. Perhaps for those who had T1.1's that were overly sibilant or peaky, the new version will come as a Godsend. I personally never suffered these issues, and in that sense I'm not really sure the T1.2's bring much to the table. Sacrificing a little bit of imaging, soundstage width and overall detailing, for a more intimate soundstage and a smoother overall presentation, for me personally aren't enticing trade offs. The bass differences are a little too negligible to really count, which is a shame, as a slight sub bass boost is all that the original T1's ever really needed.

Despite feeling the second generation version of the T1's still sound absolutely fantastic, and are a joy to listen to, I still prefer the sound of my original T1's. They just seem that little bit more precise and open sounding. Having said that, to those who love cans like the Audeze LCD's 2's etc, which tend to have warmer, smoother more intimate presentations, maybe the T1.2's will be for you?

For now, my 5 year old pair of T1.1's are still my favourite cans, even if the logo and type has faded from the sides, and the sizing adjustments have become loose, and the leather headband is a little worn. The day it kicks the bucket is a day I never want to see.

Nov 22, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #797 of 3,924
Incredibly well-written and insightful comparison.  Answered all the questions I had in considering investing in the new version.  What you seemed to find were precisely the considerations I was worried about.  It seems we see our original T1.1's very much the same way...and I'm pretty sure from your takes that my reaction to  the T1.2's would be similarly cool.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #799 of 3,924
  Quote:

So with the new pads on the T1.1 there'd be crappier bass quality, less monitoring (neutral/analytical?) sound, less forward mids AND less brightness?

More bass actually. With less forward mids came more depth but also slight hollow effect. The rest of changes is correct. 

Ok thanks. For the sake of experiment I just ordered a pair 2nd gen pads. I'm not entirely happy with the T1 even from tubes so curious what these will bring.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #800 of 3,924
Very elaborated review but to the untrained ears the original t1 is still harsh to my ears

I don't doubt that with the version or copy you tried, that may have been the case. But what I've noticed even from comparing HD800 frequency graphs (as provided by Sennheiser themselves) is that there can be appreciable differences in sonic presentation in similar products due to manufacturering variance alone.

Some reviews of the T1's mentioned they were quite sibilant or peaky up top, whereas others have described them as smooth. It's possible some T1's simply never had as much of that treble spike, and as a result were smoother sounding.

Mine is not harsh in the slightest, and less harsh up top than both my HD800's and K545's.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #801 of 3,924
Mine is not harsh by any mean  either. I mainly listen to rock/metal songs from 60's to nowadays.
Recently, I've gotten a nfb-28 H option to myself. Although, I haven't had the time to make my T1 balanced, the setup is not harsh at all.
I must tell you that first month of use of t1 was not a good month though. The bass was not enough for me even with +6db equalization at 60HZ.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #802 of 3,924
Very elaborated review but to the untrained ears the original t1 is still harsh to my ears

That was my complaint of the original T1s. Even though I owned them for several years, the treble was the biggest reason why I eventually sold them. The Gen 2's treble is quite a bit more "balanced" to my ears. Add a punchier and tighter bass and wider / deeper soundstage and you have a winner!

Nov 24, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #803 of 3,924
That was my complaint of the original T1s. Even though I owned them for several years, the treble was the biggest reason why I eventually sold them. The Gen 2's treble is quite a bit more "balanced" to my ears. Add a punchier and tighter bass and wider / deeper soundstage and you have a winner!

MH, how do you feel about the mids vs T1.1?

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #804 of 3,924
MH, how do you feel about the mids vs T1.1?

Both have outstanding mids and I've never had issues with either. It's really too close to call here. But the improved bass response and flatter, more natural treble has really pushed them over the top for me. Throw in the added soundstaging left to right and front to back, they are keepers! I did buy the review pair...so they passed the "put your $ where your mouth is test". 
smile.gif

In other news, I did just get the balanced cable for my T1.2's and they do scale quite well with my GS-X Mk2 in this mode...better control down low and improved dynamics!

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #805 of 3,924
While isolation is important, I don't think that wire gauge matters as much with headphones, and I would say that that actually only matters with some high watt speakers. In fact, I'd argue that I higher gauge would act as a thicker, and with 24 carat gold a more conductive antenna which would introduce more distortion to your audio overall (although I could imagine that it would practically be inaudible overall). I think the best route to go would actually be getting the least conductive lowest gauge wire that you could possibly use, up until the point before where you would get a degradation of sound quality or volume (of course also taking into account the little bends in the grain of the wire over use throughout time). All of that stuff for me isn't that big of an issue however, that is just what I would assume would be the best theoretical input to give the best theoretical result. For me, my most largest concerns would be first and foremost cable microphonics (an actual audible issue that should be attempted to be minimized as much as possible), and then maybe cable strength (I've actually never had an issue with breaking audio cables though), soft touch cables (again ties with cable microphonics), and non-tangle cables. Lastly, more options for cable length is always good. Personally, I dislike cables that are longer than 1.2m, and I can't find a practical headphone use for them. 1m is probably my favorite length.

