New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #2,401 of 3,924
Both Tesla T1s are similar in the big scheme of things, although you might find some differences.
T1 (1st Generation) is a bit softer in the bass, more expansive and just a tad more forward in the upper midrange.
T1 (2nd Generation) is punchier in the bass and a little bit more energetic in the treble. More compact, focused and lively by comparison.

- Luxury box on T1 (1st Generation) vs Very nice carrying case on T1 (2nd Generation)
- Improved locking mechanism on T1 (2nd Generation) with stiffer clicks
- High quality cable and plug, but also big and heavy on the T1 (1st Generation) vs High quality, more friendly cable and plug on T1 (2nd Generation)
- Leather headband on T1 (1st Generation) vs Top quality pleather headband on T1 (2nd Generation)
- Soft foam earpads on T1 (1st Generation) vs Memory foam earpads on T1 (2nd Generation)

Thank you for fast reply. I see you have both. Which do you prefer and why?

Would you say that one has more shrill / difficult / aggressive HF then the other?

Which would be better for some one who likes in sound qualities in order: holography -> sound stage size -> even spectrum (do not like boosted bas) -> details as much as possible without hindering previous points and of course musicality

The genres I listen and love the most is Jazz, acoustic / spacious quality electronic -> everything else if good quality (other then Metal and traditional rock)

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,402 of 3,924
Putting the T1 G2 pads on the T1 G1 and you will get the best sound sigatures of both models: tighter and punchy bass of the T1 G2 and more linear treble of the T1 G1. This is at least true for my 16xxx serial T1 G1.

I think every T1 G1 user will end up getting this sound signature sooner or later as the T1 G1 pads are hardly available anymore.

Thank you that is very helpful.

So do you mean that T1 v2 has rolled off HF or that it is more aggressive in this part of spectrum?

Mar 9, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #2,403 of 3,924
Just ordered it from buydig at $700. Would an R2R 11 be a sufficent amp for this?

Could you please post a link - when I have checked few hours ago it was 999 USD?

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #2,406 of 3,924
Mar 9, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #2,408 of 3,924
So do you mean that T1 v2 has rolled off HF or that it is more aggressive in this part of spectrum?

The T1 G2 has lower treble peak comparing to the early serial T1 G1 but with more uneven FR in the same treble region. Thus it depends on one's hearing whether it is the G1 or G2 which is brighter. It was also known that the later T1 G1 has less treble compareing to the earlier production.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #2,409 of 3,924
Thank you for fast reply. I see you have both. Which do you prefer and why?

Too close to call. Mood can play a role since the T1 (1st Generation) is more relaxed with softer attack both in the bass and the treble, and it's more vocal oriented.

Would you say that one has more shrill / difficult / aggressive HF then the other?

T1 (2nd Generation) by a relatively small margin.

Which would be better for some one who likes in sound qualities in order: holography -> sound stage size -> even spectrum (do not like boosted bas) -> details as much as possible without hindering previous points and of course musicality

The genres I listen and love the most is Jazz, acoustic / spacious quality electronic -> everything else if good quality (other then Metal and traditional rock)

Holography/imaging goes for the T1 (2nd Generation) by a small margin, extremely sharp imaging here.
T1 (1st Generation) gets you 90% of that which is really great anyway. Everything is so perfectly placed listening to the T1 (1st Generation) that one can think T1 (2nd Generation) won't be able to do better, but it does. I'm pretty sure the sharper attack on T1 (2nd Generation) is at least partially resposible for this small difference which leads to the impression of having a blacker background on certain passages.

Soundstage Size goes for the T1 (1st Generation).
Both can provide a big and layered soundstage, but T1 (1st Generation) breathes more, it has a more ethereal sound and projects bigger vocals.

