New Beyer DT1350
Apr 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #137 of 4,010
I received my DT 1350's today. So far they leave me a little cold. Their presentation is a bit on the flat side. But I should have expected that reading the initial impressions. I think I just like a more exciting sound. I mean, I know I shouldn't expect them to compare to my Ultrasone Pro 900, but that's more the style of presentation and bass I prefer.

Fit-
I do find them a slightly challenging to get situated just right on my ears. They're definitely better than the previous T50p I had, but still leave room for improvement. The split band really does help keep them secure though. Nice touch. My first successful process for getting a solid seal/fit consisted of getting the extension length just right, followed by sliding the earcups around on the surface of my ears until the sound bloomed and filled out. Once I found the right amount to extend the earcups, that stays a constant. So sliding them around is all that's really required each time I put them on. With the T50p's, nothing I tried would work, so at least I'm doing better in fit with these.

Sound-
Sonically, they're just a bit uninspiring I think. The treble is okay, maybe a touch rolled off. Thankfully that lends a nice smooth and non-fatiguing quality. Mids are very front and center. I would describe them as mid-centric phones than anything else. The midrange reminds me just a bit of my SM3s. Bass is what I find most lacking. It's definitely on the light side, and I find I enjoy it much better if I add some in with my Arrow 3G amp. Soundstage also grows nicely with the Arrow. I would describe it as on the narrow side without an amp, but they do exhibit a nice widening when it's in the picture. Running them straight out of my Sony X1060 results in having to almost max out the volume to get any sort of fun listening level. And we're not talking ear splitting levels at all. But throw the Arrow in the mix and they get quite a bit larger sounding. Bass fills out somewhat, although not to the levels I'd like. So if a DT 1350 user wants to stay portable, one of the current super small amps will probably make life a lot more enjoyable. I feel like they don't work very well with just my Sony X.

So all things considered I'm not sure they're keepers for me. I should probably get my TMA-1's out and compare, since I haven't listened to those much at all since receiving my Pro 900's. I'll let the Beyers burn in for a while, but I'm pretty sure they won't make the kind of gains I'd like to see to cause me to keep them. We'll see.......

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #138 of 4,010
Sounds like my cup of tea.  =]
How's the bass with the Arrow's bass boost?

They'll probably be awesome out of my Minibox-E+.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #139 of 4,010
The bass is definitely much, much better with the Arrow. I'm not totally sure if it's more a product of the Arrow or the DT 1350s themselves, but there's certainly pretty substantial improvement. And it doesn't make it muddy either. It's punchier rather than overly bloated. So that's a positive. I'm going to do a lot more listening during my work days with the Sony X and the Arrow and see how they open up with some hours. I hope they make some more gains for sure. 

Oh, and I should list another positve-- build quality / design. I just love the use of metal components, the swivel functionality, the split headband, and in general just the rich in-hand feel. Very, very nice.

And I totally understand how one person's less than ideal phone can be highly desirable to another. That's what makes this hobby so much fun. I totally enjoy that you can discern from a mostly negative/critical review like mine that they could be quite appropriate for you.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #140 of 4,010
I don't find your opinion to be all that negative.

Mid-centric is my cup of tea, smooth non-fatiguing highs as well.  I won't mind a little roll-off as I am not much of a treble lover.  I probably won't find them "bass-light" out of my amp either.
Exciting to me would be energetic or like Grados, unless you didn't mean that exciting is more bass/treble.

Are they very dynamic?  A little lacking?  Upper mids a bit boosted?  Slightly laid-back?  Loads of speed throughout?  Grungy?  Very transparent and detailed?

Take your time, lol.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #141 of 4,010
Heh, yes, I will probably take a little more time now and see if the drivers open up much at all. 

It's been a long search to find what I like exactly, I'll admit. So far the Ultrasones are closest. But after the DT 1350's their mids are just a tad recessed. I would try Grados, but I need closed cans in my everyday listening situations. It's so interesting how one headphone points out the differences in another. Also, the Pro 900's treble seemed just a hair harsh after the DT 1350's. That's how it goes though I guess. I think treble is the bandwidth I've struggled with most, not being totally satisfied with any earphone/headphone I've owned to date. They're either too soft, or too harsh when they seem to have a good level of detail.

