New Beyer DT1350
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,186 of 4,010
I sold my DT1350's last year for roughly the same reasons. I really liked them initially but over time I kept on going back to my DT150's because they sounded "bigger". They also got uncomfortable after an hour or so. Lesson learned, on-ear supraaurals with a high clamping force are really not for me.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,187 of 4,010

Quote:
Very occasionally there seems to be some distortion in the bass.

thats definetly not normal as the DT1350 should be able to produce a clear sound across the spectrum up to VERY high volumes. Is it on both sides?

I had this prob with 2 cans also. One was my DT880 Edition which had a broken driver (only on on side), and second with a fake Audio Technica which just had ****ty drivers.

anyways i got my DT1350 today and I love it to bits! ultra detailed just as the beyer fanboy likes it :wink:, but no harsh highs or sibilance like my dt660 has. bass is also just right for my tastes when positioned correctly onto the ear.

durabilty and finish are top notch! ok the lack of a bigger soundstage is a minus but for a can of this size this has to be expected. 

the DT1350 is a keeper for me.

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #1,188 of 4,010
You know what, I think it's the track. Response on MUCH bassier songs has been spot on as far as I can tell.

Played 'Limit to your love' -James Blake  (bassier and punchier) as high as my laptop would let me and there was little to no distortion.

Mind at ease(ish)

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #1,190 of 4,010
I got my hands on a pair of used ones a few days ago too. To my surprise I find the highs a bit too mellow for my liking initially. I was expecting a lot of extended highs from the Tesla drivers haha. There were also a very addictive bass response, fantastic bass love it!

Then as I get a bit more used to them, I really seem to like its combination of bass mids and highs. Therefor question: is their treble a bit rolled off to avoid sibilance, or is this how a flat response should sound like?

Feb 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,191 of 4,010
Quote:
The 1350's have been my first audiophile cans.

Very occasionally there seems to be some distortion in the bass.

It might just be in the song itself.  The DT1350s make that sort of thing pretty noticeable, even compared to many other 'phones in the same price range, let alone cheaper ones.

Feb 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,192 of 4,010

Quote:

It might just be in the song itself.  The DT1350s make that sort of thing pretty noticeable, even compared to many other 'phones in the same price range, let alone cheaper ones.

Definitely the conclusion I have come to. Shame really, the rest of the album has a really nice sound. 

It's annoying that so few shops allow you to try headphones. I would love to see how the detail of the Beyers holds up against other cans.

Has anyone got any songs in particular that they feel showcases the 1350 at their finest?

Feb 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #1,194 of 4,010

Quote:
The 1350's have been my first audiophile cans. For what my opinion is worth I have been incredibly happy (after bending the metal to make them marginally tighter) with them but for one issue.

Very occasionally there seems to be some distortion in the bass. I have found it particularly prominent when listening to Jamie Woon's 'waterfront' for example, though they do handle what I would call 'bassier' songs with no such problems. They handle sample 'bass sweeps' on spotify without distorting, and so the problem appears to be because of the 'thump' of the note rather than its pitch, if that makes sense. 

I have been using My Beyer's with the Cowon I9, set to Mach3bass on the eq, The distortion becomes notable when the volume is set upwards of 32/40, but I have noticed it when they have been plugged into my laptop and other sources with other eq settings too.
------------------ le snip -----------------

Tom

Hello Tom,

Im using Cowon J3 and most of the times EQ it because i dont really like the DT1350 without a tip of bass enhance and high enhance. 
but Mach3bass  doesnt distort for me, it does adds a lot of bass tho but doesnt distort. could it be that song? maybe it is bad recorded or you have a bad rip? 32/40 is very high in my J3.

Quote:
I may be getting rid of my DT1350s soon.  I may be over closed small cups/on-ears for good.  I dunno, the sound just is just way too compact.  I mean, they are great cans for many reasons, but the lack of a decent sound stage is killing it for me.  And they're not terribly comfortable for extended listening or when it's hot out.  Anyone else feel like on-ear closed headphones feel like a potato chip bag clip on your head?

yes, is the price you pay for using on ears. TF10 has a much larger soundstage BTW.

