New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Oct 7, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,341 of 3,924
Agreed. I have both. For me the HD800 is more exciting with Electronic music yet the T1.2 is much nicer with Classical because of the Treble response. At the end of the day it's all down to personal taste and I definitely recommend spending some time listening before buying any headphone.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #2,342 of 3,924
Any comparison between t1 2nd gen and elear? I am looking for a headphone that can complement elear sound, with little bit more detail without sounding cold and harsh.

Definitely not the T1.2 then. HD800S is a better bet.

The hd800s will probably be the best bet. I am not saying the T1v2 is cold and harsh though... The original T1 when played out of a Aurlic Taurus MKII is super transparent to the point of "sterile" sounding to me. The T1v2 adds enough warm to that to make it a great mix for me to enjoy. I don't know if it is still enough for you.

T1.2 and HD800 have a different treble response.
HD800 has more presence in the 6kHz region while T1.2 has more presence near the 8kHz region.
Depending on your sensitivity and your recordings one might be perceived brighter that the other (or vice versa)

T1.2 is significantly warmer than HD800 in the lower midrange and bass.

I have the T1.2 and Elear, so I can compare those two. I have never listened to the HD800s, but am curious how it stacks up against the two.

I love the upper and mid ends of the T1.2. Beautiful and very resolving, fast. However, I am missing low end extension a bit and pure quantity of bass a lot. I would not consider myself a basshead and I am even very sensible to too much mid bass (that's why I might sell my T5p.2), but the T1.2 IMO needs just a bit more beef in the low end, then it would be my end game.

The Elear however, has lots of bass, very controlled, no annoying mid bass hump, and real, almost physical slam. But IMO it has a slightly darker signature, a bit of recessed mids and definitely not the sparkling heights of the T1.2.

Combining slamming low end extension with great treble seems to be an unresolved problem in the industry, it seems you can't have both. Even an Utopia needs more low end according to many. I had the Z1R, great bass, but too veiled, so I sold it.

Maybe the new Clear will come closer to my preferences, can't wait to test it.

So how about the HD800s? Many say the T1.2 is warmer and has more bass. Given that personally, I think it lacks a bit of bass, then if it's true, the HD800s will definitely not my cup of tea. Anyone, who can compare all three?

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #2,343 of 3,924
I have the T1.2 and Elear, so I can compare those two. I have never listened to the HD800s, but am curious how it stacks up against the two.

I love the upper and mid ends of the T1.2. Beautiful and very resolving, fast. However, I am missing low end extension a bit and pure quantity of bass a lot. I would not consider myself a basshead and I am even very sensible to too much mid bass (that's why I might sell my T5p.2), but the T1.2 IMO needs just a bit more beef in the low end, then it would be my end game.

The Elear however, has lots of bass, very controlled, no annoying mid bass hump, and real, almost physical slam. But IMO it has a slightly darker signature, a bit of recessed mids and definitely not the sparkling heights of the T1.2.

Combining slamming low end extension with great treble seems to be an unresolved problem in the industry, it seems you can't have both. Even an Utopia needs more low end according to many. I had the Z1R, great bass, but too veiled, so I sold it.

Maybe the new Clear will come closer to my preferences, can't wait to test it.

So how about the HD800s? Many say the T1.2 is warmer and has more bass. Given that personally, I think it lacks a bit of bass, then if it's true, the HD800s will definitely not my cup of tea. Anyone, who can compare all three?

Have you looked into DT1990? If not then Do so, but remember it has two earpads that change the sound signature.

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #2,344 of 3,924
Quote:

They have a very simple, but reliable locking-mechanism:
There is a small rim at the connection plugs on the headphone side and the sockets have a kind-of-rubber part, where this rim clicks in. It's not truly a locking mechanism in the very proper sense, but gives the cables a firm connection and a defined pull-off force not only determined by the connector components alone.
I'm not sure about this. From what I've seen on videos and current 2nd gen owners, the cable connectors can be pulled straight out with little effort. No simple locking mechanism is a huge design flaw and defeats the purpose of having detachable cables in the first place. I bet the connector will get loose before the originally stock cable on the 1st gen will have issues and needs to be sent off and recabled by Beyerdynamic technicians. Eventually, the connect is going to get loose and easily fall out just like with 3.5mm audio jacks on old electronic devices except at an even faster rate since the cable is constantly pulled down by gravity. Even $100 Ultrasone utilizes a locking system. The fact the headband is no longer made from leather by pleather is another negative.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #2,345 of 3,924
I'm not sure about this. From what I've seen on videos and current 2nd gen owners, the cable connectors can be pulled straight out with little effort. No simple locking mechanism is a huge design flaw and defeats the purpose of having detachable cables in the first place. I bet the connector will get loose before the originally stock cable on the 1st gen will have issues and needs to be sent off and recabled by Beyerdynamic technicians. Eventually, the connect is going to get loose and easily fall out just like with 3.5mm audio jacks on old electronic devices except at an even faster rate since the cable is constantly pulled down by gravity. Even $100 Ultrasone utilizes a locking system. The fact the headband is no longer made from leather by pleather is another negative.

