New Beyer DT1350
Feb 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #1,156 of 4,010

Quote:
I am very glad you are enjoying your DT1350s but!  Considering that I think the iQube is essentially a very bright amp, I am surprised that you think it is not bright enough.  I don't think it is too bright but just right using any of my amps.  My Fostex HP-P1 is the brightest but not quite as bright as the iQube.  My HD-25s are darker than the DT1350s.  They seem to even have more of everything when pushed balanced even more open.  Enjoy....This shows we all enjoy different taste in sound profile and enjoy a different sound.

You are right. I prefer bright and airy sound by far. LCD-2 for instance is not my cup of tea at all. ER-4, T1 and SR325i is more to my taste. So the DT-1350 is the most bass heavy headphone I have at the moment since I sold the HD650. Still the DT-1350 has the detail-level and in spite of being closed it still doesn't have a congested sound which is why I like it. At the moment I am waiting for the T70p. I had the T70 for a while and it was the best closed headphone I have ever heard I am hoping the T70p will have a bit more sparkle in the mids.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #1,157 of 4,010
Gna be asking some very dumb/old questions but please bear with me because I just bought them from FS and I'm as excited as a kid now...

Given my previous experiences with all of my headphones, what should I be expecting from the dt1350s?

TF-10, GR-07, ATH-EW9, MS1000, D2000 and the HD580

Wanting comparisons 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #1,158 of 4,010
Just wanted to share a few pictures of my iQube + DT-1350 portable rig. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #1,159 of 4,010
It's been a while since I had the D2000, but I would say you can expect a richer and more forward midrange from the D1350, but less boomy bass and a smaller soundstage (though the D1350's soundstage is still fairly good for a closed phone).

I had TF10s for a while, it's hard to compare any IEM to a full-size but the TF10 was a bit V-shaped to me.  The 1350s are much more mid-range focused, and with more controlled bass.

Quote:
Gna be asking some very dumb/old questions but please bear with me because I just bought them from FS and I'm as excited as a kid now...

Given my previous experiences with all of my headphones, what should I be expecting from the dt1350s?

TF-10, GR-07, ATH-EW9, MS1000, D2000 and the HD580

Wanting comparisons 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #1,160 of 4,010
Do they sound mid-centric, or is it just because you are comparing them with the D2000 and TF10?

Quote:
It's been a while since I had the D2000, but I would say you can expect a richer and more forward midrange from the D1350, but less boomy bass and a smaller soundstage (though the D1350's soundstage is still fairly good for a closed phone).

I had TF10s for a while, it's hard to compare any IEM to a full-size but the TF10 was a bit V-shaped to me.  The 1350s are much more mid-range focused, and with more controlled bass.

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,161 of 4,010
Hey Rasmushorn, I see you still enjoying the DT1350 
beerchug.gif
 I do too. You said that you would like them to be a bit more extended or hot on top so I'm currently experimenting with mine (based on another member recommended MOD).

My DT1350 look like this inside. They are the first generation I guess. You can see the black felt damping in the cup (two layer) as you can see on the back of the driver their is a hole that allow the driver diaphragm to breath. The problem that was reported is that the black felt does press on the driver and block that breathing hole (Make them sound a bit weird). By adding another layer of foam (2 - 4 mm thick) it allow better breathing (Foam less dense than felt). I currently have a 4 mm memory foam type and can notice better hi's and reduce bass. The mid remain unchanged for me. I actually want to try a thinner foam to get some of the bass back. They are also a lot easier to open compared to the T50p (IMO) 

If your DT1350 look like this inside the result of the MOD might be different. I believed this is the latest model.

Quote:
Just wanted to share a few pictures of my iQube + DT-1350 portable rig. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #1,162 of 4,010
The 1350s are definitely mid-centric IMO, both compared to those headphones and in an absolute sense.  I don't feel that the mids are artificially forward though.  It's a nice sound signature option to have, especially if you already have some V-shaped headphones.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #1,163 of 4,010

Quote:
Hey Rasmushorn, I see you still enjoying the DT1350 
beerchug.gif
 I do too. You said that you would like them to be a bit more extended or hot on top so I'm currently experimenting with mine (based on another member recommended MOD).

