New Beyer DT1350
Aug 11, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #2,207 of 4,010
I recently bought a pair of AKG K550s and was thoroughly disappointed by its sound -- artificial, hollow, and pretty much one of the weirdest sounding headphones I've owned.  So I went back to the store today and exchanged them (sort of) for the DT1350s -- much better.  Sounds like a mini L3000!

My only concern is with long-term comfort.  I bent the headband a bit and there's less clamping force, but it's still not by any means "comfortable".  Hopefully it'll get better over time.

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #2,208 of 4,010
Congrats Roma,

Let us know how u like them. I'm considering them or possibly the new senn amperiors.

Steve

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #2,209 of 4,010
Do you find it easy to get a good seal with the 1350's? I'm reading that a good fit is critical to the sound quality and for some, that's a bit tricky.

Steve

I recently bought a pair of AKG K550s and was thoroughly disappointed by its sound -- artificial, hollow, and pretty much one of the weirdest sounding headphones I've owned.  So I went back to the store today and exchanged them (sort of) for the DT1350s -- much better.  Sounds like a mini L3000!

My only concern is with long-term comfort.  I bent the headband a bit and there's less clamping force, but it's still not by any means "comfortable".  Hopefully it'll get better over time.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2,210 of 4,010
Quote:
Do you find it easy to get a good seal with the 1350's? I'm reading that a good fit is critical to the sound quality and for some, that's a bit tricky.
Steve

The minute I plop them on my head I get a good seal.  I can shake my head around and the seal is still there.  It's only if I purposely try to shift them forward or backwards that it sounds weird.

It's a nonissue for me, but then again it's more likely to do with the shape of my ears.

At $300 the DT1350 is a steal.

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #2,212 of 4,010
Quote:

It will...I found that mine became more comfortable over the first few days and weeks. That's too bad about the AKGs...you're like the third or fourth person I've seen say that about them recently. I think the all black styling on them is very cool. 

Enjoy the 1350s! :)

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #2,213 of 4,010
Quote:

I'm sorry, I hope I didn't make you feel like you had to be on the defensive lol. I know a LOT of people who love the 880s, some even like them more than the T1s. If I hadn't known lots of people with that preference, I never would have bought the 880s to begin with. I definitely wasn't meaning to hack on the 880s, so I hope you don't take it that way. I just connected more with the 1350s, but the 880s are one of the most popular, best headphones that Beyer makes :)

Noooo, I didn't take it that way at all.  But since several people in a row had said the 1350s were the better headphone, I just felt the need to jump in and raise a lone voice for my guys 
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2,214 of 4,010
Quote:
Steve

Quote:

The minute I plop them on my head I get a good seal.  I can shake my head around and the seal is still there.  It's only if I purposely try to shift them forward or backwards that it sounds weird.

It's a nonissue for me, but then again it's more likely to do with the shape of my ears.

At $300 the DT1350 is a steal.

I will say that simply getting a seal doesn't mean you're hearing them the way they should sound.  I instantly got a good seal as well and thought things were fine until I noticed all kinds of oddities in the sound after listening for a few days (bass was much stronger on the left side, etc.).  At first I thought it was the dreaded QC stuff that purrin has brought up.

Finally, after a few days of fiddling I found my sweet spot where everything sounded balanced and right and I'm now able to position them properly pretty much instantly.  Funny because I was initially splitting the headband as far as I could thinking that more pressure and a better seal would fix what I was hearing.  Now that I've found the right spot for them I don't have to split the headband at all and everything is pretty fantastic...sound and comfort.

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2,215 of 4,010
Would you mind giving me an idea of where that sweet spot is? Directly on the ear? forward? back? higher/lower etc.

The reason I ask is because I never notice a position that makes me feel, aha that's it... I normally get good balanced sound with a good amount of bass.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #2,216 of 4,010
Quote:
Would you mind giving me an idea of where that sweet spot is? Directly on the ear? forward? back? higher/lower etc.
The reason I ask is because I never notice a position that makes me feel, aha that's it... I normally get good balanced sound with a good amount of bass.

Then you've probably found what works for you.

For me the cups sit further back on my ears than I expected them to.  I also had them too low initially and found that moving them up one notch helped considerably.  As the diagram in the instruction manual says you should have a little bit of ear sticking above the top of the cup and below the bottom as well.

Finally, I found that tilting the headband slightly more forward on my head helped me get them into position with what felt like the right amount of clamping force.  

Of course this is all so dependent on the shape of your ears and head that I don't know how useful any of this will actually be for you.  Trial and error, I'm afraid...

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2,217 of 4,010
Yo guys,

I'll have the DT1350 early this coming week! Let us rejoice for it coming!

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #2,218 of 4,010
After reading all the comments about how difficult it is to get a good fit with the 1350s (that and spending most of my headphone time with IEMs) I was worried it would be irritating or difficult.  I found it to be neither.  They go on, they fit with no or very minimal adjustments and I get great sound.

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #2,219 of 4,010
Thanks Skyline, that's what I was hoping to hear. That's close to what works for me.

Congrats Zombie X!

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #2,220 of 4,010
Great, can't wait to hear your thoughts on them.

Steve

Yo guys,

I'll have the DT1350 early this coming week! Let us rejoice for it coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back