Even spectrum, I would say the T1 (1st Generation) have a slight margin here. It's flatter overall, but keep in mind these are both neutralish heapdhones in the big scheme of things. For reference, both versions of the T1 are less bassy / less full sounding than the AKG K712 Pro which is less bassy / less full sounding than HD650 which is not particularly known for being bass heavy. The difference here is small but the difference in overall character is more evident with T1 (1st Generation) being more midcentric and relaxed and T1 (2nd Generation) being punchier and more energetic.

I think the T1 (2nd Generation) digs deeper into what's known as the Beyerdynamic house sound. While T1 (1st Generation) has kind of a beyerized and refined AKG K7-series tuning. I'm zooming the differences a bit to make this more useful, don't forget these are similar in the big scheme of things. They are closer to each other than they are to other headphones.

Both T1s shine with quality recordings and both can be unforgiving with less than ideal ones. The genres/music you've listed are a fine match for these two headphones. No preference here, just slightly different character.

Regards,
Me x3

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #2,410 of 3,924
Too close to call. Mood can play a role since the T1 (1st Generation) is more relaxed with softer attack both in the bass and the treble, and it's more vocal oriented.

T1 (2nd Generation) by a relatively small margin.

Holography/imaging goes for the T1 (2nd Generation) by a small margin, extremely sharp imaging here.
T1 (1st Generation) gets you 90% of that which is really great anyway. Everything is so perfectly placed listening to the T1 (1st Generation) that one can think T1 (2nd Generation) won't be able to do better, but it does. I'm pretty sure the sharper attack on T1 (2nd Generation) is at least partially resposible for this small difference which leads to the impression of having a blacker background on certain passages.

Soundstage Size goes for the T1 (1st Generation).
Both can provide a big and layered soundstage, but T1 (1st Generation) breathes more, it has a more ethereal sound and projects bigger vocals.

Even spectrum, I would say the T1 (1st Generation) have a slight margin here. It's flatter overall, but keep in mind these are both neutralish heapdhones in the big scheme of things. For reference, both versions of the T1 are less bassy / less full sounding than the AKG K712 Pro which is less bassy / less full sounding than HD650 which is not particularly known for being bass heavy. The difference here is small but the difference in overall character is more evident with T1 (1st Generation) being more midcentric and relaxed and T1 (2nd Generation) being punchier and more energetic.

I think the T1 (2nd Generation) digs deeper into what's known as the Beyerdynamic house sound. While T1 (1st Generation) has kind of a beyerized and refined AKG K7-series tuning. I'm zooming the differences a bit to make this more useful, don't forget these are similar in the big scheme of things. They are closer to each other than they are to other headphones.

Both T1s shine with quality recordings and both can be unforgiving with less than ideal ones. The genres/music you've listed are a fine match for these two headphones. No preference here, just slightly different character.

Regards,
Me x3

That is very interesting.

It sounds like I might prefer V1 to V2 by the differences you are describing. I am very sensitive to HF so I am not sure if I will be able to live with either of them but one peak sounds more manageable then a bit messy HF all together (in V2).

It is also interesting as the (pro) reviews i have read claim V2 is more musical, more analogue at expense of ultimate resolution, speed and attack which V1 has also that V2 has slightly less prominent HF and that those are less bright in HF. Also that there is slightly more body to V2 shifting them more towards rest of HPs on the market from more studio oriented V1 :D Go figure. But I trust more your opinion as you have both and I imagine extensive time with them both.

Should I get V1 also then to decide for myself :D... I shell resist. I am already getting Final Audio ones and V2s to compare...

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #2,411 of 3,924
That is very interesting.

It sounds like I might prefer V1 to V2 by the differences you are describing. I am very sensitive to HF so I am not sure if I will be able to live with either of them but one peak sounds more manageable then a bit messy HF all together (in V2).

It is also interesting as the (pro) reviews i have read claim V2 is more musical, more analogue at expense of ultimate resolution, speed and attack which V1 has also that V2 has slightly less prominent HF and that those are less bright in HF. Also that there is slightly more body to V2 shifting them more towards rest of HPs on the market from more studio oriented V1 :D Go figure. But I trust more your opinion as you have both and I imagine extensive time with them both.

