New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #721 of 3,924
  So after listening to my review pair of T1 Generation 2 headphones for a month or so and having completed my review (along with the A2...review is due out next month), I ended up buying the review sample of T1s. I guess they passed the "put your $ where your mouth is test". 
smile.gif
  I previously owned the original version (actually I owned the first pair sold in Canada), but ended up selling them off when my SR-009s arrived. But the improvements and refinements of this new version just really put them over the top for me. 

Where is your review posted, I would be interested in your opinion?  I've only had mine a short time, but I already like them very much!

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #723 of 3,924
  So after listening to my review pair of T1 Generation 2 headphones for a month or so and having completed my review (along with the A2...review is due out next month), I ended up buying the review sample of T1s. I guess they passed the "put your $ where your mouth is test". 
smile.gif
  I previously owned the original version (actually I owned the first pair sold in Canada), but ended up selling them off when my SR-009s arrived. But the improvements and refinements of this new version just really put them over the top for me. 

Wow! Seems I cannot wait for my pair. Which should come hopefully before the end of the world. December's too far off. Any particular reason?

Nov 13, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #724 of 3,924
How would you guys compare this new beyer to the moddes hd800? Sorry about this, Im just curious!

- similar bass,
- more spacious and distant midrange on HD800 but with similar construction,
- less sibilant, more cleaner and extended treble in HD800,
- better treble resolution and tone in HD800,
- bigger soundstage in HD800.
After all for me it is still a level below HD800. Original T1 had different presentation and presented their own unique style, which is missing in new T1.2. 

PS. Better cables on T1.2 still makes difference in plus (mostly cleaner treble), although changes are smaller than with for example K812. Beyer used very good stock cable here. But it is always fun to see how often people here can speak with such certainty about various things without even checking them out for themselves.

Nov 13, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #725 of 3,924

- similar bass,
- more spacious and distant midrange on HD800 but with similar construction,
- less sibilant, more cleaner and extended treble in HD800,
- better treble resolution and tone in HD800,
- bigger soundstage in HD800.
After all for me it is still a level below HD800. Original T1 had different presentation and presented their own unique style, which is missing in new T1.2. 

PS. Better cables on T1.2 still makes difference in plus (mostly cleaner treble), although changes are smaller than with for example K812. Beyer used very good stock cable here. But it is always fun to see how often people here can speak with such certainty about various things without even checking them out for themselves.

I think I am 100% positive in saying that the cables had nothing to do with the T1.2 having cleaner treble. It's because Beyer put dampening inside the driver.

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #727 of 3,924
  I think I am 100% positive in saying that the cables had nothing to do with the T1.2 having cleaner treble. It's because Beyer put dampening inside the driver.

And dampering has nothing to do with electric signal transport. I've tested few aftermarket cables on various OCC 7n combinations and most noticeable difference were only with 2,5m 8-string cable. The treble was a tad cleaner as a result, maybe whole sound were slightly more warm tilted. For cable tests I am often inviting my friend for some A-B-X tests if I have any doubts myself. But as I already said, the changes were very small, that additional cables just to push T1s quality up are not nessessary. In my opinion while using the same cable (OCC 7n) on all three Tesla headphones (T1, HD800, K812), the smallest changes were noticed on T1. The biggest on K812. This is showing how good stock cables Beyer put into the package with their flagship and at the same time how poor quality AKGs cable is. FWIW most people have the same opinion about it.

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #729 of 3,924

Hm, that's a bit harsh... To me this is still within the realm of taste. Me, I don't like warm headphones for example... so the Beyer tuning is quite right to me. There are other models of different manufacturers which shall not be named now where I'd say its way off... but still people buy them.

I'm always astounded when I read how people boost bass. Especially with headphones like the M-100 which is already too bass heavy for home listening to me. Still I would not call them hearing impaired (though that may be the end result of such boosting and too high volume, but thats another question).

sometimes i listen to He-400 sometime i like M-100...sometime Momemtum and now T1 2nd...maybe i have variable hearing impaired!!

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #730 of 3,924
And dampering has nothing to do with electric signal transport. I've tested few aftermarket cables on various OCC 7n combinations and most noticeable difference were only with 2,5m 8-string cable. The treble was a tad cleaner as a result, maybe whole sound were slightly more warm tilted. For cable tests I am often inviting my friend for some A-B-X tests if I have any doubts myself. But as I already said, the changes were very small, that additional cables just to push T1s quality up are not nessessary. In my opinion while using the same cable (OCC 7n) on all three Tesla headphones (T1, HD800, K812), the smallest changes were noticed on T1. The biggest on K812. This is showing how good stock cables Beyer put into the package with their flagship and at the same time how poor quality AKGs cable is. FWIW most people have the same opinion about it.
No, but the dampening certainly does affect the acoustics, which would in turn would affect the sound (a lot more than cables would electronically). I'm not sure if you've ever modified headphones, but you should know that dampening can effect the treble just as much as a closed or open housing could effect bass. That black dampening in the center of this driver will play a much bigger impact on the treble than this cable will:

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #731 of 3,924
No, but the dampening certainly does affect the acoustics, which would in turn would affect the sound (a lot more than cables would electronically). I'm not sure if you've ever modified headphones, but you should know that dampening can effect the treble just as much as a closed or open housing could effect bass. That black dampening in the center of this driver will play a much bigger impact on the treble than this cable will:

Yes, but I'm talking about treble purification, not changing frequency response of that region. Black dampering in the center of the driver works as acoustic suppresor, which is helping mostly in reduction of treble amount. Closing it completely will reduce treble even more, but also sense of space and of course "magic" sparkling which these headphones had from the beginning. And I'm not playing in theorycrafting here since I've tested and modded everything myself.

Resolution and quality are affected at the same time in minimal way. If you provide clean and undistorted signal to the driver, you can leave everything in its hands and that is the place where every other aspects of the driver, acoustics and working environment are starting to matter. AKG K812 PRO is a very fine example what good cable can do over poor one and what can't.

Nov 13, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #732 of 3,924
Yes, but I'm talking about treble purification, not changing frequency response of that region. Black dampering in the center of the driver works as acoustic suppresor, which is helping mostly in reduction of treble amount. Closing it completely will reduce treble even more, but also sense of space and of course "magic" sparkling which these headphones had from the beginning. And I'm not playing in theorycrafting here since I've tested and modded everything myself.

Resolution and quality are affected at the same time in minimal way. If you provide clean and undistorted signal to the driver, you can leave everything in its hands and that is the place where every other aspects of the driver, acoustics and working environment are starting to matter. AKG K812 PRO is a very fine example what good cable can do over poor one and what can't.
I'm confused. English is not my first language. What exactly do you mean by purification and clean? What would not purified or clean sound like? Please be as descriptive as possible.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #733 of 3,924
I'm confused. English is not my first language. What exactly do you mean by purification and clean? What would not purified or clean sound like? Please be as descriptive as possible.

I must confess it isn't my first language either, but I'll try to clear things out as much as I can. 

With purification and clean I mean making it more crystal clear and less harsh, rough, unpolished.

Maybe this will be helpful:

Referring to sponges may sound kind of silly at first, but when problems with proper description of what we hear arise, such simple examples can clarify them. You can imagine higher frequency responses as rough and smooth texture of sponge. Tonality is their shape, texture is their quality. With better cables I can hear highs of T1 as more polished with better finish, less grainy. At the same time tonality wasn't changed and peaks were still there, since Beyer is using in their stock cables if I remeber correctly the same copper compound as signal conductor.

Nov 13, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #734 of 3,924

Users who are viewing this thread

Back