New Beyer DT1350
Jun 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #541 of 4,010
How much burn-in did you put into T50p?
I'm not finding all that detailed.  I find HD25-1 more impressive, though T50p does do a better job with treble to an extent.  I like the look and feel, and if they don't sell (it seems like they won't, lol) I may try replacing the drivers with DT1350's.  Cheaper than buying a whole new one.

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #542 of 4,010
doublepost

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #543 of 4,010
What

Jun 16, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #544 of 4,010

Quote:
How much burn-in did you put into T50p?
I'm not finding all that detailed.  I find HD25-1 more impressive, though T50p does do a better job with treble to an extent.  I like the look and feel, and if they don't sell (it seems like they won't, lol) I may try replacing the drivers with DT1350's.  Cheaper than buying a whole new one.

Around 200 hours or so before I had to send them back for a refund (they were defective). Then Beyer released the DT 1350, so I waited another 6 months to get my hands on those.

Frankly I'd sell them and buy the DT 1350. There is much more than a new driver (actually I suspect the driver to be very close technically) : there is (drums tadaaaaaa !) some foam in the cups ! In contrast the T50p ones were empty. The cable likely is an improvement as well. And the new robocop stuff (rotating cups, split heaband) is just plain cool, if a little useless for me (I'm playing right now with the cups, sorry, I can't help it).

I tried the HD-25 and never was impressed even though I really liked them a lot with rock. I find the T50p to have substantially more details than the HD-25. The DT 1350 is a slight improvement to me over the T50p.

Of course we're still in the realm of portable Hifi, and these won't get close to the details you'll find on $1000 headphones. I still feel the DT 1350 competes very well against full size cans of its price or even a little above when it comes to details.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #545 of 4,010

Quote:
Around 200 hours or so before I had to send them back for a refund (they were defective). Then Beyer released the DT 1350, so I waited another 6 months to get my hands on those.

Frankly I'd sell them and buy the DT 1350. There is much more than a new driver (actually I suspect the driver to be very close technically) : there is (drums tadaaaaaa !) some foam in the cups ! In contrast the T50p ones were empty. The cable likely is an improvement as well. And the new robocop stuff (rotating cups, split heaband) is just plain cool, if a little useless for me (I'm playing right now with the cups, sorry, I can't help it).

I tried the HD-25 and never was impressed even though I really liked them a lot with rock. I find the T50p to have substantially more details than the HD-25. The DT 1350 is a slight improvement to me over the T50p.

Of course we're still in the realm of portable Hifi, and these won't get close to the details you'll find on $1000 headphones. I still feel the DT 1350 competes very well against full size cans of its price or even a little above when it comes to details.

Here's how I've modded mine: link.
I'm getting more details and clarity than before, but I'm finding HD25-1 more analytical and more resolving.  They improve that much with burn-in then?  Or mine is defective?  HD25 is also cleaner and clearer.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #546 of 4,010
I don't know how your mod affects the sound.

But one thing is certain : I've always found the T50p (and DT 1350 for that matter) to be both more analytical and musical than the HD-25. Except again with dirty, badly recorded rock where the HD-25 gruntiness is an advantage. But on classical music, I find it hard to see the HD-25 as more analytical than the DT 1350 (more details in the DT 1350) and more musical too (the DT 1350 is less agressive).

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #547 of 4,010
I just told you how it affects the sound, lol.
Perhaps my T50p is defective or needs more burn-in.
Aggressiveness is fine with me, being an SR325is fanboy and what not, lol.  So how much more "peaceful" is DT1350?  I don't find HD25 as aggressive as my Grados, and it certainly is nowhere near as heavenly peaceful as my A2000X.

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #548 of 4,010

Quote:
I just told you how it affects the sound, lol.
Perhaps my T50p is defective or needs more burn-in.
Aggressiveness is fine with me, being an SR325is fanboy and what not, lol.  So how much more "peaceful" is DT1350?  I don't find HD25 as aggressive as my Grados, and it certainly is nowhere near as heavenly peaceful as my A2000X.

Sorry, It's already past midnight in Europe, I must have read too quickly.

It seems we're hearing things quite differently there, so I guess it is better you ask another head-fier. Because in my mind it's always been clear that, despite their qualities, the HD-25 is quite clearly behind te T50p / DT 1350 duo in terms of details rendering.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #550 of 4,010
The graphs sum it up fairly well.

Better bass extension, better bass quality, more mids, less emphasis on the highs.

Plus, the fancy split headband and the earpieces can fold up for one eared DJ style listening.

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #552 of 4,010
Still burning mine in, but after around 20 hours I can already hear the bass being much more tamed and tighter. It was boomy in the beginning. I will keep burning them in for the next few days and see how uch they change. T5ps changed a lot with burnin.

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #553 of 4,010
So I have mine for a week now. I use them daily at work and at home. I think 95 % of the burn in happened inside my brain. Tyll Hertsens measurements with his AKG K701 points into the same direction for me. So the first few hours I was impressed how good these sounded technically, but was disappointed how they sounded emotionally. The sound was superb, but it did not touch me as I was used to. But today in the silent hours of late work I listened to Miles Davies In A Silent Way, like so many times before... and got hit, like never before. So for me the burn in is done and the result is fantastic. With these handmade DT-1350 my listening reached a new level of pure perfection and emotion, that I hoped to reach, but was afraid of never reaching...... . For the time being I am satisfied, but we all know the search will never end..... . Right now I run them from the Sony NWZ A 845 that is far superior than my Ipod classic or from my Asus Xonar Essence STX. The next step will be a small portable AMP like the Meier Audio Corda 2Stepdance to further improve my listening experience.
An another thing I could clarify today is the comfort comparison between the HD 25 and the DT-1350. After work I passed by a big local Media Center and could test the Sennheiser HD 25. The comfort is the same for me. My ears mentioned to me that they felt the same as like waring the DT-1350. I could only listen to them using the standard MP3 source they had so I cannot comment the sound compared to the DT-1350. But the built quality is pure plastic ( but well made) industrial design against very well done retro design that feels like it is hand made only for a few people and me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back