New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Mar 21, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #2,446 of 3,924
As many have already said, a lot also depends on the amp/rest of the setup. I personally have found the T1 gen 1 to perform excellently, with first the OTL LittleDot MKIV SE(special tubes); then Feliks-Audio OTL Elise, and now their Euforia (again special tubes).

But the biggest leap from these T1s came when I first replaced the relatively lowly stock cable with my own, made from 2x different gauges of Neotech solid silver UP-OCC wire, plus one of solid copper (the gen 1s normally fixed/unreplaceable) - also their DIY UP-OCC silver interconnects. The difference was remarkable, and for me, no need whatsoever to go for gen 2!

The icing on the cake was to remove most sockets/plugs completely, and connect direct to the equipment in question (including the Hugo2 DAC)...but this is only for the brave/foolhardy/mad DIY enthusiast lol! :wink::ksc75smile:.

Edit: ps. If you're DIY inclined, my suggestion is pick up a good used pair of gen 1s for a silly price, and make up/resolder a new cable as mentioned...you will then have a pair of hps that are very hard to beat, at any cost!

There are no used T1 where I live and I don't need to own two T1 (1st Generation) anyway.
I'm not a cable guy, the cable used on T1 (1st Generation) is very good, and doesn't need to be replaced.
More so, being a 600 Ohm headphone the cable carries very little current, so there's less of a role for the cable.
I'm not chasing tiny differences that are likely placebo. I much prefer to just enjoy the music with these and the other very high quality headphones I own.
At this point, I consider my time is better spent finding new music.

On a side note, no cable/plug removal will make the T1.1 sound like a T1.2.
If you want to tweak the T1.1 to make it more T1.2-like, getting T1.2 earpads is likely the first thing to do.

Mar 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,447 of 3,924
There are no used T1 where I live and I don't need to own two T1 (1st Generation) anyway.
I'm not a cable guy, the cable used on T1 (1st Generation) is very good, and doesn't need to be replaced.
More so, being a 600 Ohm headphone the cable carries very little current, so there's less of a role for the cable.
I'm not chasing tiny differences that are likely placebo. I much prefer to just enjoy the music with these and the other very high quality headphones I own.
At this point, I consider my time is better spent finding new music.

On a side note, no cable/plug removal will make the T1.1 sound like a T1.2.
If you want to tweak the T1.1 to make it more T1.2-like, getting T1.2 earpads is likely the first thing to do.

Well, to each his own lol!

I am by no means alone in believing cable upgrades (including headphone cables) to make a difference to the quality of sound - very little current carried does not IMHO determine such quality.
Not only did I myself find a noticeable improvement to the Beyer T1 gen1, but the same results were found with other T1s and Senn HD800 + HD800S, by those with younger (and better) ears than my own and different amps and DACs.

So you pays your money and takes your choice - in this hobby of ours, as with most others! As per usual, YMMV!

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #2,448 of 3,924
Got these in mail today, limited Edition in all black. They have a very nice, warm, engaging sound. I don't find these bright at all upon initial listen. They are not as dynamic or as lively as my Utopia's but then again nothing is.

T1.jpg

Mar 21, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #2,449 of 3,924
Got these in mail today, limited Edition in all black. They have a very nice, warm, engaging sound. I don't find these bright at all upon initial listen. They are not as dynamic or as lively as my Utopia's but then again nothing is.

I'll tell you what man, when I just want a nice, relaxed but engaging listen, I reach for mine. Congrats!

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #2,450 of 3,924
I'll tell you what man, when I just want a nice, relaxed but engaging listen, I reach for mine. Congrats!
Thanks, they are a lot smoother than expected. I was expecting them to sound similar to the T5P V2's that I had but these are much more musical and enjoyable. Plus the color combination is killer.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #2,454 of 3,924
Looks nice, but I was expecting to have it "complete" black (including the driver protection). Anyway I would not give 1000 euro for that.

Good, because they are like €560 not €1000... I know because I bought them few days ago...

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:52 AM Post #2,455 of 3,924
Aesthetics. It's BuyDig's limited colorway.

Do not believe everything you read. You can have them in same colour from different sources.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #2,456 of 3,924
Good, because they are like €560 not €1000... I know because I bought them few days ago...
At this lower price these are well worth it.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #2,457 of 3,924
Is there any difference soundwise between T1.2 standard edition and the special black one? Or just aesthetics?

Only aesthetics. I actually called Beyer HQ to confirm before I bought mine.

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #2,459 of 3,924
At this lower price these are well worth it.

Absolutely. At this price I think it is a steal. I compared them to more expensive (due to current promo for T1 black) and lower tier Final Audio Sonorous VI and there is no comparison IMHO. T1 are much better and in general a really, really nice HP!

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:01 AM Post #2,460 of 3,924
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back