New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #3,886 of 3,924
Agree with everything said in posts above.

With all the multi-kilobuck cans that competitors are making nowadays, I wonder if Beyer will be creating some endgame exceeding the T-series both by SQ and money. By comparison, the current Beyer flagships are priced really competitively, almost mid-fi.

Mind you, all those competitors are low-Z as well with but a few exceptions.

As principally high-Z cans will have better control of their voice coils, and so more precise transients, I hope this low-Z fashion will subside at least on the desktop.
Nah.. Sennheiser HD series is 300 Ohms and there are more

Planars are different, not as sensitive to output impedance.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #3,887 of 3,924
True, some of those high-Z Senns get close to 2K$. My point was not to be comprehensive about market offerings, but wonder: would Beyer start offering cans 2K$ and up? The market has changed since years ago when the T1 was launched as flagship.

Do not agree about planars being insensitive to output impedance. Just hook an Audeze up to an OTL…

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #3,888 of 3,924
True, some of those high-Z Senns get close to 2K$. My point was not to be comprehensive about market offerings, but wonder: would Beyer start offering cans 2K$ and up? The market has changed since years ago when the T1 was launched as flagship.

Do not agree about planars being insensitive to output impedance. Just hook an Audeze up to an OTL…

I didn't say insensitive, but not as sensitive. Don't put words in my mouth, please ,)

Yes, I've tried many planars with OTL. It's not great. But with transformer coupled amps, planars can really shine.

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #3,890 of 3,924
I didn't say insensitive, but not as sensitive. Don't put words in my mouth, please ,)
Not intended, sorry.
Yes, I've tried many planars with OTL. It's not great. But with transformer coupled amps, planars can really shine.
Have had SS, OTL, hybrids, but never a SET. How do you think they compare?

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #3,894 of 3,924
I haven't played around much with SETs, so I'm not the right person to give you an answer to that
SETs generally not as tubey sounding as OTL but would not really compare directly to hybrid. Good SET can achieve a much more organic sound. Of course all depends on amp and tubes and how good your power and headphone synergy etc.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #3,895 of 3,924
SETs generally not as tubey sounding as OTL but would not really compare directly to hybrid. Good SET can achieve a much more organic sound. Of course all depends on amp and tubes and how good your power and headphone synergy etc.
One cannot make categorical generalisations of SET sound vs OTL sound. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages. Then there are details …. such as solid-state rectification vs tube rectification within each approach. [Rectification is the conversion of AC to DC.]

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #3,896 of 3,924
It was a stupid move to go for 32 Ohms. The main thing was the high impedance to be combined with tubes. Why stop making it? Sennheiser did the opposite with the 300 Ohms HD660S2, backtracking the lower 150 Ohms (?) impedance HD660S. I mean HD650 and HD600 is still selling
i mean, my first T1 was a Gen3.... very nice, for some reason i wanted a Gen2...found a real nice pair on ebay. i really wanted to know how it sounded... and boy i wasnt disappointed.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #3,898 of 3,924
just picked up a used T1 G2. wow! impressive. and a hell of a bargain at today's prices.
mine wasnt a bargain, but still definately worth it, and in great shape. not made any more, so these will be harder and harder to come by...

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #3,899 of 3,924
Nov 23, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #3,900 of 3,924
Picked up a pair of T1.2 Beyers secondhand. Going to be trying them out of the hi-z output of an old Rudistor RPX-33mk2 amp. Also have a Cavalli EHHA with socketed gain resistors which I may tune for the Beyers. Excited to see how they might fare. I heard the original years ago at a meet, remember being pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back