New Beyer DT1350
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #3,736 of 4,010

eek.gif

Wow. Super impressive.

Question is, how do they sound??

General impression after a day of listening:
- Highs are given better airspace. 
- Mids sound less thick but have better 3 dimensional presentation.  Gone is the tunnel-like soundstage of the stock 1350.
- Bass quantity got sapped but the resulting low end push gives a more controlled and pleasant slam as bass decay sounds more natural in open-backs.

Whereas the stock 1350 may sound like stereo speakers attached to my ears, the modded phones create an enveloping sound that reminds me more of the T1 than a pair of portable supraaurals.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3,738 of 4,010
General impression after a day of listening:

- Highs are given better airspace. 

- Mids sound less thick but have better 3 dimensional presentation.  Gone is the tunnel-like soundstage of the stock 1350.

- Bass quantity got sapped but the resulting low end push gives a more controlled and pleasant slam as bass decay sounds more natural in open-backs.

Whereas the stock 1350 may sound like stereo speakers attached to my ears, the modded phones create an enveloping sound that reminds me more of the T1 than a pair of portable supraaurals.

Is that the result of wooden ear-cup?

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,743 of 4,010
Well, I've ordered a pair after finding a deal I couldn't refuse... Here's hoping they're the facelift version... 

In any case, I'll see how their pair with the Tera Player

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #3,746 of 4,010
I've only been listening to my shure 940's for the past several months but need something more portable for commuting. I decided to give these a go given the price and reviews. I received my pair from Amazon today and have only had a brief session with them but thus far am underwhelmed. They leak more sound than I expected (tested on my leg with a good seal) and the overall sound character is rather sterile and lacking in lifelike energy. I'm going to spend more time with them and do some eqing but coming from the 940's (which one reviewer compared to the dt1350 favorably) I am disappointed.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #3,747 of 4,010
I've only been listening to my shure 940's for the past several months but need something more portable for commuting. I decided to give these a go given the price and reviews. I received my pair from Amazon today and have only had a brief session with them but thus far am underwhelmed. They leak more sound than I expected (tested on my leg with a good seal) and the overall sound character is rather sterile and lacking in lifelike energy. I'm going to spend more time with them and do some eqing but coming from the 940's (which one reviewer compared to the dt1350 favorably) I am disappointed.

I used to own the 940s, and the tonality of the two headphones are pretty much polar opposites.  

It's a big adjustment and if you're used to the 940s, then I'm not surprised you're having a strong knee jerk reaction.  Give them time so your ears and brain can adjust.  Just put the 940s away for a while.

Also, I've found the sound leakage with these to be very minimal.  When I let people demo them, they are always sitting right next to me and I've never heard the tiniest peep of music coming out.  Keep playing with them...

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #3,748 of 4,010

I used to own the 940s, and the tonality of the two headphones are pretty much polar opposites.  

It's a big adjustment and if you're used to the 940s, then I'm not surprised you're having a strong knee jerk reaction.  Give them time so your ears and brain can adjust.  Just put the 940s away for a while.

Also, I've found the sound leakage with these to be very minimal.  When I let people demo them, they are always sitting right next to me and I've never heard the tiniest peep of music coming out.  Keep playing with them...

I'm not sure what the other headfier heard that he found to be similar between the two but I don't hear it at all. I'll give them some more time this evening and tomorrow at the office and enroute. You could hear a flea fart in my office so if there is leakage at normal volumes someone will tell me. I almost bought the T51p but the price on the 1350 won me over. I'm wondering now if the T51p might have a more emotional quality in rendering human voices and instrument timbre. I'll give these a bit more time before I print my amazon return.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #3,750 of 4,010
@wakeride74: While I can't relate to your assessment of the DT1350 (to me its neither lifeless nor sterile) you might want to try the T51p as after a short listening session I'd classify it as quite a bit warmer.
Another observation I had with my two sets of pads on the DT1350: they get softer after about two weeks of daily use, the seal gets better. That could change your impression as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back