New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Feb 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #2,372 of 3,924
I am rediscovering these cans all over again, after a very long lay off. Silky smooth presentation, comfort beyond reproach. Glad I picked them up again.
They’re real keepers. I use quite a few different cans at home, and always seem to gravitate to these first.
I can understand that on first impressions, a lot of people are quite unimpressed, but on prolonged listening these cans really sing. Sublime.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,375 of 3,924
After I picked up the Focal Elear right after their release and then the MDR-Z1R, the T1s have sat idle for a long time till today. The Elears can be a bit shouty and fatigueing at times. The Z1R, I feel are limited to certain genres and lack some upper air. All minor quibbles. The T1s may not be as dynamic as my other 2 cans, but their ability to play all genres smoothly w/hours of pleasure is quite a feat. I had considered selling them at one point. No way now. Today I fully realized their true value to me.

Feb 12, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #2,376 of 3,924
Phew, I thought this thread was dead. Have the 1st gen but the voice coils snapped off from the solder. Saw the 2nd gen on sale and thought I'd try them out. Although I've only heard a few headphones, I like these for all around and for gaming. Should get them on Friday.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #2,377 of 3,924
I have a friend that put a hole in his T1's driver element. He sent them back to Beyer for repair. They told him they have no T1 drivers but have T1, 2nd gen drivers and would he mind if they used these and said these were a direct replacement!!!

You might want to ask or be surprised!
Alex

Feb 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #2,378 of 3,924
I got T51i a year ago, love it very much, then upgraded to T90 and love it even more, finally got T1 2nd gen in Black friday deal, no regret, T1 2nd is super. Now I keep all three. When I have mood and want to rock, I go to T90. When I working in late night, I go to T1, it is super smooth.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #2,379 of 3,924
I have always been a fan of the T1, both the 1st and 2nd Gen :D

Such brilliant headphones, and incredibly comfortable. The midrange is pinpoint accurate, the lows are well placed but not emphasized, and the highs are where they should be, nice and present with excellent air and extension but without being bright or harsh (unless the recording is bad). They are resolving and have a more accurate soundstage rather than trying to be super wide.

IMG_20180212_161559-01.jpeg

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2,380 of 3,924
I hae run mine with a wide variety of dacs and amps...the BH Crack with Speedball is indeed wonderful. Very holographic or three dimensional soundstage.
I have ordered a BH Mainline recently to see how they will be with a non OTL amp..

The T90's are indeed very accurate and unforgiving but I like this alot...the T1's are just all around smoother and a bit more soft or musical maybe its the
quietness of the playback I experience...music is like coming out via a soft curtain vs the T90s in your face...not that extreme but its a hard one
to describe...has to be experienced side by side, both are keepers.

Just replaced the pads on the 3yr old T90s and its like they are new again!
Alex

Feb 12, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #2,381 of 3,924
Well said Alex, you described exactly how I feel between T90 vs T1. When I first listened to T1, I felt T90 was better, but after few months, I realised they are different approach to music, T1 indeed is better and smoother but lack the feeling of in your face as T90.:L3000:

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #2,382 of 3,924
I have a friend that put a hole in his T1's driver element. He sent them back to Beyer for repair. They told him they have no T1 drivers but have T1, 2nd gen drivers and would he mind if they used these and said these were a direct replacement!!!

You might want to ask or be surprised!
Alex

Well my T1.1 is old and bought here second, third or fourth hand! I hear Beyer charges a lot to repair. They sell the drivers on their site but it doesn't specify if it's 1st or 2nd gen. It's just under T1 and they're $250 for the pair. Then I saw the special edition black version on sale and bought it. That Elex looks tempting too though.

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #2,383 of 3,924
Well said Alex, you described exactly how I feel between T90 vs T1. When I first listened to T1, I felt T90 was better, but after few months, I realised they are different approach to music, T1 indeed is better and smoother but lack the feeling of in your face as T90.:L3000:
I used to own the T90, but never really 'got on' with them? I thought the upper-registers/treble was piercing and too pronounced. They didn't last too long with me.
Mind you, saying that, the T1 is also an acquired-taste. But one that I now love :)

Feb 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #2,384 of 3,924
Jay, I felt that way as well....thought the T90s were actually better, more clear, crisp etc...the T1's are more darker, quieter etc...but then there magic starts an d u appreciate what they can do and its a win win..

I am glad I kept the T90's....with my equipment the highs and treble are very tolerable to me and when I listen to a real life band, its amazing on how crisp, bright...even harsh live instruments can be...an in your face experience..and the T90's allow that to come thru very much....that said I can understand on how people woud prefer a more civil presentation or tone of those upper registers.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back