My DT1350 look like this inside. They are the first generation I guess. You can see the black felt damping in the cup (two layer) as you can see on the back of the driver their is a hole that allow the driver diaphragm to breath. The problem that was reported is that the black felt does press on the driver and block that breathing hole (Make them sound a bit weird). By adding another layer of foam (2 - 4 mm thick) it allow better breathing (Foam less dense than felt). I currently have a 4 mm memory foam type and can notice better hi's and reduce bass. The mid remain unchanged for me. I actually want to try a thinner foam to get some of the bass back. They are also a lot easier to open compared to the T50p (IMO) 

Thanks for the advice Twinster. I promised myself that I would never ever open a Beyerdynamic headphone again since my T50p broke apart when I tried to change the cable on them :)
I do also think that they sound great just as they are so I am not keen to begin modding them right now. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #1,164 of 4,010
Here is the easiest mod for the DT1350 I have seen.  I just applied the HD-25 velour pads right over the existing pads: (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352733-REG/Sennheiser_069417_Replacement_Velour_Earpads_for.html )

Here is a picture of what it looks like:

This makes the sound move toward the HD-25 a bit while maintaining the precision, attack of the DT1350.  The mids are even more smooth using these pads while the bass is maintained tight like I like it.  The extension of the original is still there giving me the air I enjoyed.   This sounds great everyone should try this mod.

BTW, going between the Fostex HP-P1 singled ended to the RSA SR-71B is like going between a portable to a full size headphone with these DT1350s.  The soundstage and air is so much greater going balanced.  With the full size headphones going balanced that I have heard in the past (HD650) I thought the balanced sound gave is an incoherent sound but with this headphone the soundstage is just right.  Now to listen to the ALO Continental v2 single ended and make this same comparison.  WOW the ALO Continental takes this single ended very near to the soundstage of the balanced SR-71B....The ALO Continental V2 is very much in the same league as the SR-71B... With the ALO some things are as good while some are not quite at the same level as with the SR-71B but overall very good...

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #1,166 of 4,010
Quote:
How comfortable would you say these are? (In itself and compared to other headphones)

Compared to what?  Supra aural headphones aren't usually very comfortable and the DT1350s don't buck that trend.  If you're situation lets you get full size 'phones I'd go with those instead.  If not then the 1350s won't really be much better or worse than most supra aurals.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,168 of 4,010

Quote:
Compared to what?  Supra aural headphones aren't usually very comfortable and the DT1350s don't buck that trend.  If you're situation lets you get full size 'phones I'd go with those instead.  If not then the 1350s won't really be much better or worse than most supra aurals.

Compared to other supra aural headphones like the Senn hd-25 or the V-MODA?

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,169 of 4,010

Quote:

Compared to other supra aural headphones like the Senn hd-25 or the V-MODA?

the M80 is the most comfortable for me, little pressure, and little isolation.
the DT1350 provides the most isolation but also the most uncomfortable
HD25 isolates a great doal tho, and my old pair is very comfortable, it wasnt like  that brand new.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #1,170 of 4,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMcProgger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the M80 is the most comfortable for me, little pressure, and little isolation.
the DT1350 provides the most isolation but also the most uncomfortable
HD25 isolates a great doal tho, and my old pair is very comfortable, it wasnt like  that brand new.

But for me of all three I will take my DT1350 to any of the others based on sound.  I take them off every so often anyway.  Yes, I have had owned all three and returned the M80, maybe I did not give it enough time but thought that it was somewhere between the other two and did not need to keep them.  Now with the ear pads on the DT1350 I have put the HD25 on the shelf for a while and only listening to the DT1350 balanced at work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back