New Beyer DT1350
Apr 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #153 of 4,010
Wow Sysagent, thx for the great comparison. You made a very gd point about re0s vocals.

Visited my local headphone shop but alas the dt1350 were sold out. Had a short test with the hd25s and was quite impressed. Coming from the re0s, the hd25 brought life back to some of my rockier songs without losing detail. Highs weren't as smooth as the re0s but it's not a deal-breaker for me. I'm reading many impressions about the dt1350's bass that echo yours - having good extension and control but not as strong as it could/should be. Can you or anyone advise how the beyers bass would stack up against the hd25 and my old d1001? I'm not exactly a basshead, but I played guitar and drums younger and there's always a part of me that feels bass-shy phones don't really represent accurately how a kick-drum sounds like in real-life.

On a build note, the plastic feel of the senns makes it hard to justify the price, but having said that I am looking for something for the long term, and reviews of people using them for decades and the replaceable/customizable options are very encouraging. The dt1350 is a little unproven in that aspect isnt it... Decisions decisions. It's going to be an agonizing two week wait before the beyer stock comes in... :frowning2:

Quote:
Hi Magnus I think I can do a pretty good job for you comparing these headphones as I upgraded the HifiMan Re0's to the DT1350's the other week...

The listening equipment was my Apple Mac using Fidelia Audio player connected to a FiiO E7 external USB DAC, Fidelia had exclusive access to the DAC and I used the same volume on both sets of headphones as they are very similar in their impedance / sensitivity.

The first track I used as a reference was the Massive Attack track Dissolved Girl from the Mezzanine album, and I am typing my observations as I listen to each headphone:-

Beyerdynamic DT1350 - Good bass extension, controlled not Earth shaking though, but it is there none the less (the bass is very dependant on the position of the headphones), it's more like you hear the bass as opposed to FEELING it. Midrange is there not too bright in the upper mids either but it is slightly recessed due to the closed back design as for the treble it is good, nice and clean. As for the stereo seperation it's very good as is the soundstage (hard to tell though with this recording as it is very narrow due to it's nature), oh and there is oodles of detail that wasn't there prior.

HifiMan Re0 with Comply Eartips - Smaller bass immediately apparent, seems to be be more low level detail though? Eww the vocals sound all nasally not nice, but the kick drum has more mid detail, the Re0 seems to be picking up more mid midrange detail (or lower treble, hard to tell) up than the DT1350. The soundstage is not as wide and the separation is similar to the DT1350. Ouch the mid guitar section is really quite painful, some nasty midrange out of control stuff there. Mmm hearing some things now in the track that the DT1350 missed (reversed vocal effect), but again where is the bass???

Conclusion - The DT1350 blows the Re0 out of the water bass and midrange wise, it's there and controlled where as the Re0 is a bit of mess, as for detail the Re0 has the slight edge seemingly revealing things the more expensive DT1350 doesn't show as well, also the Re0's sound tires me out, it's just to grinding on the ears.

Next track Peter Gabriel's track Red Rain of the remastered So album - 

Beyerdynamic DT1350 - Bass is there again as is that nice controlled midrange, no struggling here or mashing of ears, good separation of the hi-hats here, that piano disappears into the distance, oh never heard that sound in that place before! Two minutes 40 into the track the vocals are good, controlled not strained they are there to be enjoyed. Coming to the subtle end, bit of confusion there with all that banging and crashing of drums but the vocals are still good, that reverbed piano is nice., great separation at the end.

HifiMan Re0 - Toy town sound just where is that bass and midrange, vocals straining here, upper mid treble detail better as previous, but God these vocals hurt on the ears, must persevere... Seems more congested a lot less separation here when things are busy, mmm some little details again there showing through... Coming to the two minute 40 mark, oh its not that bad, but it's certainly not as sweet and as controlled as the Beyers, but it's all too bright and annoying. OK subtle ending coming up, recessed vocals here, mmm what are these headphones doing, tinny sound here at the end of the track, no lower midrange sound here, it's all in the upper mid / treble area and the mid string noise is very lost and not half as apparent as the DT1350.

Conclusion - No competition the Beyerdynamic DT1350 is head and shoulders above the HifiMan Re0

Before I did this comparison I believed that the Re0 headphones were quite a good performer, whilst they do stand up to all the observations about the amazing amount of detail that they can reproduce it's a small benefit to the overall sound that they possess, they really are quite painful to listen to compared to the more controlled Beyerdynamic DT1350.

Where I could quite comfortably sit here all day listening to the DT1350, I struggle putting in half an hour with the Re0's, admittedly the DT1350 does have it's faults with that not Earth pounding bass and not revealing the more subtle details in productions, it's the overall sound that matters and in this there is no comparison, which is hardly no surprise considering the cost differences in the products being reviewed...