Feb 29, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,195 of 4,010

Quote:

Hello Tom,

Im using Cowon J3 and most of the times EQ it because i dont really like the DT1350 without a tip of bass enhance and high enhance. 
but Mach3bass  doesnt distort for me, it does adds a lot of bass tho but doesnt distort. could it be that song? maybe it is bad recorded or you have a bad rip? 32/40 is very high in my J3.

I think I'm going to return them. If they are not expected to distort at all then there is definitely something amiss.

Feb 29, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #1,196 of 4,010

Quote:
The 1350's have been my first audiophile cans. For what my opinion is worth I have been incredibly happy (after bending the metal to make them marginally tighter) with them but for one issue.

Very occasionally there seems to be some distortion in the bass. I have found it particularly prominent when listening to Jamie Woon's 'waterfront' for example, though they do handle what I would call 'bassier' songs with no such problems. They handle sample 'bass sweeps' on spotify without distorting, and so the problem appears to be because of the 'thump' of the note rather than its pitch, if that makes sense. 

I have been using My Beyer's with the Cowon I9, set to Mach3bass on the eq, The distortion becomes notable when the volume is set upwards of 32/40, but I have noticed it when they have been plugged into my laptop and other sources with other eq settings too.

I may just be expecting too much from them, but I do want to make sure that this type of minor problem is to be expected, especially as it is my first foray into audiophile equipment.

I have heard that a portable amp such as the e11 allows for higher volumes whilst keeping the bass tighter, but I do not want to shell out more money if the problem is going to persist regardless.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

What is it? an MP3? Try the same recording but lossless and see if you get the same distortion

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #1,198 of 4,010
Hey guys,

Really considering the DT1350 for my first high quality set of headphones, their Tesla drivers seem incredible when considering that they are actually portable. Also considering the Sennheiser HD25-1-II, Audio Technica M50 and the Grado SR325is (I am aware they are open and would need a 1/8 adapter, making it slightly more pricey than the Beyer). Obviously the HD25 has been compared numerous times to the DT1350s already so I am quite aware of how they fare against each other, but I haven't heard much about the Grado's compared to them even though they are similar in price. Does anyone have any experience with these 2 and can comment? I've heard many people find Grado's in general uncomfortable, then again I've also heard that the DT1350 takes some work to find the right fit for your head. I'm also open to considering other headphones (on ear or over, no IEM) in the roughly $300 price range that can be driven by an iPhone/laptop alone, or with a relatively inexpensive portable amp, so I am open to suggestions. The HiFiMan HE-300 are also interesting, but opinions seem to be inconsistent about them.

From research the DT1350 seems to be exactly what I am looking, but I am just trying to gather some final opinions on them before pulling the trigger. There are some other great headphones in the price range, but a lot of them require large amplifiers to really sound their best (AKG K/Q701s come to mind) and portability is vital for me.

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #1,199 of 4,010
If portability, great sound and isolation are important for you than DT1350 is the way to go. Yes you have to find sweet spot for them to shine but so far i omly read about one person who spend more than two weeks finding one and end up returning them

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #1,200 of 4,010

Quote:
I was about to get my hands on a pair of second hand DT1350 (with more recent serial number). I have one already, and I bought one for my girlfriend as well.

I realized the sound and small features of the second hand DT1350 are different from mine and my gfs.

I dont think I would want to open them up to compare. I will take photos of the difference in their appearance. Once I got home today.

The sonic differences are quite subtle as well.

Anyone got any ideas of why they might be so different?  

EDIT***

Newer Serial: 138xx 
Older Serial: 110xx

Appearance Differences:

Sonic Differences:

The most obvious difference I can tell is the impact of the mid bass and its quantity. The newer one has got much dominant mid bass for some reason. 

Everyones first impression of the DT1350 vs HD25 will be the difference in bass impact. For some reason, the newer one has got the similiar impact, maybe not quite to the HD25 but definitely better than my older one. 

With that mid bass bump, to my ears, there are some trade off with the treble. 

The newer version sounds more airy but a bit muffled when the mid bass gets out of hands. 

I'm not able to comment on the sound differences but I noticed this change too - sold my old dt1350's which I regretted then picked up a new pair and they have this flatter plastic end.  They still sound superb though- do you have references where you found this information on sound change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back