New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Aug 13, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #3,856 of 3,924
I use both my HD800’s and my T1.2’s (Black SE) with a FiiO R7 (both balanced, via XLR4). Sublime :gs1000smile:

Sep 6, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #3,858 of 3,924
anyone tried the dekoni elite velour pads with the Gen2 ?
Yeah it's what I use mainly now on mine, it changes the sound profile slightly.
More bass and and softer treble, made G2 my electronica headphone. With stock pads is was mostly for jazz and acoustic stuff.

There is more space from the driver and your ear, adds to stage but also takes away some of the resolving character.

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #3,859 of 3,924
I recently replaced the earpads of my T1 Gen2 with those of Gen3, as I was quite curious to know the effect of the absorber disks on the T1 sound. I have always appreciated what these headphones can do in terms of clarity, detail, imaging and soundstage but...you know, treble sharpness. This is apparent - to me, of course - in vocals (sibilance) and percussions (cymbals may sound thin and glaring, while the sound of drums, while having generally a great attack, is often reproduced with coarse and harsh contours), so the risk of listening fatigue has always been concrete with the T1. The absorber disks work just great. They tame efficiently vocal sibilance and make percussions sound more natural and tonally correct by making the cymbals pleasantly sparkling and the drums more realistic with thicker, bigger contours to their sound - as they should be.
Mind you, the overall character of the T1 Gen2 remains, so you will not lose anything of what we usually like about these headphones. So, I think getting a set of T1.3 pads might be a useful suggestion to those who have experienced treble issues with the T1.2.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #3,860 of 3,924
Yeah it's what I use mainly now on mine, it changes the sound profile slightly.
More bass and and softer treble, made G2 my electronica headphone. With stock pads is was mostly for jazz and acoustic stuff.

There is more space from the driver and your ear, adds to stage but also takes away some of the resolving character.

ive now got the dekoni elite velours on both the Gen2 and Gen3 T1. may as well get a pair for the DT 1990 Pros...

definately better than the stock earpads.

Sep 8, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #3,861 of 3,924
• I took delivery a few days ago of a new, unopened set of Beyerdynamic T1 Generation 2 headphones: 600 ohm nominal impedance + detachable cables. After letting them break-in for several hours each day via CD replay at moderate volume, I like what I hear.
• T1G2 offers to me excellent tonal balance with strong, propulsive, well-defined bass, delicate yet clear & assured midrange & treble. T1G2 is moderately warm and is not governed by an upper midrange / lower treble peak. Soundstage is airy, open, wide and has nice ‘layering’ within: always a plus in my listening preferences.
• So far, T1G2 has impressed me with its convincing ability to sound ‘natural’ with an appropriate level of detail retrieval and without etch or glare.
• My next step with T1G2 involves replacing the headphone cables which are OK but too long. In the making is a set of Lavricables Grand Silver of two-meter length and with 150 hours of break-in. My DT880 (600 ohms) benefited mightily from Grand Silvers. I fully expect likewise vis-a-vis T1G2.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #3,862 of 3,924
• I took delivery a few days ago of a new, unopened set of Beyerdynamic T1 Generation 2 headphones: 600 ohm nominal impedance + detachable cables. After letting them break-in for several hours each day via CD replay at moderate volume, I like what I hear.
• T1G2 offers to me excellent tonal balance with strong, propulsive, well-defined bass, delicate yet clear & assured midrange & treble. T1G2 is moderately warm and is not governed by an upper midrange / lower treble peak. Soundstage is airy, open, wide and has nice ‘layering’ within: always a plus in my listening preferences.
• So far, T1G2 has impressed me with its convincing ability to sound ‘natural’ with an appropriate level of detail retrieval and without etch or glare.
• My next step with T1G2 involves replacing the headphone cables which are OK but too long. In the making is a set of Lavricables Grand Silver of two-meter length and with 150 hours of break-in. My Beyer DT880 (600 ohms) benefited mightily with Grand Silvers. I fully expect likewise vis-a-vis T1G2.
The T1.2 is a special headphone and one of my favorite dynamics I've owned, while I personally like the Gen 3 slightly more, I do wish they kept the T1.2 in production alongside the Gen 3 due to the impedance and tuning differences. You can hear the similar dna in both, there is a subtle seductiveness to the sound of the T1's that just grows on you with time.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #3,863 of 3,924
The T1.2 is a special headphone and one of my favorite dynamics I've owned, while I personally like the Gen 3 slightly more, I do wish they kept the T1.2 in production alongside the Gen 3 due to the impedance and tuning differences. You can hear the similar dna in both, there is a subtle seductiveness to the sound of the T1's that just grows on you with time.
To me, the T1 Gen. 3 just sounds tonally right and dynamically superb. I sold the Gen. 2 and haven't regretted it.

Sep 9, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #3,864 of 3,924
To me, the T1 Gen. 3 just sounds tonally right and dynamically superb. I sold the Gen. 2 and haven't regretted it.
I don’t regret letting go of the Gen 2 either as the Gen 3 is an upgrade for me and I think it’s also technically superior despite the lower impedance. Owned both at the same time for a while before making the decision as well. But I do know some will prefer the higher impedance of the Gen 2 for use on OTL’s, etc. and some do prefer it’s tuning. A 600 Ohm version of the Gen 3 may not be a bad idea either as the Gen 2 had a 32 Ohm variant.

I felt the same about the Gen 2 vs the Amiron Home, I thought the Gen 2 was an upgrade over the Amiron. I don’t personally own the Gen 2 or Amiron Home anymore because I found it redundant as I just naturally favored one and ignored the others despite loving all three headphones and all three being a bit different. I wanted to keep the others but I sadly ignored them in favor of my favorite one.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #3,865 of 3,924
I havent sold the T1 Gen2, but if i had to keep only one it would be the T1 Gen3.. due to its ability to be good out of pretty much any source gear

Sep 9, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #3,867 of 3,924
• My next step with T1G2 involves replacing the headphone cables which are OK but too long. In the making is a set of Lavricables Grand Silver of two-meter length and with 150 hours of break-in. My DT880 (600 ohms) benefited mightily from Grand Silvers. I fully expect likewise vis-a-vis T1G2.
I'm a big fan of the T1G2 also. I have the ninja black edition. I haven't listened to them in quite a while. Need to change that soon.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #3,868 of 3,924
Interesting! I like the T1.2 but sometimes the treble is a bit too much for me. Does the T1.3 have less of a treble peak?
It certainly does. And a surprisingly huge (and, to me, right sounding) bottom end. I think @kman1211 mentioned a long time ago that he thought that the T1.3 was the easiest of all headphones to re-adapt to - it just sounds tonally and dynamically natural, despite the frequency response graph looking anything but. IMHO, these really are a triumph.

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #3,869 of 3,924
I'm a big fan of the T1G2 also. I have the ninja black edition. I haven't listened to them in quite a while. Need to change that soon.
Maybe get hold of the T1G3.

Sep 10, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #3,870 of 3,924
Just showing this here, I was never a fan of the Gen 3 when it came. Sounded not natural to me, while perhaps fun it was not my taste.

Different measurement rig, so used HD650 as reference on both.

graph - 2023-09-10T100245.035.png

graph - 2023-09-10T100303.680.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back