I think what I want with 'exciting' is a high level of resolution (such as the Pro 900) while still being somewhat laid-back in the top registers. And of course some good ol' bass impact. Mids, contrary to your focus, are my least necessary 'perfect bandwidth'. As long as vocalists seem realistically portrayed, and instruments have the proper weight and detail, then I'm good with that.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #142 of 4,010
Lack of resolution?  =\
How does it compare to your TF10 in terms of mids and overall resolution?  (Since I also have that 'phone.)

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #143 of 4,010
Well they show only a touch of lack of resolution compared to the Pro 900s I'd say. But they do have very good amounts of it on their own merit. I haven't done a direct comparison with the TF10s yet, but will make it a point to do so sometime soon. I'd say though that they're pretty similar in that regard based on my impressions of the UEs... 

My Pro 900s and Sony EX1000s are quite similar in terms of resolution, i.e. a level higher than the DT 1350 and TF10. No earphone I've heard compares to the Sonys in that regard, they're quite remarkable.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #144 of 4,010
I've been listening to these babes for a few days now.

Out of the box it is already extremely detailed across the board, with the bass a tiny bit shy. Treble extends real nicely.

After a few days of normal use, the sound becomes incredibly balanced. And I do mean INCREDIBLY, really outstanding not just among portables, but among ALL on-ear or around-ear cans. This sort of balanced sound is something not all manufacturers dare to attempt since it probably means "flat" and "unexciting" to many people, but for someone like me who spent years on Etys and listens mostly to classical or demands a realistic presentation of live performance these are real gems among headphones. I'm quite lost in words.........full marks on details (and somehow I prefer its presentation of details to the ED8), soundstage is pretty decent (not ED8-decent though) and full marks on sound balance - detailed and analytical from the lowest to the highest frequency.

Something that almost brings tears to my eyes.............this IS a dream comes true.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #145 of 4,010
1287715532029.jpg

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #146 of 4,010
so the dt1350 dont lack any highs. I personally am through with being a basshead. I started with a sony xb40 then sk fmj to a sony xb500 to the b&w p5 accidently downgraded to the vmoda crossfade, then a pair of monster miles davis, and back to the b&w p5. sold my miles davis. a month after sold my b&w p5 and purchased the dt1350 (2 days ago). My best pair of headphones were the miles davis (i really miss them :...( but they had tge perfect sound signature for me. They had a nice soundstage, treble sounded like it should relaxed but accurate. The mids were neithe straight or recessed and the bass was just right. Are the dt1350 something that I should really be looking forward to? my one and only source is my iphone 4.

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #147 of 4,010

Quote:
so the dt1350 dont lack any highs. I personally am through with being a basshead. I started with a sony xb40 then sk fmj to a sony xb500 to the b&w p5 accidently downgraded to the vmoda crossfade, then a pair of monster miles davis, and back to the b&w p5. sold my miles davis. a month after sold my b&w p5 and purchased the dt1350 (2 days ago). My best pair of headphones were the miles davis (i really miss them :...( but they had tge perfect sound signature for me. They had a nice soundstage, treble sounded like it should relaxed but accurate. The mids were neithe straight or recessed and the bass was just right. Are the dt1350 something that I should really be looking forward to? my one and only source is my iphone 4.

If you really fancy the miles davis, I dun think the DT1350 is what you want. Miles Davis is quite strong on its own flavour, with its semi-recessed highs, smooth mids and rather fat bass (pardon my own description of the MDs, which I spent quite a lot of time with some time ago, but then i hope you may know better the differences between these cans despite our difference in taste), while DT1350 is pretty flavorless in comparison, making it even more monitor-like than the HD25, which in turn is a tad bass-heavy for serious studio monitoring.

Especially in the bass department, DT1350 is fast, detailed, bouncy but not the more involving bass like the MDs. And MD's mids sound quite a bit sweeter than the neutral DT1350.

That said, DT1350 is quite some classes above P5 in terms of sheer quality, though somehow I also enjoyed my own P5 for its more relaxing presentation. DTs are more gritty and unforgiving.

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #148 of 4,010
If you really fancy the miles davis, I dun think the DT1350 is what you want. Miles Davis is quite strong on its own flavour, with its semi-recessed highs, smooth mids and rather fat bass (pardon my own description of the MDs, which I spent quite a lot of time with some time ago, but then i hope you may know better the differences between these cans despite our difference in taste), while DT1350 is pretty flavorless in comparison, making it even more monitor-like than the HD25, which in turn is a tad bass-heavy for serious studio monitoring.

