New Beyer DT1350
Dec 10, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #3,691 of 4,010
You guys saying you like the kick drum reporudction must listen to some soft ass music Lol. Or like your 300hz thud. They do not have the impact/slam of many other headphones. You need to hear some m100s :)

Look at the dt1350 measurements. Falloff/dip after 100hz where the meat of kicks lie.http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/beyer_dt1350_graph_fr.jpg
They emphasise the sub bass and are wonderful at that, and go nice and now, but for the music I listen to the m100s are a lot better at bass. And a hellofa lot more comfy especially with XL pads.

Of course if you love your mids or want something slightly more neutral the beyers are better there. I'm very interested in the new focal spirit pro as far as closed back neutral professional cans go though: by all accounts they are awesome

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #3,692 of 4,010
weak bass drum hits are generally caused by improper seal. When I first had the DT1350 I thought the bass was all about sub bass but after pads break-in to my ears and learning how to position them perfectly, the kick drums sounded superb! with just a little bit enhanced decay (if not very natural), and perfect punch. Although you can't deny that most HPs have more midbass quantity than this beyer.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3,693 of 4,010
Although you can't deny that most HPs have more midbass quantity than this beyer.
Yep.
I can get a perfect seal easily too, you always know when you get em in the right spot. Just shouldnt be a right spot

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #3,694 of 4,010
You guys saying you like the kick drum reporudction must listen to some soft ass music Lol. Or like your 300hz thud. They

Hey man, there is nothing wrong with Kenny G...I resent your comment.  
L3000.gif

Look at the dt1350 measurements. Falloff/dip after 100hz where the meat of kicks lie.http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/beyer_dt1350_graph_fr.jpg
They emphasise the sub bass and are wonderful at that, and go nice and now, but for the music I listen to the m100s are a lot better at bass. And a hellofa lot more comfy especially with XL pads.

Of course if you love your mids or want something slightly more neutral the beyers are better there. I'm very interested in the new focal spirit pro as far as closed back neutral professional cans go though: by all accounts they are awesome

I listen with my ears, not with graphs.   My ears tell me that the DT1350s sound very realistic.

I suppose the the M100s might give you the sensation that you are sitting very close to the drummer (like on his lap 
blink.gif
), whereas with the DT1350s you feel the impact as if you were sitting at a normal distance from the stage.

For something like the Black Eyed Peas (when I get tired of Kenny G) I prefer the Momentums, which have more bass punch.

I recently attended a jazz trio concert (piano, bass, drums) where I was sitting in the sixth row from the stage.   At a certain point I closed my eyes and imagined which one of my headphones sounded the closest to what I was hearing at that moment.   I thought the DT1350s were the closest match.   My Momentum would probably be the closest match (of the headphones I own) to a U2 concert at some sports arena. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3,695 of 4,010
Fair enough. They're great sounding headphones. You should always trust your ears. Personally before I ever saw the graphs I knew there was a lack of mid bass (in relation to sub bass), meaning kicks can get lost in SOME music and feel a bit weak (again, to me and the music I listen to).

I wouldn't liken any closed headphones (especially on ear ones) to being at a concert. M100s do the best job I've heard of feeling like an edm club with a big yet clear sound system. Perfectly tuned for that. My th600s are the only cans I've heard where I can imagine I'm in the crowd at a concert because the soundstage is so damn good, but they're practically open headphones.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #3,703 of 4,010
  Hey, if anyone here has a Schiit Vali ($120 hybrid amp), try it with the DT1350 - it's a pretty nice pairing if you want to get a little bit of tubeliciousness to fill out the bass and warm things up.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/2910#post_10163578

Mike

Nice!  Thanks for the tip.

I don't have the Vali, but at such a low price the temptation to buy it is always there...

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,704 of 4,010
  Nice!  Thanks for the tip.

I don't have the Vali, but at such a low price the temptation to buy it is always there...

Well, I should caution you that even with a good DAC (I'm using a Concero), the sound is "softer" with this $120 hybrid amp.

The fantastic bass control that can be had with the DT1350 on good solid state amps, is lost with the Schiit Vali.  But the tubey colorations boost the bass energy and bring down the treble a bit, while adding warmth and thickness throughout the FR.  There's also a problem with the Vali's tubes having fairly severe microphonics - read all about it on the Vali thread.  But for $120, it's a fun little amp that offers an easy way to get that euphonic tube sound.  I don't recommend it for planar magnetics, though - the Vali doesn't have enough power, so the dynamics get compressed.  

And if you have any recordings that sound bad with analytical amp/headphone combos, the Vali can make that same headphone sound good (with less resolution, of course) - as with the HD800 - an amazingly good pairing.

But seriously, the Vali produces a nice change for DT1350 owners.  

Mike

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #3,705 of 4,010

Well, I should caution you that even with a good DAC (I'm using a Concero), the sound is "softer" with this $120 hybrid amp.

The fantastic bass control that can be had with the DT1350 on good solid state amps, is lost with the Schiit Vali.  But the tubey colorations boost the bass energy and bring down the treble a bit, while adding warmth and thickness throughout the FR.  There's also a problem with the Vali's tubes having fairly severe microphonics - read all about it on the Vali thread.  But for $120, it's a fun little amp that offers an easy way to get that euphonic tube sound.  I don't recommend it for planar magnetics, though - the Vali doesn't have enough power, so the dynamics get compressed.  

And if you have any recordings that sound bad with analytical amp/headphone combos, the Vali can make that same headphone sound good (with less resolution, of course) - as with the HD800 - an amazingly good pairing.

But seriously, the Vali produces a nice change for DT1350 owners.  

Mike

Sure.  I watched the Vali thread for a while, so I'm up on the sound signature and microphonics.  But, it's nice to hear about how it pairs with specific headphones.  I also have the DT880 and I've heard good things about it paired with the Vali as well.

As for the 1350, I've found it a little funny with certain amps.  I actually love it with my Audinst HUD-mx1, but really don't like it at all when paired with my Asgard 1.  I have no idea what it is, but the Asgard just make the 1350s sound a bit lifeless and bland.  I really don't have the technical know-how to understand why that may be occuring. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back