New Beyer DT1350
Jan 14, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3,706 of 4,010
  Sure.  I watched the Vali thread for a while, so I'm up on the sound signature and microphonics.  But, it's nice to hear about how it pairs with specific headphones.  I also have the DT880 and I've heard good things about it paired with the Vali as well.

As for the 1350, I've found it a little funny with certain amps.  I actually love it with my Audinst HUD-mx1, but really don't like it at all when paired with my Asgard 1.  I have no idea what it is, but the Asgard just make the 1350s sound a bit lifeless and bland.  I really don't have the technical know-how to understand why that may be occuring. 

Go with your ears - I know exactly what you mean by "lifeless and bland" - no technical explanation necessary.  

beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #3,709 of 4,010
If you want to stay mobile I'd be hard pressed to name a better option (while I like my M100 very much the DT1350 is overall still better).

Main question is: what do you want to upgrade? Comfort? In that case the T51p might be interesting (less clamping, softer pads but soundwise tuned a bit more to consumer tastes). Sound? Depends on taste of course, but I have not heard a better truly mobile headphone so far.

Some people like the Momentum (which I consider clearly inferior to the DT1350), the NAD HP50, the Kef M500 or the B&W P7 (heard neither of them so far).

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #3,711 of 4,010
  what would be a good upgrade from the dt 1350?

I've just bought the Amperior which many have said is superior (we'll see) and has been discontinued so you can get it really cheap right now. Just FYI. I'll let you know how they compare when I get them on Tues or Wed next week. They should at least be a bit of an improvement in comfort.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106684

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,712 of 4,010

I've just bought the Amperior which many have said is superior (we'll see) and has been discontinued so you can get it really cheap right now. Just FYI. I'll let you know how they compare when I get them on Tues or Wed next week. They should at least be a bit of an improvement in comfort.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106684

they are still very expensive in the uk :frowning2:

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #3,713 of 4,010
You can usually find a good price on the HD 25-1 II which is pretty much the same headphone but with a higher impedance (70 ohms) and plastic cups. The Amperior also comes with velour pads but you can get the same velours for the HD 25.

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,714 of 4,010
  no I actually dont want to stay mobile :) I use my IE80's as mobile now and I wanted to upgrade my DT 1350 to a full size headphone with similar sound signature.

In that case have a look at other Beyer offerings... T90 performs very well, is quite affordable and has, to my memory of a rather short test, a sound signature not too far from the DT1350, but more detailed and spacious (its open though). T1 is one of my favourite cans if thats within your budget.

Don't know the Amperior but hat the HD25 for a while. Prefer the DT1350 by quite a margin, the HD25 has too much kickbass and not enough subbass for my taste. Highs are a bit too aggressive and the soundstage is rather compressed. It fulfills its primary use case (monitoring) and is very good for DJing (loud, robust, kick and highhat very present) but I never could listen to it at home.

Jan 17, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #3,715 of 4,010

In that case have a look at other Beyer offerings... T90 performs very well, is quite affordable and has, to my memory of a rather short test, a sound signature not too far from the DT1350, but more detailed and spacious (its open though). T1 is one of my favourite cans if thats within your budget.

Don't know the Amperior but hat the HD25 for a while. Prefer the DT1350 by quite a margin, the HD25 has too much kickbass and not enough subbass for my taste. Highs are a bit too aggressive and the soundstage is rather compressed. It fulfills its primary use case (monitoring) and is very good for DJing (loud, robust, kick and highhat very present) but I never could listen to it at home.

thank you for the suggestion, I will definately check it out. Man I just wish I could afford the T1's. I listened to them once and they just blew me away completely.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #3,716 of 4,010
  thank you for the suggestion, I will definately check it out. Man I just wish I could afford the T1's. I listened to them once and they just blew me away completely.

In that case I'd try out the T90... I found it to be very capable, retaining the best traits of its bigger brother. If you listen to it not as a smaller T1 but as a model in its own right its a very interesting offer. I would definitely use an amp with that one though, and it will scale above mobile amps. Meier Audio offers some well respected models that pair very well with Beyerdynamic headphones IMO. But you Leckerton should be able to power it for the time being I guess.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,719 of 4,010

Not trying to contradict you, but the T90 is nothing like the DT1350.  I recently returned a pair of T90s because they were extremely bright for my tastes.  The DT1350, on the other hand, is perfect and I can't see myself being without a pair at hand. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,720 of 4,010

The closest headphone to the DT1350's signature in a full-size is the T5p.  I know this is not much help since you could buy the T1 for the price of the T5p.

The T1 is the better headphone.  The T5p does offer isolation and "portability".

The AKG K550 is somewhat similar to the DT1350...and a lot cheaper than the T5p.

If you want another really good portable, try the Martin Logan Mikros 90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back