New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #2,431 of 3,924
I think personal preferences play the bigger role at some point. Personal preferences and recording matching are very important once you've reached a high quality setup. That's why many people keeps using HD650 when they can afford pricier headphones, why some people prefer Elear/Clear over Utopia, why many people sold HD800 and went back to K701/2... Price means very little in this game.

I use my T1s more than my other headphones. For me, it's their combination of form factor and sound signature.
They aren't huge and they sit quite safely on the head. Clamping force is pretty much spot on.

When it comes to how they sound...
- Warm but not bassy
- Open and layered soundstage that's not distant
- Very detailed yet not clinical
- Trebly but not steely sounding

It's easy for me to connect with the music using the T1s, not always the case with the more analytical K812 or HD800S.
Sure, they are not as effortless and ethereal as K812 and can't match HD800S soundstage size and ultimate control, but they pack a great set of attributes that make me pick them more often. In some way, I need to be on a K812 or HD800S mood to fully enjoy them, while I can always pick a T1 and enjoy.

I think high quality audio is full of trade offs, what's great for recording A, might not be that great for recording B. What's great for low volume listening, might not be that great for loud levels. Headphone hierarchy is typically overstated.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #2,432 of 3,924
I think personal preferences play the bigger role at some point. Personal preferences and recording matching are very important once you've reached a high quality setup.
That's why many people keeps using HD650 when they can afford pricier headphones, why some people prefer Elear/Clear over Utopia, why many people sold HD800 and went back to K701/2...
Price means very little in this game.

I use my T1s more than my other headphones. For me, it's their combination of form factor and sound signature.
They aren't huge and they sit quite safely on the head. Clamping force is pretty much spot on.

When it comes to how they sound...
- Warm but not bassy
- Open and layered soundstage that's not distant
- Very detailed yet not clinical
- Trebly but not steely sounding

It's easy for me to connect with the music using the T1s, not always the case with the more analytical K812 or HD800S.
Sure, they are not as effortless and ethereal as K812 and can't match HD800S soundstage size and ultimate control, but they pack a great set of attributes that make me pick them more often.
In some way, I need to be on a K812 or HD800S mood to fully enjoy them, while I can always pick a T1 and enjoy.

I think high quality audio is full of trade offs, what's great for recording A, might not be that great for recording B. What's great for low volume listening, might not be that great for loud levels.
Headphone hierarchy is typically overstated.
Well said and that’s part of the reason why I have so many different headphones. Another reason is I don’t have any HiFi shops around me to demo them. So I purchase them blindly with hopes that they have the sound signature I’m looking for. Now that I’m privileged enough to have some of the TOTL headphones I’m not quite sure there’s such a thing as “end game”. What I can say is when you have summit-fi gear at some point you have to be happy with the gear you have because diminishing returns is a real thing. At this level you’re only going get products that may do one thing a little bit better than what you already have. Is that one thing better than the the sum of the whole or hundreds to thousands dollars more? That’s up to the buyer. All I know is this hobby is addicting. :dt880smile:

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,433 of 3,924
For me T1 are the perfect expression of intensity. If you need fast intense music like rock or metal they will provide you the best answer. But there is a big difference based on amplification. I use them on a tube amp and they shine, but I tried them on my SS amps and they are much worse.
So I would not listen to T1 on a solid state amp. The HD800S are perfect for classical music.

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #2,434 of 3,924
Hmm... the T1 seems to me to be really a great all-rounder.

What amps guys do you use and like with T1.2?

I can obviously see those which are mentioned in signatures but if you have more recommendations or yours is not listed I am looking forward to reading about them.

Currently pairing mine with Gustard H10 with Burson OP amps but I heard too many times they really start to sing with Valves.

Cheers

Mar 20, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,435 of 3,924

I can obviously see those which are mentioned in signatures but if you have more recommendations or yours is not listed I am looking forward to reading about them.

Currently pairing mine with Gustard H10 with Burson OP amps but I heard too many times they really start to sing with Valves.

Cheers

They really do sing with Valves, Feliks Audio Espressivo MKII (pictured), or Elise if you have the cash :D

IMG_20180212_161559-01.jpeg

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #2,437 of 3,924
Coming there a T1.2 follower = T1.3 anytime soon? There are any rumors?

