New Beyer DT1350
Jun 25, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #586 of 4,010

Quote:
I keep having problems with the clamp on these. I do not know if I am doing something wrong, but they give me a headache after around an hour of sitting on my head. 

I have tried fiddling with the headband, position on my ears etc., ets., and I cannot find a solution to this. 
I tried stretching the headband for a few days but that did not help at all.

I really like them, but if they continue giving me headaches after such a short time, they will have to go, unfortunately.

Any ideas as to how to fix this problem?

you are like the second one I read to have such problems, do you usually fit the XL size of caps?

my head is kind of regular/small so hopefully I wont have such problems. how about leaving them in one or two books overnight? that is to stretch it gently, It worked with my M50 and some Koss i had.

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #587 of 4,010
Quote:
you are like the second one I read to have such problems, do you usually fit the XL size of caps?

my head is kind of regular/small so hopefully I wont have such problems. how about leaving them in one or two books overnight? that is to stretch it gently, It worked with my M50 and some Koss i had.

They should be comfortable enough unless you're unusually sensitive to that sort of thing.  My head is large enough that regular adjustable baseball hats and visors rarely ever fit me but my head is fine with the DT1350s.  They squish your ears, but any supra that doesn't fall off will do the same.

If its any consolation, I think they're more comfortable than Grados with bowls or HD414 pads and I haven't bothered to bend the headband.  It's metal and not plastic, so you'll have to actually bend it and not just stretch it out.

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #588 of 4,010

Quote:
They should be comfortable enough unless you're unusually sensitive to that sort of thing.  My head is large enough that regular adjustable baseball hats and visors rarely ever fit me but my head is fine with the DT1350s.  They squish your ears, but any supra that doesn't fall off will do the same.

If its any consolation, I think they're more comfortable than Grados with bowls or HD414 pads and I haven't bothered to bend the headband.  It's metal and not plastic, so you'll have to actually bend it and not just stretch it out.

then it might be just a matter of time for them to loose some pressure. I have 2 sets of HD25, one is tight and it does hurts my ears after a while, the Other I assume the older, is very comfortable, have wear it over 3 hours and its perfect.

plastic vs metal headbands, I think metal should be easier to bend at will, But I dont have the DT1350 yet, they are on the way

Jun 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #589 of 4,010
Quote:
then it might be just a matter of time for them to loose some pressure. I have 2 sets of HD25, one is tight and it does hurts my ears after a while, the Other I assume the older, is very comfortable, have wear it over 3 hours and its perfect.

plastic vs metal headbands, I think metal should be easier to bend at will, But I dont have the DT1350 yet, they are on the way

Doesn't the HD25 have a plastic headband?  Those can stretch out over time but a good steel spring will take far more wear than a headphone will see before it loses its springyness.  OTOH the metal is more likely to bend or break with the application of sudden force.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #590 of 4,010
Thanks for al the opinions everyone.

My head is not very big, I would not say XL, maybe L at most. 

I tried stretching them for a few days by putting them on the carrying case they came with. To make sure the pads do not get flat I rested the box between the two 'buttons' that join the actual phones with the headband. They would sit like that for around 18 hours a day for a few days and yesterday they were still pretty clampy. I will try to stretch them by hand, but because there is the plastic cover on the metal headband I want to be careful not to break it. 

I will also try the trick with splitting the headband more. What I think about the headband in general though, is that it is very lightly padded IMO. 

Will report back i na few days.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #591 of 4,010

Quote:
I will also try the trick with splitting the headband more. What I think about the headband in general though, is that it is very lightly padded IMO. 

Be careful with splitting the headband more since it will increase and not decrease clamping! I think it's crucial to find a seet spot for them resting on your ears. In the beginning I had comfort issues, too. Also I hated supra-aural phones for years. But after 2 weeks of using the DT1350 extensively I would even call them comfy. The pads will get softer over the weeks and you will find that sweet spot where you have optimal seal and fit. Don't stop trying and fiddeling! 
beyersmile.png

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #592 of 4,010
Metal has to be bent past its point of elasticity.  I just bent my T50p headbands with vigor and they easily took a larger shape. I'd say, don't be afraid to bend them significantly. Putting them on books won't be enough. On the DT 1350, I'd make sure the bands a closed together when bending.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #593 of 4,010
Im testing Dt1350 a lot of time lately but still cant find that great bass impact on them. Im trying on sony walkman, Im trying on matrix m stage. im not basshead. I even compare it to not bassy cans like RS1. Looking at measurements it should be obvious advantage of bass response for DT1350? However wshen I listen to both cans I find RS1 more engaging and with better low-mids coherency?
On the other hand when I play just test frequencies I noticed that DT1350 have better response at 30hz than RS1 (I "hear" it better).  Maybe because mids in DT1350 are more "in front" ( I feel like Im at scene while in RS1 I feel like I sit close to scene)? I tried various positions and nothing really changed. I find it quite comfortable though.
I think I saw someone who also own both RS1 and DT1350 - Im curious what are his impressions so far?

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #594 of 4,010
The bass is there, it's just not obvious and upfront, which is the way it should be. The holes in the response elsewhere are much more obvious, which can thin out female and backing vocals, making them rather skeletal. But music is fun, clear and open, with a nice sense of subtle power. You could do much worse.

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #595 of 4,010

Quote:
The bass is there, it's just not obvious and upfront, which is the way it should be. The holes in the response elsewhere are much more obvious, which can thin out female and backing vocals, making them rather skeletal. But music is fun, clear and open, with a nice sense of subtle power. You could do much worse.

not precisely what I want to read about them considering they are $260-300 (and I just bought them)

Jun 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #596 of 4,010

Quote:
Be careful with splitting the headband more since it will increase and not decrease clamping! I think it's crucial to find a seet spot for them resting on your ears. In the beginning I had comfort issues, too. Also I hated supra-aural phones for years. But after 2 weeks of using the DT1350 extensively I would even call them comfy. The pads will get softer over the weeks and you will find that sweet spot where you have optimal seal and fit. Don't stop trying and fiddeling! 
beyersmile.png

Thanks for the advice. I was not aware of the fact that splitting the headband tightens clamping. I think I know what you mean by finding the sweet spot. Last night I kept trying and I think I am very close to that. After stretching them even more, the clamp is almost what I want and I can keep them on for 2-3 hours without major problems. 

I reall appreciate your help guys as I really like these phones so far and would prefer to keep them (already have thoughts about getting rid of my T5ps and replacing them with DT1350s, T1s will be used for home listening soon) so thank you again everyone for al the advice so far.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #597 of 4,010

Quote:
not precisely what I want to read about them considering they are $260-300 (and I just bought them)

Dont get me wrong.  They are great cans. I just received new amplifier and these cans sound much different now. So talking that they dont need good amp to shine is wrong IMO. I just listen about half hour but theres big difference. Let me listen to tell more later:)

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #599 of 4,010
Its amp made by majkel, called Black Pearl. Definetely one of the best buy ever - strongly recommended. Its that small box right side of pic (in the middle is power supply). Matrix M Stage is absolutely destroyed in every aspect and its not slight difference:

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #600 of 4,010
Nice.  What's that circuit without a case?
The huge brick is the PSU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back