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #155 of 4,010
I just got these babies in the mail and out of the box all I can say is 0_0 HAVE I BEEN MISSING OUT ON THIS AUDIOPHILE CRAZE! these outright destory my former b&w p5 and I mean destroy them. So for an extra $30 these babies were definately worth it. Starting off with bass its accurrate and enough for me. I am not a fan of bass anymore so there my take on the bass. It's accurrate, tight, and just how it should be heard. The highs are amazing. They don't at all sound rolled off and the instruments sound like they should without coloration. I cant comment on the mids since I dont exactly know how mids are supposed to sound. When compared to my former monster miles davis the dt1350 beat them as well. The dt1350 stop my hunt for portable headphones until I finish college (10 yrs :p) im in 10th grade now lol. These also look so good. They are classy and you wont be stared at much and you might get a compliment here and there. Going back to sound, rap and pop music sound very good and fun as well. These might be very accurate but they do sound fun. Rock also sounds really good with these. You could hear each instrument accurately but it was also fun listening to them. So here was a non detailed reference review from someone coming from a sony xb40-sk fmj-sony xb500-b&w p5-vmoda crossfade-monster miles davis & b&w p5 to the dt1350. The dt1350 burys and puts the nail on the coffin on all of my former headphones.

Apr 29, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #158 of 4,010
oh I never kept more than 2 pairs at a time. When I needed new ones I sold my old ones and sold some of my other stuff I had laying around and bought the headphones. Plus my parents let me buy the p5's (my most expensive set before these) as a gift from them so basically I personally spent about 150 on headphones so far. Unfortuantely my one and only source is my iphone 4 but I dont carry <320kbps files and do have the flac player on my iphone so it's not all that bad :p
Lets just say i'm spoiled :D 

also I did sell my p5's to get these so these are my only headphones now.

Ok, I get it!

By the way, i read your thread in which you were deciding between the dt1350 and denon A100. just think that you made the right choice because the A100 you're paying a huge premium on it being the 100th anniversary edition, with only minor upgrades to the D1100.

Swaying back to the topic, how do find the comfort of the dt1350 relative to the P5's?

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #159 of 4,010

Quote:
Quote:
oh I never kept more than 2 pairs at a time. When I needed new ones I sold my old ones and sold some of my other stuff I had laying around and bought the headphones. Plus my parents let me buy the p5's (my most expensive set before these) as a gift from them so basically I personally spent about 150 on headphones so far. Unfortuantely my one and only source is my iphone 4 but I dont carry <320kbps files and do have the flac player on my iphone so it's not all that bad :p
Lets just say i'm spoiled :D 

also I did sell my p5's to get these so these are my only headphones now.

Ok, I get it!

By the way, i read your thread in which you were deciding between the dt1350 and denon A100. just think that you made the right choice because the A100 you're paying a huge premium on it being the 100th anniversary edition, with only minor upgrades to the D1100.

Swaying back to the topic, how do find the comfort of the dt1350 relative to the P5's?

I can keep the dt1350 much longer on my head than the b&w p5's. The p5's got too hot and Irritated me. The dt1350 feel nice on my head and aren't too visceral as some other people claim them to be. But all I can say is that I am really really impressed and happy with these. Plus I think th tesla effect is pretty cool since I can raise the volume more than I could with the p5's and don't get any distortion.

Bad quality pic, hair needs a cut lol but whatever its me wearing them. The part where it says beyerdynamic is metal, so is the silver parts.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #160 of 4,010
The sibilance in these is none. These are even less sibilant than the p5's and thats saying something seeing how the p5's were known to have the least sibilance against any portable. The sound coming from the dt1350 is just so clean and accurate that I can hype it just so more people would buy them. These are truely the perfect portables.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #161 of 4,010
Very nice dynamic!

Someone needs to do a comparison with the other new kid on the block, the Z1000, these are wonderful and in my view the most portable reference headphone I've come across (haven't tried the DT1350 though).

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #162 of 4,010

Quote:
Very nice dynamic!

Someone needs to do a comparison with the other new kid on the block, the Z1000, these are wonderful and in my view the most portable reference headphone I've come across.

They do not compare at all. The Z1000 has a mellow signature that reveals less detail and a much more restricted soundstage. The DT1350 is much crisper and makes it much easier to follow an instrument or a group of instruments in more complex settings. It betters my beloved Shure SRH840 in that respect while having a punchier bass at the same time. I kept my Shure SRH840 at that time and sold the Sony. Now I have sold the Shure and will keep the Beyer. I believe the "problem" with the Sony is its somewhat recessed treble. I would not have expected this from the maker of the SA5000, but it seems they took the opposite direction this time. 

To be fair I have to add that style, finish and comfort of the MDR-Z1000 are really outstanding, as are details like the detachable cord. Too bad sound does not live up to that. But then the DT-1350 also is well built and feels "right". 

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #163 of 4,010
Well yesterday I sold my B&W P5 and ordered the 1350's they should be in my hands in 6 to 8 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not disappointed with them as I was with the P5's. From what I've read on this thread these might be what I've been looking for in a mobile headphone. Neutral but still a touch on the warm side, balanced with nice controlled bass that won't leak into the mids. We'll see when I get my hands on them if they're my cup of tea. I just hope they these don't turn out to be another P5 debacle for me. Anyone else here have anymore info on the 1350?

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #164 of 4,010

Doesn't seem fair, considering the price difference...
Quote:
Very nice dynamic!

Someone needs to do a comparison with the other new kid on the block, the Z1000, these are wonderful and in my view the most portable reference headphone I've come across (haven't tried the DT1350 though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back