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #2,438 of 3,924
Thank you for the suggestions so far guys. Keep it coming.

On the side note. Did anybody hear T1.2 with La Figaro 339?

Thanks

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #2,440 of 3,924
It took about 6 years to revamp the original T1, so I wouldn't expect a T1 3rd gen just yet. T1 2nd gen has only been out for about 3 years.

Also I would be surprised if they would release another revision at all.

They would be much better off releasing new flagship (from business point of view).

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #2,442 of 3,924
Many bring new headphones very often these days and that gets them more press.
More often than not, smaller brands make changes faster than the bigger names, for good or bad.

Take Sennheiser with their HD800, they took 6 years to release the improved HD800S.
But then no one discarded the silver HD800. Sennheiser supported their creation, instead of replacing it in 2010 after 20 people said it was too bright.
Now both HD800 and HD800S are highly regarded, and that plays a role. Similarly you can safely buy HD800S knowing there won't be an HD801S tomorrow.

It's the same for Beyer and AKG, they take their time to bring something new, but when they do, they support their creation for many years and that gives them a reputation.
Take HD600, K702 and DT880 for that matter. Those won't get any new press, but they can match todays offerings in their price range despite being around for many years.

There's always a trade off and newer is not always better.
Owning T1.1 and T1.2 side by side, it's really hard for me to pick a clear winner, depending on how you weight their attributes you can safely say that one is better than the other, or the other way around.

Mar 20, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #2,443 of 3,924

Cheers

I purchased my T1.2s to go with a new Woo Audio WA2 (and upgraded tubes). I did this based on reports that the T1s worked well with that amp. I have been very impressed, although I have not compared other combinations.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #2,444 of 3,924
Many bring new headphones very often these days and that gets them more press.
More often than not, smaller brands make changes faster than the bigger names, for good or bad.

Take Sennheiser with their HD800, they took 6 years to release the improved HD800S.
But then no one discarded the silver HD800. Sennheiser supported their creation, instead of replacing it in 2010 after 20 people said it was too bright.
Now both HD800 and HD800S are highly regarded, and that plays a role. Similarly you can safely buy HD800S knowing there won't be an HD801S tomorrow.

It's the same for Beyer and AKG, they take their time to bring something new, but when they do, they support their creation for many years and that gives them a reputation.
Take HD600, K702 and DT880 for that matter. Those won't get any new press, but they can match todays offerings in their price range despite being around for many years.

There's always a trade off and newer is not always better.
Owning T1.1 and T1.2 side by side, it's really hard for me to pick a clear winner,
depending on how you weight their attributes you can safely say that one is better than the other, or the other way around.

As many have already said, a lot also depends on the amp/rest of the setup. I personally have found the T1 gen 1 to perform excellently, with first the OTL LittleDot MKIV SE(special tubes); then Feliks-Audio OTL Elise, and now their Euforia (again special tubes).

But the biggest leap from these T1s came when I first replaced the relatively lowly stock cable with my own, made from 2x different gauges of Neotech solid silver UP-OCC wire, plus one of solid copper (the gen 1s normally fixed/unreplaceable) - also their DIY UP-OCC silver interconnects. The difference was remarkable, and for me, no need whatsoever to go for gen 2!

The icing on the cake was to remove most sockets/plugs completely, and connect direct to the equipment in question (including the Hugo2 DAC)...but this is only for the brave/foolhardy/mad DIY enthusiast lol! :wink::ksc75smile:.

Edit: ps. If you're DIY inclined, my suggestion is pick up a good used pair of gen 1s for a silly price, and make up/resolder a new cable as mentioned...you will then have a pair of hps that are very hard to beat, at any cost!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,445 of 3,924
I have an early serial number T1.1 and I have demoed (and purchased) several other headphones but ultimately I always come back to the T1 as I have not found a headphone that clearly outclasses it. I have tried an Elear, Utopia, HE2k, LCD2C, Nighthawk, HD660S and K701. None have stayed. I do have an Audeze Mobius in order to have a wireless on hand. The T1 has its flaws but overall it’s a great headphone.
What amp do you run them on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back