The cables lock smoothly and stays there as they should, can't find a huge design flaw there really.
Gravity plays little to no role at all here since the cable is light relative to the locking strenght.
On top of that people won't be plugging and unplugging the cables everyday. Happy T1.1 owners might never unplug them for instance.

With regards to the headband, it's quality pleather and looks more homogeneouos/tighter than the leather on the T1.1
I have both headphones, if I had to pick one headband I would pick the one on the T1.2 by a small margin. Both are very nice.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #2,346 of 3,924
The cables lock smoothly and stays there as they should, can't find a huge design flaw there really.
Gravity plays little to no role at all here since the cable is light relative to the locking strenght.
On top of that people won't be plugging and unplugging the cables everyday. Happy T1.1 owners might never unplug them for instance.

With regards to the headband, it's quality pleather and looks more homogeneouos/tighter than the leather on the T1.1
I have both headphones, if I had to pick one headband I would pick the one on the T1.2 by a small margin. Both are very nice.

How do they lock though?

Nov 5, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,347 of 3,924
How do they lock though?
It's pretty much like plugging and unplugging a 3.5mm jack into a headphone amp but instead of a hard click you get a much smoother / rubber-like version of a click.
The connectors work quite firmly so you need a moderate force to pull them out again.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #2,348 of 3,924
It's true there is no "locking" mechanisms per se and it does it by friction, but the friction is strong enough that there should be no concern. You can't just dislodge the headphone side cable with enough force to not also pull the headphones right off your head. So in other words I would not worry about it. I own both the T1.2 and T5p.2 and they use the same friction mechanism, in both cases I would not worry about this design and don't think it is a weakness.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #2,350 of 3,924
Do you think 690usd for a 2nd gen mint (3 months old) is a good deal?

If you enjoy what it does...

It's a great headphone, but preferences are key when it comes to picking the right one for you.
Price means nothing. You might like it more than a 4000usd headphone or less than a 200usd one.

Nov 9, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #2,351 of 3,924
Hey guys
I'm really enjoying my T1.2 (32 ohms version) except I find it a little too bright/sibilant for my ears when using it with Chord Mojo. Can you guys recommend me a DAP with sort of a relaxed/laid back/warm/dark sound signature to compensate for this? my budget is somewhere between 800~1000$. There are plenty of DAPs in this price range like AK300, Plenue M2/PR, Sony ZX300
unfortunately there is no dealer to audition the DAPs in my country.
thanks

Nov 9, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #2,352 of 3,924
The T1.2 is 600 ohm, so do you mean the AKT1, which is based on the 1st generation? The T1s are on the bright side. I don't really believe that changing source grear really fundamentally changes the character of headphones. How about using parametric EQ to tone down the treble? It'll be much cheaper and will have a bigger impact than changing source gear. If you're using UAPP it has a good parametric EQ which only costs a few $/£/€.

Nov 10, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #2,353 of 3,924
The T1.2 is 600 ohm, so do you mean the AKT1, which is based on the 1st generation? The T1s are on the bright side. I don't really believe that changing source grear really fundamentally changes the character of headphones. How about using parametric EQ to tone down the treble? It'll be much cheaper and will have a bigger impact than changing source gear. If you're using UAPP it has a good parametric EQ which only costs a few $/£/€.
Actually the AK T1p is based on the 2nd generation T1. (I've confirmed with both AK and Beyerdynamic). (although AK T5p is based on first gen T5p).

The treble is not that harsh to my ears I just don't want to get a bright sounding DAP. I heard that AK300 has a laid back and smooth sound but the EQ on AK players are not the best. the other options are Sony's ZX300/WM1A and Cowon's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back