Especially in the bass department, DT1350 is fast, detailed, bouncy but not the more involving bass like the MDs. And MD's mids sound quite a bit sweeter than the neutral DT1350.

That said, DT1350 is quite some classes above P5 in terms of sheer quality, though somehow I also enjoyed my own P5 for its more relaxing presentation. DTs are more gritty and unforgiving.

i really liked the miles davis but I got bored of that type of signature. I bought the dt1350 in expectance of something new, so yes the dt1350 is something I want. With the p5's I got quite bored with the sound as well, they felt too heavy with their sound and I really didn't like it anymore.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #149 of 4,010
Anyone able to compare the dt1350s to say a head-direct re0?

As much as I love my re0s details and clarity, I wish it had more bass, and prefer on ear rather than in-ear. Will the dt1350 be a good upgrade?

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #150 of 4,010
Hi Magnus I think I can do a pretty good job for you comparing these headphones as I upgraded the HifiMan Re0's to the DT1350's the other week...

The listening equipment was my Apple Mac using Fidelia Audio player connected to a FiiO E7 external USB DAC, Fidelia had exclusive access to the DAC and I used the same volume on both sets of headphones as they are very similar in their impedance / sensitivity.

The first track I used as a reference was the Massive Attack track Dissolved Girl from the Mezzanine album, and I am typing my observations as I listen to each headphone:-

Beyerdynamic DT1350 - Good bass extension, controlled not Earth shaking though, but it is there none the less (the bass is very dependant on the position of the headphones), it's more like you hear the bass as opposed to FEELING it. Midrange is there not too bright in the upper mids either but it is slightly recessed due to the closed back design as for the treble it is good, nice and clean. As for the stereo seperation it's very good as is the soundstage (hard to tell though with this recording as it is very narrow due to it's nature), oh and there is oodles of detail that wasn't there prior.

HifiMan Re0 with Comply Eartips - Smaller bass immediately apparent, seems to be be more low level detail though? Eww the vocals sound all nasally not nice, but the kick drum has more mid detail, the Re0 seems to be picking up more mid midrange detail (or lower treble, hard to tell) up than the DT1350. The soundstage is not as wide and the separation is similar to the DT1350. Ouch the mid guitar section is really quite painful, some nasty midrange out of control stuff there. Mmm hearing some things now in the track that the DT1350 missed (reversed vocal effect), but again where is the bass???

Conclusion - The DT1350 blows the Re0 out of the water bass and midrange wise, it's there and controlled where as the Re0 is a bit of mess, as for detail the Re0 has the slight edge seemingly revealing things the more expensive DT1350 doesn't show as well, also the Re0's sound tires me out, it's just to grinding on the ears.

Next track Peter Gabriel's track Red Rain of the remastered So album - 

Beyerdynamic DT1350 - Bass is there again as is that nice controlled midrange, no struggling here or mashing of ears, good separation of the hi-hats here, that piano disappears into the distance, oh never heard that sound in that place before! Two minutes 40 into the track the vocals are good, controlled not strained they are there to be enjoyed. Coming to the subtle end, bit of confusion there with all that banging and crashing of drums but the vocals are still good, that reverbed piano is nice., great separation at the end.

HifiMan Re0 - Toy town sound just where is that bass and midrange, vocals straining here, upper mid treble detail better as previous, but God these vocals hurt on the ears, must persevere... Seems more congested a lot less separation here when things are busy, mmm some little details again there showing through... Coming to the two minute 40 mark, oh its not that bad, but it's certainly not as sweet and as controlled as the Beyers, but it's all too bright and annoying. OK subtle ending coming up, recessed vocals here, mmm what are these headphones doing, tinny sound here at the end of the track, no lower midrange sound here, it's all in the upper mid / treble area and the mid string noise is very lost and not half as apparent as the DT1350.

Conclusion - No competition the Beyerdynamic DT1350 is head and shoulders above the HifiMan Re0

Before I did this comparison I believed that the Re0 headphones were quite a good performer, whilst they do stand up to all the observations about the amazing amount of detail that they can reproduce it's a small benefit to the overall sound that they possess, they really are quite painful to listen to compared to the more controlled Beyerdynamic DT1350.

Where I could quite comfortably sit here all day listening to the DT1350, I struggle putting in half an hour with the Re0's, admittedly the DT1350 does have it's faults with that not Earth pounding bass and not revealing the more subtle details in productions, it's the overall sound that matters and in this there is no comparison, which is hardly no surprise considering the cost differences in the products being reviewed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back