Makes sense. One question though: Why does a headphone speaker need a ground cable? Is it for isolation? reducing the hiss (from whatever source)? 

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #806 of 3,924
Makes sense. One question though: Why does a headphone speaker need a ground cable? Is it for isolation? reducing the hiss (from whatever source)? 

A headphone speaker does not need a ground cable.

A headphone speaker must have two cables and a varying potential difference must appear between those two cables for sound to be produced but neither cable need be grounded.

In a balanced setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other cable would carry an inverted copy. Neither would be grounded. It is normal to use a two core cable with a separate shield and ground the shield so as to drain away any received EMI or RFI and prevent it from polluting the audio signals.

In a single ended setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other would be grounded.

Nov 27, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #807 of 3,924
I received my balanced cable yesterday as well, and what should I say? Yes, it works. It does seem to offer a bit more bass and treble seems a bit more energetic -- definitely more difference than expected, but hard to nail down since there's a difference in volume I can't reliably correct for when switching. The differences seem to persist over volume changes, even deliberately turning it up more than necessary with the single ended cable does not yield the same deep grumbling. I did not notice changes in sound stage, its just more noticable with the more prominent treble when using the balanced cable. I'm not even hearing that slight irritating colouring in the upper mids I mentioned before. Interesting. Have to listen some more, but so far it seems that might just get them from collecting more dust -- which is a good thing as they are really comfortable.

The cable itself feels very good (just as the standard cable), sports a nice black Neutrik XL4 connector and is still a bit too long for my usage (i.e. sitting near the amp).

I used the balanced and single ended connections on my V281 btw.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #808 of 3,924
  I received my balanced cable yesterday as well, and what should I say? Yes, it works. It does seem to offer a bit more bass and treble seems a bit more energetic -- definitely more difference than expected, but hard to nail down since there's a difference in volume I can't reliably correct for when switching. The differences seem to persist over volume changes, even deliberately turning it up more than necessary with the single ended cable does not yield the same deep grumbling. I did not notice changes in sound stage, its just more noticable with the more prominent treble when using the balanced cable. I'm not even hearing that slight irritating colouring in the upper mids I mentioned before. Interesting. Have to listen some more, but so far it seems that might just get them from collecting more dust -- which is a good thing as they are really comfortable.

The cable itself feels very good (just as the standard cable), sports a nice black Neutrik XL4 connector and is still a bit too long for my usage (i.e. sitting near the amp).

I used the balanced and single ended connections on my V281 btw.

The single vs. balanced thing will mostly depend on the headphone amplifier you're using and how it was designed. If it's truly fully balanced, then single-ended was only using 50% of the amp's power...thus the need for balanced. Then there's the headphones to consider too. Highly efficient/low impedance headphones tend to sound pretty much the same (like say Grado's or the D7000s or TH900s). But the HD800s and T1s do benefit from the added power (as do orthos...generally speaking again here).

Nov 28, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #809 of 3,924

A headphone speaker does not need a ground cable.

A headphone speaker must have two cables and a varying potential difference must appear between those two cables for sound to be produced but neither cable need be grounded.

In a balanced setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other cable would carry an inverted copy. Neither would be grounded. It is normal to use a two core cable with a separate shield and ground the shield so as to drain away any received EMI or RFI and prevent it from polluting the audio signals.

In a single ended setup, one cable would carry the audio signal and the other would be grounded.

What @technobear said basically, but generally with headphones that are not balanced there are generally 3 channels: L+, R+, and they both share the same - which is also basically the ground.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #810 of 3,924
Went around playing with some pads. Got myself a couple of dt 990 pads some things i can note
bass- Perhaps needs more time to tell the difference.
mids- Vocals slighty more recessed, hiding behind the bass.
treble - Bright., found them to be fatiguing perhaps.

Just for fun i decided to use the pads of my soundmagic hp 100 which was the worst thing i heard in my life. Balance of the headphone was changed with more focus on the bass.
Bass- Muddy bass
Mids- Hollow
treble- Can't really remember.

For now i think i stick with the t1 2nd gen pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back