New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Nov 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #3,901 of 3,924
Received the Beyers, they sound really good. Great pacing on percussive bits of music, good balance of detail and an easy to listen to presentation.

The cable is equally impressive in how bad it is. I don't know how someone ok'd this cable into production. Has anyone attempted to remove the outer techflex/shield? Suspect that to be the culprit in how stiff it is.

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #3,902 of 3,924
Received the Beyers, they sound really good. Great pacing on percussive bits of music, good balance of detail and an easy to listen to presentation.

The cable is equally impressive in how bad it is. I don't know how someone ok'd this cable into production. Has anyone attempted to remove the outer techflex/shield? Suspect that to be the culprit in how stiff it is.
Nah got a pair of tripowin cables that barley fit so I wasn't tempted to go that route :p

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #3,903 of 3,924

I suggest getting an Apos Flow cable — very flexible and sounds OK. Unless you’re really pushing these cans with high-end gear, it will get the job done.

It’s really hard to find cables that fit into the recessed, slanted plugs on the T1. I had Norne make adapters for my Silvergarde cable but the adapters didn’t fit. If you go the custom route, I recommend sending the headphones to your cable maker unless they have a T1 or T5 on hand.

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #3,904 of 3,924
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #3,905 of 3,924
There's a company out of the UK that seems to make some decent cables for them - https://customcans.co.uk/shop/product-category/home/cables/beyerdynamic-cables/t1-t5p-cables/

I just rather not spend the money if I don't have to. I think I will try to take off the techflex, worst I do is botch the job and can't use the cables for the headphones. Even then can use the stock cable to make some interconnects or whatever.
If worst comes to pass search for hd700 connectors those are extra long and should fit the t1 :wink:

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #3,907 of 3,924
Aren’t those 2.5mm?
Huh your right, got them as 3.5mm but were describeed as hd700 connectors, sorry to cause confusion ( and for me as well XD)

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #3,908 of 3,924
after further listening - the T1s are punchy and alive, but sorta "small" (maybe just their closed back nature?). by themselves, the T1s sound great. in A/Bs with other (more expensive) 'phones, their lack of wide space becomes a negative by comparision. my impressions - YRMV, of course. still - at today's used prices a real contender in the $400 range.

Nov 30, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #3,909 of 3,924
So I took off the techflex from the wire. Underneath it, above the y split is wire, below y split is braided cloth with wire underneath. It's much more flexible now. That said, I'm planning next to remove the cloth braid. Will twist two wires lightly around each other and install a new 1/4 plug, probably shorten the cable a bit. It wasn't difficult. Start with breaking apart the y split plastic piece, I used diagonal wire cutters to do this. There are some thin metal clamps inside of the plastic. The wire at y split was marred a bit, but cosmetic, new y split will cover it. Then I ran some scissors through the techflex to remove it. If you plan to do this and want to keep the cloth braid be careful as it is easily damaged by scissors.

I need to see what is available these days for y split, and get some heat shrink to proceed.

PXL_20231201_021047369.jpg

PXL_20231201_022854475.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #3,911 of 3,924
One of my drivers got disconnected and I lost all left earcup. What's the best way to open up one of these?

After a year with 600 and 6XX I miss em. A 2khz boost is all they need to make me want to listen to music all night.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #3,913 of 3,924
What is current thinking about T1.2s - still well-regarded? I've been getting good results with a Focal Arche but tempted also for a change...
Remains my daily driver and I also have a Utopia 2022. Benefits from a good amp with good synergy.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #3,914 of 3,924
What is current thinking about T1.2s - still well-regarded? I've been getting good results with a Focal Arche but tempted also for a change...
I think it’s the best Beyerdynamic in the line. A shame that the 1.3 version wasn’t an actual improvement and the 1.2 got discontinued. All that being said, I love the 1.2.. does benefit from a good amp, especially otl if you have one. Very engaging sound. I’m one of those ppl that believes good sound is timeless.. 30 years from now, all the goats today will still be relevant in my book unless they find a way to beam the music straight into our brains 😂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back