New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 5, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #3,842 of 3,924
I'm back and here's what I've found.
The 3rd gen headband pad will fit previous generation T1 and T5.
The new ball slider repair kit will fit previous generations also.
The guy at Consolidated is useless when it comes to providing any information on cross compatibility. Told me I'd have to order the complete headband assembly for the pad. Cost? Over $300!
Same with Beyerdynamic. The people that answer the phones aren't much help either.
I was super lucky to obtain the contact info of one of the good guys at Beyerdynamic USA. He helped me order all the parts no problem. He also told me about current parts compatibility with older models.
Let me know if you need his contact info. I didn't feel comfortable just posting it up.
Hope this helps others.

Apr 15, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #3,844 of 3,924
I recently swapped the hifiman he series perforated pads, and drove them by a tube amp powered by GEC 6AS7G equivalent (2x CV 4079) and EF86. I care string / vocal very much and this is the first time I use T1 to achieve this. Yet it still have enough bass and soundstage.

So this old headphone learns some new tricks :)

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #3,846 of 3,924
So little back story, this hobby started for me with the Beyerdynamic T1.2's. I eventually sold it to start dipping my toes in other sounds and flavours and over the years I've seen alot of headphones come and go.

I just purchased a used T1.2 Black edition to see if i remembered what I loved about it, and this headphone is not what I remember about the T1 at all. Does anyone have confirmation that this Black Edition is a re-flavouring? I cant find anything online but to put it perspective, it sounds about the same as my Clear MG's. Not bright at all.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #3,848 of 3,924
So little back story, this hobby started for me with the Beyerdynamic T1.2's. I eventually sold it to start dipping my toes in other sounds and flavours and over the years I've seen alot of headphones come and go.

I just purchased a used T1.2 Black edition to see if i remembered what I loved about it, and this headphone is not what I remember about the T1 at all. Does anyone have confirmation that this Black Edition is a re-flavouring? I cant find anything online but to put it perspective, it sounds about the same as my Clear MG's. Not bright at all.
I had an early T1.2 and it sounded completely different than the T1.2 Black Edition, first one was treble focused with ethereal treble and laser sharp imaging, the Black Edition was like an Amiron Home but warmer and fuller sounding. Honestly the Black Edition felt like a precurser to the T1.3's tuning. Some say the silver and black editions are the same thing, but my personal experience says otherwise. It could be later silver T1.2's sound the same as the black edition so in that sense the same, but compared to the older one I had, completely different headphones. While I like darker/warmer Beyers it doesn't sound like the T1.1 I heard or the first T1.2 I had.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #3,850 of 3,924
I'm a bit late to the party, recently I bought a pair of black edition T1.2 and after some listening and EQ I love them. Fantastic headphones. SN 43xxx. A few weeks later I snatched a mint pair of silver T1.2 on ebay for very little money. SN46xxx. They sound essentially the same but "break in" shows stongly. I have used the black edition pair for 1oo+ hours and the memory foam in the earpads did adjust quite a bit. Soundwise the black edition is a clear step ahead because of the this, better bass, soundstage, resolution of fine detail. It's quite amazing what earpads/ "break in" does. I'd love to see measurements for both situations and it shows that measurements as done these days have to be taken with a grain of salt.

These headphones are quite a steal on the used marked if you don't mind some sparkle in the treble. And it's pleasant treble in my book, slightly clearer then Amiron Home.

Aug 9, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #3,851 of 3,924
I'm a bit late to the party, recently I bought a pair of black edition T1.2 and after some listening and EQ I love them. Fantastic headphones. SN 43xxx. A few weeks later I snatched a mint pair of silver T1.2 on ebay for very little money. SN46xxx. They sound essentially the same but "break in" shows stongly. I have used the black edition pair for 1oo+ hours and the memory foam in the earpads did adjust quite a bit. Soundwise the black edition is a clear step ahead because of the this, better bass, soundstage, resolution of fine detail. It's quite amazing what earpads/ "break in" does. I'd love to see measurements for both situations and it shows that measurements as done these days have to be taken with a grain of salt.

These headphones are quite a steal on the used marked if you don't mind some sparkle in the treble. And it's pleasant treble in my book, slightly clearer then Amiron Home.
Just a comment. I have never found the T1 to have any sparkle… I found them warmly natural sounding. Perhaps the sparkle is coming from your electronics. Just a thought.

Aug 10, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #3,852 of 3,924
Just a comment. I have never found the T1 to have any sparkle… I found them warmly natural sounding. Perhaps the sparkle is coming from your electronics. Just a thought.

I find the warm and natural sounding, too. But it's a different kind of midrange/treble than HD650. I'm using an RME ADI 2 DAC which is clean and smooth sounding. Can't complain about it.

What do you think about the T1.2.compared to the HD800/Utopia?

Aug 12, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #3,853 of 3,924
Chiming in here. I have had the T1.1 and T1.2 and found both to be fatiguing even though I adored the sound. It was best, and least fatiguing with the Woo WA2 or Beyerdynamic A1, and superb with Sennheiser HDVD800 - all high impedance amps.

The HD800 fatigue me as well, but the SDR resonator solved it. Utopia doesn't fatigue me.

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #3,854 of 3,924
Chiming in here. I have had the T1.1 and T1.2 and found both to be fatiguing even though I adored the sound. It was best, and least fatiguing with the Woo WA2 or Beyerdynamic A1, and superb with Sennheiser HDVD800 - all high impedance amps.

The HD800 fatigue me as well, but the SDR resonator solved it. Utopia doesn't fatigue me.
With the right tubes in the WA2 I was able to mitigate any fatigue from the T1.2. My set up right now is GEC 6080s, GEC A2900s and RFT EZ80s. Can listen for hours, but if I use 5998s it can get to be too much sometimes.

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #3,855 of 3,924
With the right tubes in the WA2 I was able to mitigate any fatigue from the T1.2. My set up right now is GEC 6080s, GEC A2900s and RFT EZ80s. Can listen for hours, but if I use 5998s it can get to be too much sometimes.
I hear you. I used the 5998 most of the time.. I found the T1 to sound great from the Cary SLI-80 too. But the Sennheiser HDVD800 was really great. Better with the T1 than with the HD800 😆😆

Users who are viewing this thread

Back