New Beyer DT1350
Sep 5, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #2,506 of 4,010
Well, I don't constantly blast at that volume lol so no worries. But every now and again sure I love it. But for maybe one song and then I turn it down. Nothing like a rock concert where that stuff is bulldozing you for 2 hours straight.

As far as the midrange I like it on these. It may not be perfect but the tone is very very good. If anything the soundstage is all that really lacks on these imho.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,508 of 4,010
Quote:
Yeah personally I do find it a little difficult to find that sweet spot on my ears...but when I do, it sounds great. Also do you guys recommend equalizing at all?

I haven't found the need for EQ.  If I ever made any tweaks at all, it might be to turn the bass down a hair on some songs...

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #2,509 of 4,010
Regarding integrated amps vs headphone amps - would I (and my DT 1350s) benefit, sound-wise from a headphone amp if I'm currently using a stereo receiver (Nakamichi RE-10)?  I like using the receiver because I have two sources that I switch between frequently, and most headphone amps I saw didn't allow for multiple sources.  Thoughts?

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2,510 of 4,010
Quote:
Regarding integrated amps vs headphone amps - would I (and my DT 1350s) benefit, sound-wise from a headphone amp if I'm currently using a stereo receiver (Nakamichi RE-10)?  I like using the receiver because I have two sources that I switch between frequently, and most headphone amps I saw didn't allow for multiple sources.  Thoughts?

It really depends on what that parts that particular receiver uses.  I don't know anything about it, personally...

You might find some help in the full-size amp section of the forums.

Sep 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2,511 of 4,010
Usually, headphone outs on receivers suck, so a headphone amp would be better IMHO. There are exceptions, but they are rare.

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #2,512 of 4,010
Also, don't forget that your source is even more important in the chain.  If your source is bad, then no amp on the planet is going to save it...

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2,513 of 4,010
http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-portable-micro-amp.php

They are trying to sell that thing for 550 bucks LMAO with a DAC, oh man thank you, and I guarantee you they made it for around 50. I am NOT saying this is what they all do but that thing looks like a PoS.

I'd take a high-receiver any day of the week over that. What is this myth that amplifier manufacturers don't know how to make a headphone out lol. When did this start because it needs to end. You just need to pick your manufacturer right. At any rate you will be spending some money. But for instance I got my Denon 2112ci refurbed for 375 and there ain't a headphone amp in the universe that does as much as the Denon for that price. Not even close. Networking plus 192 DACs and ADCs as well as a premium amplifier design with 7.1 and multi room setup. A 650 retail but who pays that anyway. Headphone outs are not that difficult to engineer.

If I were you I would look very closely at your options.

On another note you should beware of receivers in some ways just like ANY audio component. You need to make sure they are using discrete amps and of course proper headphone outs but really anything in the last two years or so should be gold if it comes from the higher-end of mass production.

If you are doing this from home I would research your receiver a little more. There is absolutely no reason to get a portable headphone amp. I switch my sources constantly on my PC and the Denon does it all flawlessly. If I could afford a 1600 desktop amp well I'd probably get one lol though I doubt it would sound THAT much different. DACs are pretty much maxed out these days, but still crucial, and it all comes down to amplifier design and the total package. I am not shilling for Denon but I trust them as they have their own decent headphones on the market and it does seem they try to cater to that crowd.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2,515 of 4,010

No, I hadn't but I just took a look and that is exactly what I would be buying if I had the cash lol. That thing just sounds gorgeous by its looks similar to a Krell amp or something. I could mate with that possibly. Well I am kidding.... I think.

It is that one no?

Honestly, that is my kind of amp regardless. Made in the USA with tubes and solids. MY oh MY. 10 pounds. Yeah!

If people can afford it class A is obviously the way to go.

To be very honest I would have never recommended a Denon even two years ago because all the networking and HDMI features were not in place and the DACs were not as nice. Technology has caught up a bit. Even the newer Denon this year has so so looks compared to last years IMO and the same chips. The 2112ci was a bit normal looking but it also had more of a simpler look that I find more attractive. Of course the refurb comes with a paint pulling sticker on the back but.... anyway the damn thing does its job quite well but the Cary is just what enthusiasts relish. That thing needs some T1s or the like but these would do just fine.

The Cary is like a dream of russian lolitas for me. Someday that will be mine. I KNOW THIS!

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #2,516 of 4,010
Class A is overrated. It's only the lazy designer's cop-out, you can achieve results as good (or even better) but more efficiently with AB or especially D.
I'll grant it though, it's far harder to mess up the design in class A, but it requires more advanced components than the other two to achieve the same quality.

$1600 Cary amp vs $200 O2 - unlikely to be distinguishable, even on scope. So why pay through the nose?
It's not like high power speaker amplifiers, where the good parts are actually expensive.
Great DACs are cheap too - but it's relatively easy to mess up the design.
--
Listening at 80 dB SPL? Seriously?! That's as loud as some factories where hearing protection is mandatory, EU regulations say you shouldn't be subject to this loud sound more than an hour!
Normal talk level is somewhere around 30-40 dB. Loud city traffic and many vacuum cleaners is around 60 dB.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,519 of 4,010
Quote:
Speaking of sources...what do you guys usually use? Also is there a vast difference between an MP3 and an MP4 or something like that?

My chain is .flac (foobar2k w/ WASAPI)-->USB-->Audinst HUD-mx1 (DAC only)-->RCA-->Schiit Asgard

To be fair, my Asgard isn't arriving until tomorrow, so my chain currently ends with the Audinst unit...
tongue.gif

MP4 is typically a video file, so I'm not sure what you're meaning to ask there.  If you mean MP3 (lossy) v. a lossless format, then yes, there is a difference.  The amount of difference really depends on the ear of the listener, though, and the quality of the mp3 file (high bitrate v. low bitrate).

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #2,520 of 4,010
Quote:

No, I hadn't but I just took a look and that is exactly what I would be buying if I had the cash lol. That thing just sounds gorgeous by its looks similar to a Krell amp or something. I could mate with that possibly. Well I am kidding.... I think.
It is that one no?
Honestly, that is my kind of amp regardless. Made in the USA with tubes and solids. MY oh MY. 10 pounds. Yeah!
If people can afford it class A is obviously the way to go.
To be very honest I would have never recommended a Denon even two years ago because all the networking and HDMI features were not in place and the DACs were not as nice. Technology has caught up a bit. Even the newer Denon this year has so so looks compared to last years IMO and the same chips. The 2112ci was a bit normal looking but it also had more of a simpler look that I find more attractive. Of course the refurb comes with a paint pulling sticker on the back but.... anyway the damn thing does its job quite well but the Cary is just what enthusiasts relish. That thing needs some T1s or the like but these would do just fine.
The Cary is like a dream of russian lolitas for me. Someday that will be mine. I KNOW THIS!

LOL...it does give off that "come hither" type of vibe, doesn't it? :) 

I'd love to plug my T1s into that beast...or better yet, get some PS1ks.....I'm a big fan of Cary gear...I do a lot of drooling over their stuff and I have a lot of respect for their company. They have another headmp called the Nighthawk that is a little cheaper, but I think I'd probably go with this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back