Should I get V1 also then to decide for myself :D... I shell resist. I am already getting Final Audio ones and V2s to compare...

Yes, it's often hard to find spot on reviews on the net. Many well known reviewers are often misguided by manufacturer claims and his own biases, you know... There's nothing like buying the headphone and spending months with it. Sometimes, even the first week doesn't reflect well our long term experience with the product. That's why I like to take a good time before rushing into judging new headphones. What you write here, stays here for years, so it's wise to write things you won't regret later. That's my goal.

It can take serious time, that's granted.

Feel free to take a look at the frequency response of my Tesla T1.1 and Tesla T1.2
Purple trace is T1 (2nd Generation) - Green trace is T1 (1st Generation)
T1s.png

Keep in mind this frequency response plot:
1- Can't be compared with any other frequency response measurements out there.
2- Can only be interpreted in relative terms (T1.1 vs T1.2). It can't be used in absolute terms.

It can be seen on the plot (1kHz matching) that:
- T1.1 has less of a warm tilt, although both are warm and extended
- T1.1 has just a tad more presence in the upper midrange (1.5kHz to 3.5kHz)
- T1.1 has a slightly softer treble response, the upper treble on T1.2 raises earlier and higher.
- T1.2 is just a tad more u-shaped overall with more presence in the lower midrange/upper bass, softer upper midrange and higher treble.

Keep in mind frequency response graphs don't tell the whole story, so the perceived sound of these headphones do differ a bit more than what the plot might suggest. That's why the impressions on my previous post can probably give a better idea of how this two compare when listened side by side using quality recordings.

Regards,
Me x3

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #2,412 of 3,924
Just ordered it from buydig at $700. Would an R2R 11 be a sufficent amp for this?
I have the T1.1 and an R2R 11 and it is magical I have always EQ'd the bass somewhat with the T1.1, I still do now with the R2R11 yet at a less db they have more impact and a layered quality as do all the frequencies.

The frequencies sound like they are all separated in the mix nothing is smeared, sounding as if I have a sub, a mid and a high speaker array in my T.1.1.

I am sure you will be very happy with that combo :)

Mar 10, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #2,413 of 3,924
The R2R 11 is rated at 150mW/600 ohm from their site....would think this would do just fine...

I use a Bottlehead Crack w/ speedball, Bottlehead Mainline and a Schitt Vahalla 2.
The Crack is about 64mw at 600 ohms and plays wondefully.
The Vahalla2 has much higher power avail and plays very well...

The R2R has more than enough power to play the T1's louder than your ears can tolerate.

Alex

Mar 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #2,414 of 3,924
I've been tempted many times to buy the T1.2 but various reviews and frequency response charts scare me off - yet they do have their fans.

My current phones of choice:
Sennheiser HD800S, HD650/600/580
Focal Elear
Beyerdynamic Amiron, DT880 250 Ohm (occasionally)

With this taste in headphones do you think I'd enjoy the T1.2, and are they different enough to warrant owning them?

I tend to me somewhat sensitive to treble, yet I'm ok with the DT880.

Mar 11, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #2,415 of 3,924
I've been tempted many times to buy the T1.2 but various reviews and frequency response charts scare me off - yet they do have their fans.

My current phones of choice:
Sennheiser HD800S, HD650/600/580
Focal Elear
Beyerdynamic Amiron, DT880 250 Ohm (occasionally)

With this taste in headphones do you think I'd enjoy the T1.2, and are they different enough to warrant owning them?

I tend to me somewhat sensitive to treble, yet I'm ok with the DT880.

T1.2 is along the lines of HD800S in the big scheme of things, similarly resolving and incissive / detail oriented.
Main difference is the more compact and cohessive sound along with a slightly fuller tonality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back